You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Lake Placid Adult Camps  (Read 14345 times)

Offline Pandora

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 3
Lake Placid Adult Camps
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:05:49 AM »
They just posted the dates and started registration for this year. http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/programs/adult.php Can't wait to go again! It was so much fun and I learned a lot!  :) I changed jobs, so I'll be going in August this year. Is anyone else thinking of attending? If you are on the fence, it is definitely worth it! Everyone is so nice! The Protopopovs were there and Mr. Protopopov gave me some tips from the side of the rink. It was AWESOME!  :)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: Lake Placid Adult Camps
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
I'm thinking about it!  Probably the weekend or just part of August.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 03:16:52 AM »
I may go for the weekend one.  Need to rent a house because I am not going to mountains and leaving my dog in the city!  I may be looking for some roomies who love dogs.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline Pandora

• Axelicious!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 09:07:17 AM »
I think The Golden Arrow (across from the rink) is pet friendly.  :) http://www.golden-arrow.com/accommodations/pet-friendly-lodging/

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 08:30:51 PM »
Thanks @Pandora.  They have a lot of rules and don't let them stay in the room alone.  I had found a house that said "please bring your dogs, this house is for dogs"!  Nice fenced in yard, etc.  Sounded perfect.   :)
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:37:26 PM »
Here's some information on LP if you are planning on going. I try to keep it up to date.

http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/p/lake-placid-skate-camp-review.html
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 08:42:48 PM »
Just registered for June!

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 02:47:34 PM »
For those who have been to the Lake Placid camp before:  How big are the lockers?  Would they hold a Transpack backpack, or should I aim for a smaller bag?

Offline Jf12

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »
The lockers are in width and height the same as regular school lockers.  The bag will fit and the skates will fit, but you'll have to smash the bag down a little and put your skates on top.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 04:58:25 PM »
The lockers are in width and height the same as regular school lockers.  The bag will fit and the skates will fit, but you'll have to smash the bag down a little and put your skates on top.

You can leave the skates in the lockr overnight. I just bring them and the rest of my gear into the rink on the first day in something like a cheap cloth grocery bag and take the bag back to my hotel.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 05:50:05 PM »
That's very helpful, thanks!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
Unless you're driving to LP, it's easiest to just pack your skates in your luggage and put them in the locker once you pay for it and get the combo. That's why I mentioned the cheap cloth grocery bag. It doesn't take much space in your suitcase.

I don't think I've seen anyone bring a skate bag unless they're a local. When there was a large kid's camp at the same time, you'd see Zuca's , but kids don't use the dressing room. Or at least they didn't.

The skate camp for kids last year was much,much smaller. I was told it's because the school year now starts earlier, so kids can't come in the end of August. I also haven't seen kids hockey camps or synchro camps for the last couple of years. That means more ice time for adults!  Maybe in the future they'll fill the time up with adult hockey camps.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 09:48:07 AM »
It's about a 4 hour drive for me, so that's what I'm doing- probably actually faster than flying would be, and certainly less hassle.  I've done the cheap packable bag before when I've flown places, though.  I'll plan for that here too.

I'll be there for the June weekend, not August, so the kid camp situation may be different. 

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 12:05:39 PM »
It's about a 4 hour drive for me, so that's what I'm doing- probably actually faster than flying would be, and certainly less hassle.  I've done the cheap packable bag before when I've flown places, though.  I'll plan for that here too.

I'll be there for the June weekend, not August, so the kid camp situation may be different.

You're lucky. I have to drive 4-5 hours after I've flown to the airport at Albany.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 10:56:47 PM »
The schedule for the June weekend just got emailed out.  One rink has adult practice ice available all day (7 am to 7 pm; first hour is patch); classes are on the other rink from about 9 to 2.  Now I have to start prioritizing which classes I want... there's a lot to choose from but I have a feeling I should pace myself.

I'm also considering a detour on the way up or back, over to the Fenimore Art Museum to see the Dick Button skating collection.  It's a bit off my path but would be far less total travel time if I fold it into this trip than if I do it as a solo trip later.

Offline RoaringSkates

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 09:47:52 PM »
I was thinking of seeing the Dick Button exhibit, too! I wasn't planning on going to Lake Placid, though. However, I guess I thought it was a lot further away than it perhaps is - I live about 1.5 hours south of Albany. So that makes Lake Placid maybe only 5.5 hours' drive? So now I'm kind of thinking of this.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 09:55:46 PM »
I was thinking of seeing the Dick Button exhibit, too! I wasn't planning on going to Lake Placid, though. However, I guess I thought it was a lot further away than it perhaps is - I live about 1.5 hours south of Albany. So that makes Lake Placid maybe only 5.5 hours' drive? So now I'm kind of thinking of this.

My original estimate from Albany to LP was wrong. It's 2 hours. You could make it in 3 ahd a half.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 10:23:59 PM »
My original estimate from Albany to LP was wrong. It's 2 hours. You could make it in 3 ahd a half.

For me, from northern NJ, Lake Placid is 4.5 hours (if you trust Google).  Detouring to the museum would make that 7 hours plus museum time (3.5 hrs NJ to museum, 3.5 hrs museum to Lake Placid).  I'm guessing that seeing the exhibit might take a couple of hours or so, so I think I can make this work.  More likely on the way home on Monday so I don't feel pressed for time.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 06:47:46 PM »
Hey AgnesNitt, they've turned on the clocks on the hockey displays!  No need for a slap watch.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 09:12:58 PM »
Hey AgnesNitt, they've turned on the clocks on the hockey displays!  No need for a slap watch.

ThankS!!!!  I'll update my post.

Did you have a good time?

Also, did they paint the dressing room or put a big fan in?

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 09:50:03 PM »
I've got one more day to go... I've been pacing myself but I'm planning to go for broke tomorrow (8 or 9 classes).  It's been fun so far!

No idea about the locker room; I didn't pay close attention.  I'll try to look tomorrow.  I didn't bother with a locker because I have too much stuff I want to keep with me (snacks, phone, water, etc.) but I've been putting skates on in there just to hang out with other skaters.

Offline Pandora

• Axelicious!
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 09:03:54 PM »
Hi! :) Is anyone going to the August Camp? I will be there on Thurs, Fri and Sat. (Wish I could get more time off work.)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 06:51:35 PM »
Hi! :) Is anyone going to the August Camp? I will be there on Thurs, Fri and Sat. (Wish I could get more time off work.)

Probably not, because I have a bunch of other stuff going on that week now.   :(  Someone else from my rink may be going, though.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 07:28:30 PM »
Adult skate is the only thing going on next week at Lake Placid. I've been there before when we were scheduled to alternate the ice with synchro and kid skaters. Now it's just adults.

I don't know what that says about the longevity of the program--unless something like hockey is taking up one of the 3 rinks, it's going to be pretty empty. And what outside coaches will be there may depend on how many adults are there.

http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/programs/sum_cal.php

Oh, yeah testing is on the first day of camp.

Offline Pandora

• Axelicious!
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 07:10:20 AM »
Oh well, at least there will be lots of ice time for us adults.  :) Hope they keep the program going. I love going there!  :love: