You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Training when exhausted?  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Hedwig

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
Training when exhausted?
« on: February 22, 2017, 05:22:49 AM »
I recently came back to the ice and my condition is pants.

From my skate camp 5 years ago I remember that it is possible to skate and not feel the exhaustion ON THE ICE, even if I could hardly WALK off the ice.
(I think that is part of the skating addiction ;-) )

But I wonder how wise it is to do that now? I skated yesterday at night for 1.5h - including going there by bike and back and some warm-up, that was more than 2 hours exercise at once and today I am really exhausted, I feel every muscle and if I use them they tremble.

Originally I had thought to go back to the ice next morning for public session next week (after the same work-out like yesterday the night before - this week I had no time to do so).
But would that be wise or would it be wiser to wait a day to give the body more time to rest?

The season here stops at the end of March and I am very eager (maybe overeager) to get as much skating as possible done in that time period and might not always be sensible.  :angel:

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Re: Training when exhausted?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 12:31:34 PM »
Doing this long time may lead to overtraining.

Offline Hedwig

• Under the Edge
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 01:28:09 PM »
For a long time, yes. For a few weeks?

Anyway, I decided to cancel every off-ice work-out (except biking because I have no car and go everywhere by bike) and concentrate everything on the on-ice as long as I can. It is only another 5 weeks after all. Sniff.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 08:47:45 PM »
Stretch well after skating, especially your quadriceps muscles and calves, which get overused.  A foam roller or portable roller is also good to use on your outer quads after skating.
I don't know how old you are, but I really need to take a day off between skating days now to let my body recuperate. Otherwise, I pay for it with overuse injuries.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 09:54:32 PM »
Hedwig, you're older now. Even if you're young five years can make a difference.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Hedwig

• Under the Edge
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 03:38:55 AM »
thanks for the voices of reason.

I am 38 but not always wise when the skating addiction grabs me. ;-)

I took the day off yesterday (more because I had to for work issues than because I wanted to) and I really feel the difference. I will hit the ice in about an hour and I feel rested and eager and cannot wait. :)