You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Columbus OH pro shops?  (Read 1498 times)

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Columbus OH pro shops?
« on: December 04, 2016, 05:23:45 PM »
For the longest time, the OSU ice rink had a sterling reputation for skate outfitting. There was an older fellow named "Duke" who did superb fittings. I have purchased several pairs of skates from Duke/OSU over the years. But it's been almost 10 years since I purchased new skates, and am looking around for possible replacements. The leather linings in my current boots are cracking.

Well, Duke retired.

Is the OSU rink still the preferred pro-shop in central Ohio despite the loss of Duke's services and skills?
Bill Schneider

Offline skatemom189

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
Re: Columbus OH pro shops?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 12:19:02 AM »
Cleveland has an excellent skate shop, Skaters Edge.  They take care of national and international competitors, as well as my no-test DD.  Recommended.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »
Thanks for the mention of Skaters Edge in Cleveland. We have a disproportionate number of skating students from Cleveland compared to other locations, so I knew there had to be a good shop 'way up north'.

That's a very long trip though and I'd like to avoid travelling that much if OSU in Columbus (only 1-1/2 hours away) still does a good job. I am guessing that there aren't many Columbus skaters on this board. I might have to talk to some of the skaters I meet next time I get to a Columbus rink.

If the OSU rink in Columbus has slipped in reputation (and if the Chiller rinks haven't risen to the occasion), then it's off to Cleveland.
Bill Schneider

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 08:21:20 AM »
I heard from another figure skater that Duke was replaced with two people - one for figure skates, and another for hockey. The person fitting figure skates at the Columbus OSU rink is Tony ______  (she wasn't sure of his last name),  and that calling ahead for an appointment is requested. The web site doesn't offer names of the fitters, just a general pro-shop phone number (614) 292-4154.

I'll reply here once I know his last name for the benefit of others.

Bill Schneider

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 11:24:05 AM »
I followed up on my friend's information and called the OSU rink to get more details.

The new figure skate fitter's name is Tony Habart. An appointment must be scheduled in advance, and the best way to reach him is via email.
His email address is habart.1@osu.edu
Bill Schneider

Offline amkw

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 04:42:04 PM »
Former Columbus resident here! I was fitted by Duke about two years ago when he was still there also. I've known Tony about the same amount of time as well though and he's great! He's the only person I trusted to sharpen my skates and I also took adult group lessons with him. Though he didn't fit me he's been working with figure skates for a long time and I've seen him work with those I've skated with. He's wonderful :)

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 04:44:29 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation!

The votes keep coming in, so it sounds like he's the new go-to guy in the central Ohio area.
Bill Schneider