You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Wrist guard recommendations?  (Read 4187 times)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
Wrist guard recommendations?
« on: June 15, 2016, 02:15:12 PM »
Anyone use wrist guards that aren't too uncomfortable?  Thinking about adding this to my protection list....  TIA
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Wrist guard recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 02:45:21 PM »
I wear the Rollerblade XT Wristguards.  Compact, lightweight, comfortable.  And they work (saved my wrists on numerous falls).  I wear them over thin leather dress gloves (otherwise my fingers get cold).

https://www.amazon.com/Rollerblade-Bladegear-Wristguard-Black-Large/dp/B00BFPH19M/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466016040&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=rollerblde+xt+wristguards

Also, see this previous thread:

http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=7009.msg83559#msg83559

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 03:35:08 PM »
Thanks @tstop4me I found them locally in a small and large so will go try them tomorrow.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 03:36:07 PM »
Thanks @lutefisk, will check those out too.  Maybe they'll have it in town to try.

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 06:20:26 PM »
I wear these....  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046EZ5A6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wear stretchy knit gloves over them for additional warmth and to give me a bit of traction if I go sliding across the ice with them. When I very first started skating I had a fall that resulted in a sprained left wrist that I had to wear a brace on for about six weeks to heal. I kept skating while it was healing, using these wrist guards instead of my brace when I was skating, and I did have a hard sit-down type fall backwards during that time. I caught myself with both hands and the wrist guards worked great, not only was my injured wrist protected from further injury, my good hand/wrist was protected as well.

I feel like I have good finger mobility in these, they have little half fingers on them. My husband, on the other hand, has very large hands, and even with the XL ones that were supposed to fit (according to the sizing chart) he is unable to wiggle his fingers and basically refuses to wear them. I keep them as a back up if we have friends or family that want to try skating, I stuck them on my teenage stepson when he first went skating with us and when he went down hard several times, I heard the plastic hit loudly many times. I am convinced they are good protection for many people, especially newbies.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »
I've got a slightly older version of these: https://www.amazon.com/Burton-Impact-Wrist-Guard/dp/B010HT2H04/ref=pd_sim_sbs_468_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=61NqYhSUTYL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=WR0P5HXF8JYVMTB7FFG4

I wear them over thin knit gloves.  The only slightly annoying thing is that the velcro straps are longer than I need (I got large, but I'm at the small end of the large), so they stick out and catch on stuff.  Recently I trimmed the ends off but need to stitch the new ends back together (the velcro is coming off of the strap). So long as I'm at it I'm planning to edge it with a little bit of felt or something just to keep the velcro away from stuff.  I can't say how well they actually work since because I haven't fallen on them yet, but they seem good. 

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »
Thanks.

@skategeek what is the loop at the bottom for?

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 08:50:06 PM »
Thanks.

@skategeek what is the loop at the bottom for?

You know, I'm not even sure.  I use it to help pull the guards on over my gloves; it makes it a little easier but it certainly isn't necessary.  I assume that's it's intended function but maybe there's some other use for it?

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 10:20:19 PM »
I currently use "187" brand wrist guards,  with a chunk of dense EVA foam stuffed in between the lower splint and the palm, to take the edge off any impacts.   I've tossed the upper splints because I believe they're ineffective.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 02:10:04 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I bought the Bladegear.  Tried another "traditional" set on that was very uncomfortable but the Bladegear feels pretty good.  Thanks @tstop4me.

Offline xoxo_tw

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 01:13:04 PM »
I've had good luck with flexmeter wrist guards:  http://snowboardsecrets.com/flexmeter-snowboard-gloves-and-flexmeter-wrist-guards/

yeah ,  flexmeter is the way to go... I use them in the summer when I do quad rollerskating,  they are bulletproof for your wrists....

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 01:30:32 PM »
Are the Flexmeter's hot?  The ones I bought make me really hot.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »
I don't find my flexmeters to be hot and I tend to get sweaty on all but the coldest days at the rink.  Currently it gets to the mid-90s here and inside the rink, the temp hovers around 60 degrees or so.  My flexmeters are sweaty at the end of a 2 hour public but I'm not aware of them being hot.  I just air them out along with my boots.  I give them an occasional wash with wool-lite in warm water.  It takes a while for them to dry out but since I have two pair it's not a problem for me.  On cold mid-winter days at the rink or when skating outdoors I wear thin gloves under them.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 09:38:02 PM »
Thanks @lutefisk

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 10:04:43 PM »
Are the Flexmeter's hot?  The ones I bought make me really hot.

Perhaps there's a wide variation with the skater, and you can't tell by others' experiences.  I was the one that recommended the Rollerblade Bladegear XT wristguards that you ended up buying.  I wear them over thin leather dress gloves that are lined with Thinsulate.  Even during the summer, when the rink is warm, my hands don't get hot (or even overly warm), though I get very sweaty on other parts of my body.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 10:11:21 PM »
Yup, true.  Everyone is different.  I can get really hot skating, most of the time.  Today I didn't wear the guards.  I've been forgetting my Ribcap lately too in the beginning, which I always wear, until someone says, oh I didn't recognize you without it.  Then I get the rest of the safety gear on.