You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: I came I saw I semi-conquered--a day at a USFS test session  (Read 1990 times)

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Re: I came I saw I semi-conquered--a day at a USFS test session
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 07:40:07 PM »
Well, congrats on passing the CT!  I am working on the first 3 dances as well, and I think the DW is much harder than CT.  The swing rolls are just so hard to do big enough and fast enough while keeping in time to the music.  Did you test the dances solo or with a partner?  I have only worked on the dances solo but if I ever test them, I think I'd like to test them with a partner.  But the thought of our feet so close together - yikes!  Some of the comments seem a little harsh considering this is supposed to be an encouragement test (kind of like Adult Pre-Bronze Moves in the Field, or Pre-Preliminary MIF on the standard track.)  I had no idea there were 2 marks to the dance test scores, and that a judge needed to pass you on both to be considering a passing score (by that judge).   I congratulate you on being brave enough to try testing, and again, I applaud you on passing the CT!

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Re: I came I saw I semi-conquered--a day at a USFS test session
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 09:10:24 AM »
Thanks Live2Sk8.  As I pointed out to one of the commenters on my blog, one needs to keep in mind that perhaps "friendly" judge Nr 1 was the outlier rather than the two more critical judges.  If my edges had been deeper and my timing not rushed I probably would have received passing marks from at least one more judge when I skated the DW.  My coach has warned me about rushing the music on the DW and no doubt that's what 2 out of 3 judges saw as well.  Having gone through the process I know what needs to get fixed in order to pass.

To answer your question about whether I was solo or with partner, I skated with my coach, and to further flesh out comments on the judging standards, I think the judges do cut adults some lack in as much as (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the more rigorous IJS judging standards don't kick in until one gets to the pre-silver test level.  Judges take a lot of heat, but without a critical eye one doesn't improve.