You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skates- Working title: Buy All the Things  (Read 2646 times)

Offline donanobispacem

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 8
  • What's worth doing is worth doing well.
Skates- Working title: Buy All the Things
« on: May 08, 2016, 04:33:40 PM »
I need some skate advice. My munchkin started in Snowplow 1 at the beginning of this year, and she has really taken to skating. She takes two 1/2 hour private lessons per week and a half hour of LTS. Right now, she's working on the usual stroking/gliding/edges and starting two-foot spins. While she isn't a super competitive kid, she has a couple of competitions coming up and she is really motivated to keep learning new elements. She's in a pair of Jackson Excels now and she's perfectly happy in them. We bought them not really knowing if she was going to stick with skating, but knowing that her wide feet were getting really uncomfortable in her Reidell 110s. My question (finally) is how soon, if at all, we're going to need to upgrade. I've been looking at the ratings on the Jackson and Reidell lines and, while I definitely don't want to be that parent who overboots her beginning skater, I also want to make sure my DD's is getting what she needs to do well with all of the work she's putting in. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

PS- We haven't consumed enough Koolaid to buy a Zuca bag. Yet.  :blush:

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
Re: Skates- Working title: Buy All the Things
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »
If she is comfy then I wouldn't worry about it. If she sticks with it, then you have plenty of years to spend all sorts of money on expensive skates ;). I think most kids end up outgrowing their boots before wearing them out so that tends to be a good time to reassess boot/blade needs.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 06:10:26 PM »
Welcome to the never-ending money pit of figure skating parenthood! Luckily it's also got the never-ending joy of seeing your child achieve amazing things!

She should be fine in those until she outgrows them. How old is she?

Offline donanobispacem

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 8
  • What's worth doing is worth doing well.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 07:29:14 PM »
She's only five- just turned five at that. I'm glad to hear she'll be okay in what she has for now, especially since I've recently discovered that hotfix stones are routinely purchased by the gross!  :o

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 08:33:52 PM »
Actually, I buy by the 10 gross - cheaper that way. We are finally on the other side of crazy growth spurts and purchasing skates twice a year - thank goodness. Enjoy every moment!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 10:08:41 AM »
She's only five- just turned five at that. I'm glad to hear she'll be okay in what she has for now, especially since I've recently discovered that hotfix stones are routinely purchased by the gross!  :o

You'd be surprised at how small the pouch is for a gross of rhinestones.  I was expecting a big box and the shipment came in a little padded envelope, lol.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright