You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Edea boots sole length n blade issue  (Read 9610 times)

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
Re: Edea boots sole length n blade issue
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 01:14:50 AM »
Edea boots don't have high heels.  And I don't know any popular brand of skates on the market (I've had almost all of them, except Harlick and Graf, and I've deconstructed many of them to measure heels and troubleshoot my own foot problems) that have a heel height that is lower than Edeas by an amount that would matter.

The footbed profile placebos people into thinking the heels are high, but they are not.

The decrease in blade size was likely a bigger issue.  0.5" is a huge difference and you're going to feel like you've gone from an 8' Rockered Blade down to a 6' with that kind of change (figuratively, not literally :-P ).  If you've been skating on the longer blade for a long time, you may never adjust well to such change.  The obvious fix for that is to go up 0.25" and mount end-to-end (which is what the poster above has done).

As for mounting Edeas, they tend to be mounted like any other blade.  Personally, I prefer an end-to-end mounting on Edeas (for myself, I used to skate in them) on them because the design of the boot has much to do with the smaller sole measurement.  The smaller measurement is expected with such a slanted footbed, but the external heel design (where the blade is mounted) also has implications in reducing blade sizing for those skates.

I'm not sure about other people, but I can feel where my heel is mounted on my boot when I am skating.  In Edeas, I couldn't skate when they mounted 0.25 off the back of the boot.  It felt way too forward, and it the shorter blade made the boots feel extremely steep.  It was scary.  I had to go up to an end-to-end mounting on them, which was actually helpful, because when I switched off I just reused the same blades on the "longer" boot soles for SP-Teri :-P

I also mounted Klingbeils and Risports end-to-end.  Jacksons I had 0.25" off the back, and I couldn't really "skate" in them.

Mounting blades (gap vs. end to end, alignment, etc.) is really personal though.  Like rocker profiles and R.O.H. for sharpening, Lol.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 02:02:56 AM »
I got a pair of used Ice fly's about a month ago and they are a 240, with a 8 3/4 blade. The blade is not heel to toe. There is space at the heel like a blade mounting on a "conventional" boot.
I was watching a video of Julia Lipnitskaya and her blades are mounted the same way as mine are and she seems to be fine with it.  Julia has Gold Seal blades on her Ice Fly's, as I do as well. I had not been able to try my Ice Fly's out yet, due to fitting problems. I hope to try them out this week. :0)
Standard Guidelines call for a gap at the end, Edeas included.  However, it's largely personal.  If you are done growing, you can use whichever mount you find most comfortable to you... End-to-End of with <= 0.25" space behind the heel mounting plate.  I look at this like I would Rocker Profiles, Radius of Hollow, Pick Designs, and Rocker Radius.  Different Strokes for different folk.  None of them are "wrong," even if some are more popular (or conventional).  Some people will prefer it differently.

I used an end-to-end mounting on Edeas, SP-Teri, Riedell, Klingbeil, and Risport skates.  I tried a "conventional" mounting on Jacksons (to save money), and skating felt unstable (even though I could just and spin just fine).

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 02:45:00 PM »
Someone posted a reply to this thread (I won't say who, since they apparently deleted the post, though it had already been emailed to people like me who requested topic replies), which cited Edea's brtu interesting webpage discussing their heel and footbed:

http://ice.edeaskates.com/en/features/more-control-greater-sensitivity/

That page says that Edea has a substantially different heel wedge (what they call the bend in the footbed around the front of the heel) than "traditional" figure skates - that they are curved rather than flat.

However, both my several year old Graf Edmonton Special boots, and my 12 or 13 year old Klingbeil ice dance boots, have curved heel wedges that looks fairly similar to what Edea is implying to be novel and special. Could they be using "traditional" to referr to something older than 12 or 13 years?

Edea also implies that their boot uses an insole that places the foot closer to the ice than traditional boots. I can't test that claim without having an Edea boot to look at and measure.

Edea's page doesn't say anything about having a higher heel, on average, than other brands, though that doesn't mean they don't. It's hard to believe that they are higher than is often put on ice dance boots - I had Klingbeil modify mine, because they were initially high enough to hurt my feet.