You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Unilateral Neck And Shoulder Tension/Pain  (Read 1940 times)

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Unilateral Neck And Shoulder Tension/Pain
« on: February 02, 2016, 02:03:52 PM »
I have a long standing tension issue in my right neck/shoulder.  Specifically tightness in the traps and whatever the muscles are that go up underneath it to just behind and below the ear.    Every thing on that side clicks and crunches in a gloriously worrying manner.    No actual trapped nerves, they feel different, this is just dull muscle tension.

I think I'm looking at a muscle imbalance here.  I think the right muscles are over engaging to take up the slack from left muscles that aren't pulling their weight  i.e. I need to do some left side work.   Doesn't help that I'm right-handed and play the violin (the devil's own invention for making muscle imbalances).   Plus I have the bad unconscious habit of lifting my right shoulder when I'm doing anything even remotely scary on skates.

Suggestions as to exercises to balance stuff up?

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Unilateral Neck And Shoulder Tension/Pain
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 09:29:36 AM »
I would suggest mimicking the position of holding the violin as though you were left handed for essentially the same amount of time as when you practice. Next I would work on weighted shoulder shrugs with dumbbells but use a heavier weight on the left than on the right. Also consider some deep massage to help soften/relax the right shoulder muscles. Try to be very mindful of your posture at all times and keep things properly aligned and balanced. My thoughts are that this will be a long drawn out process like learning to skate.

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 07:42:51 AM »
Ithink jbruced's suggestions are good.
Evening up muscle strength and self correcting your posture are good, but I expect it's more than muscle imbalance, everything could be a little bit kinked in your spine.
I went to school with a keen violinist and she was already at the age of 15  having professional work done because of spine issues.I suggest seeing someone - I have found Mctimony chiropractice helpful in the past - it's not the push and crunch style, which I would be wary of. I only needed one session every year or so.
Also have you asked for help on violin fora? I bet there are some.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 07:39:31 PM »
Massage helps for me to release the tension, but it has to be followed by exercises to strengthen the muscles. A physical therapist (or gym trainer) may be able to help you with it.

If the muscles are tense, there's no point in doing the exercises. The tension has to be released first. At least, that's what works for me.