You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Fun XC ski!  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Fun XC ski!
« on: January 23, 2016, 06:13:48 PM »
DC area has been pretty warm last few years. Couldn't ski without driving far away.

But we are now having WONDERFUL weather (Some folk must have other words for it. Sorry.) I dug out my original 1981 era XC track skis, skiied over to a local park with a few small hills, and played in 12-18" of fresh powder. (about  10 years back I replaced the 3-pin bindings on my track skis with NNN bindings, discovered that I loved them, and that I also loved my lighter, longer, and faster track skis better than my heavy telemark skis too, and started using them exclusively.)

I dressed warm. :)

It was fabulous! Plenty of exercise relearning technique. Balance, edging  and ankle strenth weren't problems, because I've been skating a few times/week. Better scenery in the woods after conditions turned to blizzard.

There was a couple there walking their Samoyed. they were enjoying the weather too, and the Samoyed was exhuberant in his native element. (He must be really uncomfortable around DC most of the time.)

Since I was in track skis, I did sometimes take advantage of where the couple and friend had packed things down. It was definitely faster going after I had set track on the first pass.

All in all, a very fun day. Maybe tomorrow I'll try the telemark skis...

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Fun XC ski!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 03:10:09 AM »
I rollerski all year round for the cross training benefits with skating (my ski instructor wants me to start competing in skiing but I've not got that far). Unfortunately, there's no snow where I come from so we have to make do with wheels, so DC sounds absolutely amazing at the moment.

Hope you all keep safe and warm.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 01:36:54 PM »
I knew nothing about roller skiing, (or related nordic skating), before you posted. How interesting!  :love:

Stopping has always been very hard for me on inline and roller skates. Calf braking systems, like are used on some roller skis would simplify that. :)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:45:55 AM »
I knew nothing about roller skiing, (or related nordic skating), before you posted. How interesting!  :love:

Stopping has always been very hard for me on inline and roller skates. Calf braking systems, like are used on some roller skis would simplify that. :)

I rely on friction to stop. I try to avoid my technique that I use on snow which is to topple sideways. Pavement is less forgiving than ice.
But you can also do a snowplough shuffle.

I do thoroughly recommend it for cross training skating as my jumps have become bigger and my twizzles stronger since I started skiing.
And I can win most balance contests with the skiiers because of skating...