You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: CARPET OR RUG FOR USE ON ICE  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Michelle @ GIA

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
CARPET OR RUG FOR USE ON ICE
« on: April 29, 2018, 10:38:32 AM »
This is my first time on this forum.  I'm planning a toddler program at our new ice rink in Southwest Michigan.  I'd like to use a rug/carpet on the ice for the first 1 or 2 classes so I can take the 3 & 4 year olds who've never been in an ice rink onto the ice...hoping this gets them a little acclimated before the lesson in which they put on skates.  Can anyone recommend the type of rug, please?  I'm thinking a 7'x9' or 8'x10'.  I am not sure what kind of backing I'd need so it doesn't slide on the ice or if considering the type of backing even matters.

Thank you!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: CARPET OR RUG FOR USE ON ICE
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 01:22:49 PM »
They use a couple of the speed skating crash pads at my rink. The kids can go sit down when they've had enough. I think they also place a few toys on it. They have it out for every class, not just the first ones. They're heavy enough to not slide around but can easily be moved when they need to be. And they're the right height for the kids to climb on to.
I think it's quite good that it's something they have to get up onto, as it means when they're standing they're on the ice and it's only when sitting that they're not. There isn't that whole transition from rug to ice which I struggle enough with at competitions, so I suspect it's quite easy for a little one to forget what's where. They struggle enough with looking where they're going.