You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: When the coach is a bully  (Read 1363 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
When the coach is a bully
« on: January 29, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
I've never witnessed this, but I'm not on the ice hours a day. I've heard stories from other rinks, and I've met a couple of adult skater bullies.

So, if you're interested here's an article from the NYT on coaches who bully.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Twizzler

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
Re: When the coach is a bully
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »
interesting article, thanks for posting.
I think many of us have witnessed this sort of thing. I remember seeing a coach really yelling at a kid about 5 yo, I was thinking that the parent needs to know about this. then the kid stepped off the ice and the parent, who was rink side the whole time started the same thing. poor kid. really tough how to handle this. on the one hand as coaches we are required by law in most states to report evidence of abuse, but on the other had it can be hard to identify the line and when it is crossed, especially in this case, in which the coach and parent were speaking another language, so I couldn't tell what was being said, only that it was loud and sounded angry.

anyone else have similar experience, ever intervened? or reported to authorities?