You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Toying with the idea of SP-Teri's  (Read 2267 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Toying with the idea of SP-Teri's
« on: December 27, 2013, 06:26:07 PM »
So, I've been happy with my Jackson Competitors, but despite the fact that they're still in okay shape, I'm looking for new boots. My forefeet have gotten bigger so I had to cut the boots to give my forefeet room, and I have a narrow heel so I have to skate with a gel tube on my heel.  At this point I'm comfortable skating with them, but it's like I'm skating in a massive home renovation.

I've heard Georg Spiteri say that they've narrowed the heel on the last of their boots, and I wonder if others with a narrow heel and wide forefoot have found them satisfactory.

(PS. If I get new boots I sooooo want to order double scallops on the ankle bend.)
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Toying with the idea of SP-Teri's
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:52:36 AM »
I have custom SPTeri dance boots.  They are custom because I needed a wider forefoot to accommodate my bunions.  They do indeed work well for a narrower heel. 

My boot history:
Started skating in a cheap-o pair of vinyl boots.  Discovered quickly that I could do nothing in them.
Got my first pair of "real" skates - some low-level Jackson model.
When those broke down, got a pair of stock SPTeri's.  Tough break-in back in those days - lots of pain and bloody ankles, but once they were broken in, I really liked them.  They were very pointed in the toe box, though, and caused the bunions.
Switched back to stock Jacksons because of the wider forefoot.  Unfortunately, the heel was also wider and kept slipping. I could not get the ankles laced tightly enough and had to pad out with all the gel pads in the world.  Went through a couple pairs of those, nevertheless.
Finally gave up and went back to SPTeri's, got customs on their recommendation.  These are working out fine.

I think if I could graft the front of a Jackson on to the back of an SPTeri, I would have my perfect boot.

(PS I have the double scallops and really like them.)

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 04:55:59 PM »
Thanks for the comments Clarice.
I saw my skate tech today for a sharpening, and he measured my forefeet against both the Jackson and the Sp-Teri. Neither stock boot comes even close. Jackson only does split widths for Premieres--way, way too stiff--so it looks like SP-Teri customs although Reidell is also an option.

My tech said this is an enormously common problem with adult skaters.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 04:32:56 PM »
I've recently moved from Jacksons to SP-Teris. I was mostly happy with my Jacksons, but there were some minor issues and I wanted to try something different. I was okay with the switch possibly being an expensive mistake.

In the Jacksons, I was wearing a C-width, which was the correct width for the ball of my foot, they always seemed a bit roomy. I couldn't wear tights with the skates without my feet slipping somewhat inside the boots and generally wore smartwool socks instead. I had issues with my heels moving, and had I stayed with Jacksons, I definitely would have ordered a split width. I was afraid, though, that the heel wasn't the only fit issue, and that while the width was correct, the boot just had a little too much volume for my foot. It may be worth noting that I was originally fit in a 10C in the Jacksons, but I only wore those for a few weeks before I knew they were too big. The fitter hesitantly ordered me a 9C and 8.5C to try after that, and even though the 8.5C was hard to get my heel into when fitting, that's the one I chose and that's the pair I'm talking about finding too roomy.

I had my feet measured for SP-Teris by a local rep and we sent the measurements to SP-Teri. They chose a size based on the measurements--a 9.5B with C ball. When they arrived, they felt like boats. The fitter encouraged me to heat mold them and try them on again, see if I could tie them tighter, etc. I did this for about a week but they still felt wrong. It happened that about a week or two later, I was going to be in San Francisco, so I brought the skates with me and paid SP-Teri a visit in person. George Spiteri took one look at the boots on me and knew they were too big. I tried on a few other things and checked the measurements from the fitter (he got the same numbers!). We decided to exchange them for a 9.5A with a B ball. When those arrived, they felt more like boots that belonged on my feet. It's not a custom boot, it's just a combination last. I don't know how many width differences they will do for the standard split width up-charge. My experience with SP-Teri was that they answered the phone every time I called and were able to satisfactorily answer my questions.

These boots have been much stiffer than I was used to, and at first my heel seemed to move, but since I've heat molded them and they've begun to conform to my foot more, that doesn't seem to be an issue. That was the opposite of what happened in the Jacksons, where the heel was initially tight and just seemed to get bigger and bigger. I'm able to wear these skates with tights. I also initially thought that I would need the pinky toe punched out, but now I'm glad that I did not have them punched, as they've definitely stretched to be just right. Keep in mind I've only been skating in these boots for about 2 months, but I'm at a point where I don't really think about them anymore--I mostly just skate. I'm happy with them so far, but they're still pretty new to me.

That's been my experience, and though it may not directly answer your question about the heel width, I thought I'd chime in. I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have about my experience going from Jacksons to SP-Teris.

"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 07:54:02 PM »
That was the opposite of what happened in the Jacksons, where the heel was initially tight and just seemed to get bigger and bigger.

That's exactly what happened to me in both the Competitors and my Finesse. I was able to skate in the Competitors by cutting the forefoot of the boot and wearing gel tubes. The Finesse  I started out with gel tubes and inside about a year my feet were wallowing around in them.

I like the idea of going to San Francisco, but out of the question now unless miraculously an critical conference happens.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »
SP Teri seems to travel to quite a lot of competitions for fittings - you might contact them and see when they're sending a fitter out near you.