You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Average training/skating per week for a child  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Misyask8

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Average training/skating per week for a child
« on: September 02, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »
I wonder what is an average or appropriate skating workload is for, let's say, 7-9yo? My dd skates 2 times/week w/coach (1hr each lesson, as she is preparing for pre-pre MITF, program skate in FS3 and learning elements), takes 2hr bridge class once  week and skates another 3hrs alone, so total: ~7hr more/less.

reason I am asking is because one coach at another rink thought 1hr twice a week is TOO MUCH for an 8yo . however, besides the fact that she likes to skate, I see other girls who are sort of serious about the sport skate even more? I don't think 30min lesson would suffice and also we cant be at rink daily either...

thanks

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Average training/skating per week for a child
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:29:46 AM »
Are you concerned about lesson time, or total skating time?  Both sound totally reasonable to me.  It depends on your skater's health, finances, and goals.  Most people on this board would skate 40 hours a week if they could afford it.

Offline Misyask8

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:56:27 AM »
thanks for reply. I wasn't concerned about either, until that other lady coach made a comment about how much my dd trains. she hinted on fact that I might be loading up too much "lesson" time, i.e. being taken for money and she could do it in two 30min lessons. ;-)

since we are new to sports, I am trying to learn as much as possible. obviously our resources are limited and we need to allocate them in most efficient way,

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 12:28:57 PM »
Sounds to me like this coach might be trying to solicit some business which is frowned upon in this sport.  If your daughter is progressing and enjoying it and you can afford it I say keep it up.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 01:18:50 PM »
Only you know your child, but I have seen some children at around that age with hour long lessons (and at rather too early in the morning for their age) who struggle to concentrate for that long. A lot of school lessons wouldn't be more than 30min long for that same reason. But there are children who can concentrate that long and so would benefit from an hour long lesson.
Personally while I might like it, I would find it too exhausting but it depends on what I am working on.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »
I just wanted to chime in to say that I also think that an hour lesson is too long for a child.  But if it is working out there is really no problem with it.

More practice time and less lesson time I think is a good option.

Offline Misyask8

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »
thanks, synchcat, fsk8er and icedancer...good feedback. I also thought 1hr might be too long. but my dd seems to be doing well it and its neither too late or early timewise. I also noticed that she often gets most momentum built up after 30min (usually-and its been only two months of that-they warm up, mitf prep, then elements, like jumps and spins, and program).

I will talk to her coach, but think if we can only do twice a week with her then 30min might be really not enough. I would personally like 4 30min than 2 1hr + practice afterward...but my dd isn't one of those kids who can do it on her own for an hour effectively...

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 10:09:14 PM »
no need to change if it has worked well. with both moves and freestyle program in the mix I think it's reasonable. it usually takes me at least an hour to practice (keep up with) everything I currently work on.

regarding effective practice, what about carrying a notebook or binder and ask her coach to put detailed practice plan / list in it :)  Element A 3x, checked. Program run thru, checked.

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 10:12:40 PM »
I suppose it depends on how the hour is structured. If the kid is doing well wit one hour, don't change it.
Half hour is really short if you have to put in warm up and skill.

:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 12:16:06 AM »
but my dd isn't one of those kids who can do it on her own for an hour effectively...

And this is why some people need lots of lessons to improve.

Offline Misyask8

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »
no need to change if it has worked well. with both moves and freestyle program in the mix I think it's reasonable. it usually takes me at least an hour to practice (keep up with) everything I currently work on.

regarding effective practice, what about carrying a notebook or binder and ask her coach to put detailed practice plan / list in it :)  Element A 3x, checked. Program run thru, checked.

thanks, that's a great suggestion. i have been thinking about doing it a more planned session when alone as well. only thing is (and maybe its just her age -8yo- she mostly wants to skate aorund and have more playtime on ice when alone)  ;-)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 10:51:16 AM »
thanks, that's a great suggestion. i have been thinking about doing it a more planned session when alone as well. only thing is (and maybe its just her age -8yo- she mostly wants to skate aorund and have more playtime on ice when alone)  ;-)

I've seen kids with the notebooks. They have to do X of an element before moving on. And when finished they're allowed playtime.
Then again, some playtime is constructive if they're playing at making new spin combinations and jump sequences or who can hold the edge longest/furthest, etc.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »
For me, a half hour lesson for every 5 hours of skating is right for me.  I practice really hard between lessons, working on what my coach wanted me to try to improve.  I have to have my own "homework" time, where I figure it out.  And, I really am proud when my coach sees an improvement in an aspect.  But, I am a mid-40's person who has discipline.

Some kids are on the ice for many hours a week, but just tool/fool around.  They are not stretching their limits. For them, it may seem like they need a drill sergeant to watch over their skating every second.  Honestly, I think that they don't like skating all that much, and are doing it for their parents.  The kids that really like the sport, have a spark on the ice and see each new move as a challenge. 

If the kid is more mature and spends about 80% of their time actually working on what the coach told them to do, they are learning.  I strongly recommend a child of this age have a notebook where the coach writes down what is needed to be done.  Also, when I was a kid, I "paired up" with other skaters to work together.  We'd take turns doing a spin, and critqued each other, supported each other, counted revolutions, all sorts of stuff.    We'd take turns jumping, have contests, and it was a fun hour.  We actually ended up doing alot of spins & jumps in an hour (more then if we were fooling around alone), and we made friends and had alot of fun.  As long as the coaches saw us moving and working, they left us alone.  But, if we were chit-chatting, then we got a stern warning.  Remember, skating is a very lonely sport.  You have to balance "fun time" with work.  If it's all work and all alone, she'll get burned out. 

That being said, once she is doing doubles/triples, then the lessons need to be more frequent for her safety. Any "bad habit" can not be tolerated, as her risk of injury increases.

Is she doing any ballet and/or yoga?  I strongly think ballet is needed for all skaters of all ages and abilities.  Put her in a real dance school for an hour a week ballet class.  Check out the dance school, as some promote healthy body & mind images.  While others don't, and are run like a cult (google "Dance Cult" or "Ballet Cult.")   My daughter's dance school has a cafe where they sell all sorts of foods, including some junk foods.  And, the heavier girls are in the front row, if they are the better dancer.  Some things to look out for.

Offline Misyask8

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 09:48:31 PM »
thanks, Neverdull44...yes, kids tool around a lot ;-) and mine's no different. however, she does have some friends that when they skate, they do practice. and ballet is a good suggestion. we actually enrolled into a very reputable dance school in NY, so hopefully all these things will come together. my most ambitious plan is to be able to cultivate discipline, hard work and focus in sport and then apply it for school (and vice versa). tall order...