You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dancers turned freestylers!  (Read 1933 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Dancers turned freestylers!
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:58:34 AM »
So I posted in this thread something about freeskate-trained dancers: http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=5183.0.

I figured the other way around is just as interesting, although is probably rarer. Does anyone know of a high-level freestyler who started in dance, OR was primarily trained by a dancer? I'd love to see videos, for comparison. My guess is dance will give them a different posture, although I don't know if that would be noticeable given the performance nature of freestyle.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Dancers turned freestylers!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:07:52 AM »
it's a very very unusual route

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:58:46 PM »
Most high level skaters I know started in free and switched to dance. Those which have then gone onto coach, tend to emphasise dance posture and the emphasis on turnout, neat feet, etc, even with their free skaters.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »
Children who start as ice dancers are usually not taught to jump. I know a girl who is a very advanced ice dancer, and she can't even do a waltz jump. it's not that she doesn't have the natural ability: no one ever worked with her on freestyle. Now one of her coaches is teaching her spins, footwork, but those things are only done to supplement her training as a dancer. I don't think she would ever want to switch to freestyle, and even if she had such an idea, she would be way behind other kids her age who started earlier. Of course, her dancing skills would be an asset, but switching disciplines at this point wouldn't be good.

The opposite happens a lot, usually if the child isn't a good jumper. Unfortunately, some kids are in love with freestyle and don't have the patience for ice dance.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:14:25 AM »
I know a girl who is a very advanced ice dancer, and she can't even do a waltz jump. it's not that she doesn't have the natural ability: no one ever worked with her on freestyle.

Thanks for telling me about this. My freestyle skills aren't getting any better since I don't have a coach who works with me on them. Kinda sad, because whenever I meet people at the rink, they always ask me to do "tricks". Unfortunately, edges and swingrolls don't count as tricks as far as rental skaters are concerned. When my dances get better, hopefully I'll have time to do freestyle.