You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Starting an Off Ice Routine  (Read 2579 times)

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
Starting an Off Ice Routine
« on: July 25, 2013, 05:11:52 PM »
So, it has now come to the point in my skating where coach is talking about introducing spirals (she wants to put one in my programme for November's exhibition). I've never really done off ice work - did practice waltz jumps off ice when I first learnt them, and it did help, so I believe it'll work.

What I need, is a good conditioning/stretching workout for an absolute beginner. Preferably one I can view on Youtube or get on DVD in the UK.

Any ideas? I'm 23 so I've got some hope that stretching will help with my skating :)
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Skating_Jen

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: Starting an Off Ice Routine
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 05:24:03 PM »
Check out blogilates. She does workouts and stretches. She has a stretching routine for the splits and I do it every day and it helps me :-)
It doesn't matter how bad the day/week is as soon as I'm on the ice and hear the sound of my blades it's all good. Nothing else matters on the ice!

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:29:53 PM »
Yoga's good for flexibility too. Just be careful not to overdo it. :)

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 01:25:09 PM »
Hey everyone, thanks for the tips so far!

I am so lucky right now, I had an induction session at a new gym today. It's a health club too, and I could never afford it myself, but my employer is very keen on health and fitness, and is paying for the staff in the (small) company who want it, to have a membership there.

So anyway, I'm now going to be doing more cardio and strength work to help with skating.

My big dilemma is, do I swim or use the gym tomorrow?!
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/