You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dance/skate shapewear?  (Read 5392 times)

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
Dance/skate shapewear?
« on: June 30, 2013, 05:06:11 PM »
My coach wants me to wear a unitard for my James Bond program, and I think it would look decent with the right undergarments (and maybe some artfully placed chiffon, if necessary). Has anyone tried dance shapewear that eliminates pantilines and flattens the stomach down a little? Or has anyone tried skating in Spanx?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Dance/skate shapewear?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »
Body tights :)

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 07:34:22 PM »
I skate in a unitard for my artistic program - I wear a sports bra and footed tights (with the waistband pulled up to my bra line). No underwear so no panty line. Tights are meant to be worn without underwear anyway.

If it works for the program, a unitard with straight legs (not tapered like leggings but slightly loose around the ankle) is way more flattering then a legging style.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:51:43 AM »
A friend told me about her experience of skating in spanx. Her coach refused to let her go out on the ice.
If you've got things you want to hold in and flatten out and there's quite a lot of it, it's got to go somewhere. So it had all been moved upwards on her and so it'd all ended up bulging out over the top of the spanx and looked rather unflattering.

Actually I saw a lovely ladies costume for James Bond. The top half was designed as a tuxedo and then the skirt looked a bit like suit fabric. It worked really well.

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:51:46 AM »
I actually have black Spanx leggings and I wound up wearing them like long underwear all winter--they were comfortable and eliminated the panty line--but I haven't seen any nude-colored ones. I don't actually have enough extra that there is a problem with the excess being pushed around into other areas (although I've heard that complaint in the past from others!), but I'm post-menopausal (and I'm NOT going commando at my age!) and my tummy and hips seem to gather every extra ounce of fat that plops onto someone who's still wearing a size 6. I was thinking more of the Julie France-type bodyshapers.

Offline Landing~Lutzes

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 11:47:14 PM »
Body tights! I've used them before under unitards before, they work great (and will keep you warmer on the ice too!)
The best pair of body tights I've found is by Capezio, seen here: http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_1811.html?pid=1846&Shop=Style&SID=499340088
Look in DiscountDance.com under their undergarments section and you'll see a lot of different stuff to wear underneath... for ballet, I'm laways having to buy different undergarment type things for under my tutus, costumes, etc. I've found that a lot of dance undergarments provide some support and look nicely under costumes.
Good luck!

Offline buffinator

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:01:34 PM »
My cousins and I dance and skate in Victoria, Aus and we get some basic stuff from Shapewear Australia.  It's not AMAZING but it really does the job well and doesn't cost that much... you can see a few here http://www.shapewearaustralia.com/

Offline buffinator

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 11:02:20 PM »
I just checked and they have a sale on  ;D

Offline Lola

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 09:32:57 PM »
I looked at the discount dance wear link and have a question about the body stocking. What's on the sole that they're obviously trying to show?  Padding on the sole or is it an opening?

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 10:14:19 PM »
Probably a transition opening.. basically you can wear them like normal footed tights (well, with a hole in the foot) or as footless tights.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 08:07:09 AM »
I looked at the discount dance wear link and have a question about the body stocking. What's on the sole that they're obviously trying to show?  Padding on the sole or is it an opening?

It is an opening. A lot of dance tights are convertible, which allows dancers to slip their feet out of their tights. However, with skates this is NOT a good idea, they tend to move a lot inside your skates and cause blisters, specially if the opening shifts to your heel area.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 12:22:51 PM »
I wear them all the time and I've never had any trouble.... maybe if someone's skates fit too loose I could see some "room" for blisters, but I've never had that problem.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 02:03:13 PM »
I, at least, am intrigued by these things....could that hole be stitched shut, or better yet, is it big enough (or in a pinch modifiable) to fit over the top of one's skates?

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »
I wear regular convertible tights in the summer so that I can wear flip flops after skating (since it's over 100F most days here in the summer). I've also never had a problem with it moving, being uncomfortable, or causing blisters. But that's just me.

Loops, the hole in the foot is only really big enough to put your foot through. Not sure it could be stretched over a boot (nor would you want to it stretch that much). It generally rests right under the ball of your foot when they're pulled over the foot. You probably could stitch it shut, but the seam might be uncomfortable. Not sure how that would feel in skates.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 08:56:58 AM »
Maybe mine tights were too big then.... Could have been.
I always had them shifting to the middle/back of my foot, and at times even to my heel. Whenever they got to my heels, the back of my heel would come out and I would get blisters at the back of the heel. But I guess that might have been just me.

If it works for other people prefect, but I prefer not to wear them.

Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 08:14:11 PM »
A friend told me about her experience of skating in spanx. Her coach refused to let her go out on the ice.
If you've got things you want to hold in and flatten out and there's quite a lot of it, it's got to go somewhere. So it had all been moved upwards on her and so it'd all ended up bulging out over the top of the spanx and looked rather unflattering.

I once bought a shaper top, got into it and when I tried to pull it off, it squeezed my arms so tight around my head I couldn't get out of it. I could only see by looking out of the 'tunnel' it formed, I had a pair of scissors in the bath on the counter and I had to snip first the hem, then down the front until I could push it below my shoulders at which point I could cut myself out of the rest of it.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/