You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Defy  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Sushi

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 8
Defy
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:19:28 PM »
I found this video about a 70 year old skater and just wanted to share it.

"For my multimedia class this past term I did my final project on a woman names Jeannie.  She has been skating for almost thirty years.

She started when she was 44 years old.

She is now 70.

Her determination is so inspiring because she doesn’t let anything get in her way or stop her from accomplishing what she sets her mind to, not even herself.  These are some photos that I didn’t get to use in the final multimedia piece but I still liked.  Bellow is also the final piece.  I hope you enjoy!" - http://www.kathrynboydbatstone.com/70-year-old-figure-skater/

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: Defy
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 07:09:31 AM »
I am in tears as I watch this. :'( She has expressed exactly how I feel about my skating. I know I am not talented, and so there has been no loss on my part that I didn't start skating when I was five. I know that there's no guarantee that I will ever become what I wanted to be, but if I quit, then I will surely never get there. So my goal now is just to be the best skater that I can be -- whether that's doing waltz jumps, or doing double axels.

She's really brave for still skating at 70. Kudos to her.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »
Ditto on the tears!  Thank you so much for posting this - she is AMAZING.   What an inspiration for all of us.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »
I skate with several ladies in their 60's and one in her 70's who just moved away - they are all amazing women  :love:  I have told each and every one of them that it's my goal to be skating (and enjoying it as much as they do) when I am their age.

I am super impressed that the lady in the video was doing axels - even if they were both cheated (and she fell on the first they showed) that still takes an incredible amount of guts to go for!

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 07:02:37 PM »
I so love seeing older folks staying active and pursuing what they love!  There is an 82 year-old semi-regular I see at one rink working on ice dance - I think that is fabulous!  And there's my coach - I don't know her exact age, but she's over 60, and can still do all the one revolution jumps nicely.  It's neat to watch her run through her old programs.  (She started skating as an adult and became a pairs skater and competed in pairs at Adult Nationals at the silver level.  I believe she was over 40 when she started on pairs skating.)