You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Supporting local tests  (Read 2047 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Supporting local tests
« on: April 13, 2013, 02:40:11 AM »
My club is having a test session. The jobs I have options for are
Announcer or
Ice monitor.

Announcer I can figure out.
What does an ice monitor do at a test session?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
Re: Supporting local tests
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 05:40:17 AM »
At my club, ice monitor hangs out near the locker rooms/entrance to ice (we use the entrance closest to the locker rooms for test days). S/he makes sure all skaters in the next warm up are there, tells them to get on the ice and times the warmup. S/he also answers coaches/skaters/parents when they ask about the time - running early, running late, etc. We don't have an official announcer at test sessions.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 01:18:15 PM »
Caraskates' description is what I would say an ice monitor does.  We would also called them Ice Captains.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 01:46:59 PM »
That's basically what an ice monitor does at our session- we call them door monitors sometimes. 

We also don't have an announcer at test sessions, but a person who sits with the judges to see when they are ready, and waves the next skater on the ice. This person also plays music when tests need it.

Ice Monitor is a fun job.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 02:20:53 PM »
We also don't have an announcer at test sessions, but a person who sits with the judges to see when they are ready, and waves the next skater on the ice. This person also plays music when tests need it.

This is always my job at test sessions! No one else wants it and the club will buy me free lunch usually - I like it because I can see everything that is going on but it is COLD! And sometimes nerve wracking playing music...especially dance with all the stopping/solos.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »
At the test sessions I've been to, the locker rooms weren't available for use, but the ice monitor hung out by the entrance to the ice, checked in skaters and hunted down missing people. I've never done it for a competition, but it's my favorite job at competitions and exhibitions. You get to see everything.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 03:51:40 AM »
When I used to be the test chair, I would use this position like Cara said.  Usually they would stand by the door and answer questions, help keep the session moving by tracking down/marking off skaters.

We never used announcer.  We did see this at a club my DD regularly tested dance at.  All the test forms were numbered.  The announcer would call out the skater name, sheet number, and test.  I could see how this would come in handy. At one of my sessions, I had 5 Juvenile Free Skates and one of the judges mixed up the forms.  I started numbering my sheets after that.

ETA:  as a former test chair - Thank you for helping out.  It makes the chair's job a lot easier to have helpers.