You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Figure Skating in South Korea  (Read 1694 times)

Offline TheAquarian

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 29
Figure Skating in South Korea
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
Does anyone know anything about figure skating in South Korea?

I ask because in about a year to a year and a half I plan to go there to teach English, and I don't want to give up skating, but I am at something of a loss when it comes to finding a place to skate and finding a coach (preferably one that speaks some English) to train me when I get there.

Are any cities or provinces better than others?   I haven't yet signed a contract, so I still have some flexibility when it comes to where I will be going.   I'd like to pick a place that will allow me to continue what I've started here in the USA.
Pawn takes queen; reality check mate.

Offline bachiana

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: Figure Skating in South Korea
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 12:40:06 AM »
I am an adult skater in Seoul, Korea and maybe I can answer some of your questions.

I would say most of the Korean cities have skating rinks and you can find coaches there, but the rinks in bigger cities such as Seoul or the nearby Kyounggi-do province (including Incheon, Gwacheon, Anyang and Goyang) and Busan may have better environment. If you choose to stay in Seoul, you are within 0.5-1.5 hour distance (by bus or by subway) to some 5+ rinks that offer figure skating lessons.

As for coaches available for lessons in Ensligh, I believe there are a few coaches who have been to US/Canada for training, so it would not be so difficult to find one... although not all of them may be willing to take adult skaters. Perhaps if you decide which city you would like to stay, I will be able to answer you in more detail.  :)