You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Tights for Plus Size Skaters  (Read 11521 times)

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
Tights for Plus Size Skaters
« on: September 24, 2010, 09:46:21 PM »
I am campaigning for skating tight manufacturers to make tights big enough for plus size skaters.  I have emailed Mondor & Capezio (not Danskin, as their site didn't offer OTBs) re this issue, and want to follow up with them about what sort of demand there is.

For an everage height woman (for argument's sake let's say 163cm or 5'4"), the heaviest skaters these makers fit are: Capezio 165lbs/75 kg, Mondor 195 lbs/88kgs (and this is borderline to being big enough)  For some of us, this is nowhere big enough  >:(

Although there are other plus size tights out there, they aren't thick enough for skating and they aren't the right colours -especially important for synchro skaters.  And no OTBs of course.  So every competition or ice show, it's a major problem.

If there are two skaters at our rink who are are too big for these tights, I am wondering how many there can be around the skating world?
Are you in this category?  Are there skaters at your rink who might be in this category?

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: Tights for Plus Size Skaters
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 11:58:10 PM »
Katz, I can't help with OTBs but Danskin make ITB up to 4X = http://www.danskin.net.au/tight-4010.html.

(Oops - ETA to add the footed version:  http://www.danskin.net.au/plus-legwear-4021.html.  Right now, that shop doesn't carry skintone, but I'm pretty sure others do.)

Here's their sizing chart:  http://www.danskin.com/danskin/statichtml/cs_all.html?page=sizing - about half way down you'll find the plus-size chart.  The 4X goes to a 60-inch (150cm) hip.

Maybe that might be a start? If the tights aren't thick enough, the ladies could wear 2 pairs at once for the required coverage.

Offline katz in boots

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 05:40:33 AM »
Thanks for that.  I have worn these Danskin tights in the past, due to lack of alternative. 
They are lovely to wear, but way paler than the skating tights, and much, much thinner.
I've converted them to OTB in the past for a program, but they really aren't a substitute for skating tights.

Offline aussieskater

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 08:02:29 AM »
Sorry about that - the site said they are "light toast" and I know my Danskins are either "light toast" (yellow base brown ) or "classic light toast" (pink base brown), so I mistakenly thought the colour was the same, and the only issue would be the sheerness.

I do know for sure that in Sydney a friend can get proper Danskin skating ITBs (not sure about OTB?) in the standard colour and denier, up to 2X, as we had to get some for a larger lady in our team a few months ago.  Would you like me to look into where she got them from for you?  (They might be old stock and that's why she was able to get them even though they no longer seem to show up on the Danskin site.)

Offline katz in boots

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 04:39:06 AM »
That's ok, unless you'd had to try them, you wouldn't know. And that's the whole point.  Most people can just buy tights, without a second thought, but we larger ladies can't.
I wonder about the 2XLs your lady was able to get.  Is this the XXL?  That's what I meant when I was saying these aren't big enough.  ITBs are ok, but when you need OTBs, well, it ain't an option for us.

From the lack of responses, it appears it's just the 2 of us locally who are in this situation.  Sigh, it isn't enough to convince the companies to make tights in bigger sizes.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 11:53:59 AM »
Were you taking a survey?  I wear Queen size pantyhose and yes, it is a PITA (literally) to find skating tights that fit, but I always wear pants, so I don't have to worry about it normally.  I'll have to tackle this problem soon though because of Synchro.  Adding to my problems is that I'm also long-waisted, so I have to buy even-larger sizes in order to not get a wedgie, lol.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 12:24:24 PM »
Mondor makes an XXL but has discontinued it which is why it's not on their website but some retailers might still have it.    If you can find it it will fit big and tall or big or tall skaters, and I don't know why they've discontinued it. 

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 02:46:24 PM »
Whilst talking about OTB tights, could they actually make the Mondor Performance XL ones big enough to go OVER the BOOT! I'm XL cos I'm a normal sized woman, but I'm 5ft6" and have feet sized to match. The Mondor ones which we have to wear for synchro were a nightmare to get over the boot and would then promptly ladder as they're stretched so tight (they're OK on the legs it's just the foot of the tight which is too small). Given the cost of these tights, it's a bit of an expensive pair of tights when they only last one competition. I can't even risk wearing them for official practice as no doubt they'd ladder and then I'd need a second pair for the actual competition.

Offline aussieskater

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 09:30:56 PM »
That's ok, unless you'd had to try them, you wouldn't know. And that's the whole point.  Most people can just buy tights, without a second thought, but we larger ladies can't.
I wonder about the 2XLs your lady was able to get.  Is this the XXL?  That's what I meant when I was saying these aren't big enough.  ITBs are ok, but when you need OTBs, well, it ain't an option for us.

From the lack of responses, it appears it's just the 2 of us locally who are in this situation.  Sigh, it isn't enough to convince the companies to make tights in bigger sizes.

Katz, I'm not sure about whether the 2X is the same as XL.  The lady for whom they were bought wears about a street size 20-22 on the bottom.  Does that help at all?

Another suggestion, depending on whether the tights are too small all over or just in the waist - you can cut the waist off the tights and replace it with a lycra waist.  I do that to mine as a matter of course for comfort and to eliminate the "waist tights line".  It's a bit of effort, but because the tights fabric is generally much stretchier than the waist elastic, you might be able to get them to fit more people that way.

Whilst talking about OTB tights, could they actually make the Mondor Performance XL ones big enough to go OVER the BOOT! I'm XL cos I'm a normal sized woman, but I'm 5ft6" and have feet sized to match. The Mondor ones which we have to wear for synchro were a nightmare to get over the boot and would then promptly ladder as they're stretched so tight (they're OK on the legs it's just the foot of the tight which is too small). Given the cost of these tights, it's a bit of an expensive pair of tights when they only last one competition. I can't even risk wearing them for official practice as no doubt they'd ladder and then I'd need a second pair for the actual competition.

Oh fsk8r, I hear you!!  I'm 5'7" and wear size C Danskin ITB, but this year our adult synchro team decided that OTB was the way to go.  I wear a Jackson 9E skate (I still say that my feet are larger than required for my height!!), and trying to get the size C-D tights over the boot is horrible.  I even tried the Danskin 1X (next size up from their C-D) and it was no better - the foot opening was no different to the C-Ds.

To make matters worse, when you finally force the foot part over the boot, it's then so thin that the boot shows through really badly.  (And as you say, it ladders just looking at it.)

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 01:04:49 AM »
Size 11 skate (and yes, I'm female.) OTB tights have to be way big on me in the waist/leg to get them over the boot, or if they actually fit they rip within one or two wears.

I've not had a problem, actually, getting tights to stretch enough. After my injury I gained a bunch of weight (health issues in there), and I still can comfortably wear my danskin and mondor footed tights that I wore when I was about 50-60 pounds lighter (and I wasn't particularly thin then, either). I know the Mondor's are XL and the Danskin's are D or C/D or something. Don't ask me why - I shouldn't be able to, but I can.

Offline katz in boots

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 04:34:12 AM »
Another suggestion, depending on whether the tights are too small all over or just in the waist - you can cut the waist off the tights and replace it with a lycra waist.  I do that to mine as a matter of course for comfort and to eliminate the "waist tights line".  It's a bit of effort, but because the tights fabric is generally much stretchier than the waist elastic, you might be able to get them to fit more people that way.

It's the whole thing, from thigh to waist  88) 

Tee-hee, with all the comments about the OTB size, probably couldn't get them over my boot anyway.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »
Oh fsk8r, I hear you!!  I'm 5'7" and wear size C Danskin ITB, but this year our adult synchro team decided that OTB was the way to go.  I wear a Jackson 9E skate (I still say that my feet are larger than required for my height!!), and trying to get the size C-D tights over the boot is horrible.  I even tried the Danskin 1X (next size up from their C-D) and it was no better - the foot opening was no different to the C-Ds.

To make matters worse, when you finally force the foot part over the boot, it's then so thin that the boot shows through really badly.  (And as you say, it ladders just looking at it.)

Hadn't even thought of trying the next size up (well I had but given that I'm in XL and I don't think they make or I've never seen them sold it's a mute point). It's only the Mondor Performance ones I have issue with. I've got USIcewear ones which I wear for singles competition and they're perfectly sized for my size 9B feet and aren't even a struggle to get on. It's like they're sized for the size of feet which go with the height of person. 

Unfortunately every time I mention wearing a different brand, those with small feet on the team say how they still have pairs from previous seasons which are good. Me and the others with big feet are therefore out-voted and forced to spend another small fortune buying yet more new pairs of tights as no one is prepared to deal with the issue.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 01:58:52 AM »
If anyone is still looking for plus size tights, this is where I get mine  http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/boplsitibwa3.html  Unfortunately no over the boots.  I like the Body Wrapper tights.  I have the problem of being overweight and having long legs.  These work really well for me.

Offline katz in boots

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 02:48:51 AM »
Thanks for that. These would fit well,, however like the Danskin tights, they are for dance, and not thick enough for skating.

I ended up making tights for the competition.  Bought some nice supplex from Spandex House and made OTBs for myself and other lady in the team.
So although not everyone in the team matched, at least we matched each other.