You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Bought the Pro Fitter 3D Cross Trainer (Video)  (Read 9256 times)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
Bought the Pro Fitter 3D Cross Trainer (Video)
« on: August 14, 2012, 10:27:16 AM »
I ski and skate.  After reading reviews and threads on the Skier's Edge (retail $2200+) and the Pro Fitter 3D Cross Trainer ($599), I decided the Pro Fitter was the better machine for my needs. The Pro Fitter has benefits over the Skier's Edge for me including greater proprioception and ankle strength training  - the foot pads are more independent than the Skier's Edge - and there are many more exercises that can be done with the Pro Fitter. 

I received the Pro Fitter yesterday and found myself not wanting to get off it!  So much fun.  I made a video of the unboxing and first steps on the Pro Fitter for those of you who are interested in this training machine.

Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Bought the Pro Fitter 3D Cross Trainer (Video)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
Wow it seems like a great training tool! Thank you for sharing. And you are sooooo fit :)

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:11:40 PM »
Maybe it's just the hem of your pants bunching at the ankle, but it looks like the foot platforms are not allowing your ankles/feet to articulate over to an outside edge -- the inside foot looks like it is pronating and causing the knee to be out of alignment. Do the foot platforms allow you to rock side to side or are they fixed?

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:17:56 PM »
Maybe it's just the hem of your pants bunching at the ankle, but it looks like the foot platforms are not allowing your ankles/feet to articulate over to an outside edge -- the inside foot looks like it is pronating and causing the knee to be out of alignment. Do the foot platforms allow you to rock side to side or are they fixed?

The foot platforms have some movement and are not solidly fixed.  But this machine isn't intended to simulate the precision of edges. 

Wow it seems like a great training tool! Thank you for sharing. And you are sooooo fit :)

Thanks!  I can tell it's going to be my new addiction.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:38:11 PM »
Looks like an awesome ski trainer!  This would definitely help the leg muscles and the endurance.
 For balance and ankle strengthening I would do a lot more one legged exercises (you can even progress to doing them with eyes closed :-). 

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »
Looks like an awesome ski trainer!  This would definitely help the leg muscles and the endurance.
 For balance and ankle strengthening I would do a lot more one legged exercises (you can even progress to doing them with eyes closed :-). 

You can actually use it one legged but I didn't want to kill myself on Day 1.  :o  I'll build up to that.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »
It's not quite the same though kind of along the same lines, but we have the bongo board (same company) and an indo board (harder to use, IMO, because even with stops on the board it's possible to roll off the roller).. they are great for working on balance (they strengthen all of those muscles) and super fast muscle reaction, and they are tons of fun to play around on :)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »
It's not quite the same though kind of along the same lines, but we have the bongo board (same company) and an indo board (harder to use, IMO, because even with stops on the board it's possible to roll off the roller).. they are great for working on balance (they strengthen all of those muscles) and super fast muscle reaction, and they are tons of fun to play around on :)

Where's the LIKE button?   :angel

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 10:27:44 PM »
These are great! We have one at my company's fitness center.  And bongo boards are the best!
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 12:21:19 PM »
That looks so awesome!!  I have never skied before, always wanted to, but it looks like a really great training tool ;) Thank you for sharing with us!!  Do you find it to have any similar functioning to skating maneuvers?

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »
That looks so awesome!!  I have never skied before, always wanted to, but it looks like a really great training tool ;) Thank you for sharing with us!!  Do you find it to have any similar functioning to skating maneuvers?

I never tried skiing until I moved to Utah 2.5 years ago and loved it so much I became a certified ski instructor last year!  Skaters have a huge advantage when learning to ski.  Try it!

The Pro Fitter's foot pads do not move front to back but it does mimic the lateral movements of stroking.

It seems to simulate the motions of skating fast and the rhythm between upper and lower body separation.  Think speed or hockey skaters.

When used in a more "tucked" or slalom ski position, it seriously works your quads and glutes.  I think this a great benefit because we need strong quads in a bent knee position for oh so many things in skating:  stroking, landing position, sit spins, umm...and a bunch of other things that you could probably name more quickly than me.  When my coach says to bend more in my stroking or crossovers, I find I'm limited by the strength of my quads.  I think the Pro Fitter is going to help this greatly.  It also works the gluteus medius which I need to strengthen desperately.  I have an IT band issue on my right leg, which makes my knee articulate to the center and it's caused by a weak gluteus medius.  I work on it by using a therapy band but the Pro Fitter will help that as well.

There are other exercises, like doing it on only one foot, that really help with balance and proprioception.

What others have to say...

Here's a blog post about the Pro Fitter 3D from an inline skater  http://getrolling.com/blog/2011/09/profitter/

Here's the Pro Fitter's exercise chart http://www.fitter1.com/assets/pdf/3dtrainerexercisechart.pdf

It's also used quite a bit as part of physical therapy for all sorts of things including ACL and stroke recovery. 

Offline Rachelsk8s

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 01:58:57 PM »
I'll definitely check out the links you posted :) My boyfriend loves to ski/snowboard and he usually goes on a few trips during the winter, I'd love to go with him this winter!!  I might have to take a few lessons to be able to go with him and his friends ;) Its good to know that skaters have an advantage too.  Thanks!!

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 02:43:43 PM »
I'll definitely check out the links you posted :) My boyfriend loves to ski/snowboard and he usually goes on a few trips during the winter, I'd love to go with him this winter!!  I might have to take a few lessons to be able to go with him and his friends ;) Its good to know that skaters have an advantage too.  Thanks!!

Well, if you decide to ski Utah and come to SLC, I can teach you to ski!  I'm a certified ski instructor.  I don't think I'll work at a resort this year. Seriously, if you come here, please ping me.  I'd be happy help you plan your trip and teach you to ski.   ;D

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 03:59:30 PM »
My husband wants to go ski Salt Lake City so badly- those mountains are just WAY too big for me.  The two times I went skiing as a kid was in New Mexico, teeny tiny mountains. When we went to Colorado on our honeymoon I was terrified (keep in mind- I'm scared of everything). I believe at one point I sat down and said I'd wait for the snow to melt. I like hiking and will be down in the summer.  The next day he went out on his own and I took classes- we probably set a record for least time spent together on our honeymoon, but we both had a better time of it.  He had only skied the little hills in the midwest.

Do you recommend a resort if we do go out there?  One where a non-skier can have a fun (affordable) day of people watching?

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »
Would the device help people learn to surf?

I used to attend a conference at Alta, UT (ski resort, next to some of the others, like Snowbird). It was ridiculously expensive (work paid for it), but very nice. Even if you didn't stay there, I think you could pay to use the hot tub at Alta.

It would have been way cheaper to stay in Salt Lake City, and drive up daily, though there are days when driving isn't a great idea. There may be buses from the city.

If you are hard core, the people at Alta mentioned there was a campgrounds nearby that was open in the winter. To understand how hard core, sometimes the snow from a (deliberately triggered) avalanche completely covers the parking garage.

Don't be intimidated by high mountains. Almost any ski resort, including Alta and Snowbird, has bunny slopes that you can learn on just fine. The main thing is balance and edging - which you already know. Because I had skated, I learned to skate uphill and downhill, forwards and backwards, and spin (all easiest on short skis), in an hour's private lesson. (But I had already done basic XC and downhill bunny slopes, and took a private lesson from someone who knew how.)

It's a good idea to rent a vehicle with serious snow tires, good ground clearance, AWD, emergency chains and a shovel - the signs on the road to Snowbird/Alta said they were legally required. Last time (many years ago) the airport rental agency gave me a very low sports car with no traction, and nothing in the trunk.

You don't need an expensive Utah or Colorado resort, or any place with lifts. I think inexpensive cross country skiing is more like basic skating.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 07:22:05 PM »
I don't need bunny slopes, I ski fine, I'm just a scaredy cat... I just want short, easy greens. There were not many short trails in CO, a long trail adds to the anxiety.. In NM it is much easier for a beginner. Not to mention greens in CO were blues in NM, so I'm scared about what will pass as beginner in UT, all day on a bunny slope would be way too boring

I have no interest in cross country, and husband wouldn't take a vacation for that, he can xc ski at home. He wants to go to the upper rockies to experience the amazing skiing he's read about...slc or Canada.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 08:05:17 PM »
Would the device help people learn to surf?

That's exactly what the Indo board was designed for :)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 09:32:28 PM »
It would have been way cheaper to stay in Salt Lake City, and drive up daily, though there are days when driving isn't a great idea. There may be buses from the city.  True. There are many hotels near the canyons.  There are buses that go up to the resorts so you don't have to drive in the snow.  Some days the canyon roads are closed to all but those with 4WD or chains.  There are lots at the base of the canyons and the buses pick you up there.

If you are hard core, the people at Alta mentioned there was a campgrounds nearby that was open in the winter. To understand how hard core, sometimes the snow from a (deliberately triggered) avalanche completely covers the parking garage.  No way.  No camping.  It's brutally cold in winter and I don't think any campgrounds are open in winter.  There are often natural avalanches in Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta and Snowbird) that completely cover the road and access to the resorts can be delayed by hours.  Don't think of camping unless you want to freeze to death.

Don't be intimidated by high mountains. Almost any ski resort, including Alta and Snowbird, has bunny slopes that you can learn on just fine. The main thing is balance and edging - which you already know. Because I had skated, I learned to skate uphill and downhill, forwards and backwards, and spin (all easiest on short skis), in an hour's private lesson. (But I had already done basic XC and downhill bunny slopes, and took a private lesson from someone who knew how.) Exactly!  Well saif.

It's a good idea to rent a vehicle with serious snow tires, good ground clearance, AWD, emergency chains and a shovel - the signs on the road to Snowbird/Alta said they were legally required. Last time (many years ago) the airport rental agency gave me a very low sports car with no traction, and nothing in the trunk. 4WD is key.  But, if it's a white-out, take the bus up.

You don't need an expensive Utah or Colorado resort, or any place with lifts. I think inexpensive cross country skiing is more like basic skating. Not a fan of XC skiing.  Love alpine, though.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 06:05:35 PM »
No way.  No camping.  It's brutally cold in winter and I don't think any campgrounds are open in winter.  There are often natural avalanches in Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta and Snowbird) that completely cover the road and access to the resorts can be delayed by hours.

Just looked it up. You are right - LCC campgrounds are summer-only. Have to travel farther afield for winter camping in Utah.

I'm just a scaredy cat... I just want short, easy greens.

As with skating, I got over my worst fears by practicing falls. With skis on, I fall with both legs on the same side of my body to avoid being pushed into a split or wide open hip.

Have you ever tried ski boards (fat skis as short as 1 or 2')? Much safer, slower, and easier to control.

Though ski boards won't let you keep up with hubby...

Anyway, I got off topic.

---

The Pro Fitter 3D is too expensive for me, but it looks fun!

Don't think I would trust it not to mar a wooden floors.

Offline Rachelsk8s

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »
Well, if you decide to ski Utah and come to SLC, I can teach you to ski!  I'm a certified ski instructor.  I don't think I'll work at a resort this year. Seriously, if you come here, please ping me.  I'd be happy help you plan your trip and teach you to ski.   ;D

Awww thank you!!  I definitely will :) Actually Utah is one of my bf's favorite places to go!!!

Offline amberhkaul

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »
Do you think this would be a good machine to help me keep my skis parallel???  I ski once a year, and so I can't seem to graduate beyond "wedge to parallel."  Looking at this machine, it seems like it would help me get used to the sensation of always having my feet parallel, but I'm curious to know what you think.