You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Test days: scheduling, warming up, and everything else!  (Read 18208 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Test days: scheduling, warming up, and everything else!
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »
"Just out of curiosity" questions again for testing days! Really hope to hear behind the scenes stories esp. from test chairs :)  

How are the tests scheduled for the day in general? I vaguely remember hearing higher level skaters test earlier in the day, but if there is a contingency (e.g. taking 2 beginner MITF tests), would it still work in that order?

Some lower level tests only require a single judge, if three judges were brought in for the higher level tests, would all three be kept for the lower level tests as well?

Would the tests be divided by discipline? Say finish all MITF tests then move to FS, then dance, pairs etc.?

For smaller testing days, it's inevitable to group skaters of different abilities into the same warm up group. What is the biggest level difference you've observed? (pre-pre warming up with senior anyone?)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
Re: Test days: scheduling, warming up, and everything else!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 04:38:03 PM »
From the test schedule I received, it starts with higher level moves, then higher level freeskate - not sure if pre-bronze and bronze FS belong to intermediate FS but well :) , then dance, then juvenile FS, then the beginner moves / FS. And at the end of 6-hour test day, SENIOR MOVES! Makes me feel like judge availability was an issue. Being a test chair must be a lot of hard work... Luckily there are only 2 contingencies: my bronze FS and a pre-pre FS.

My warm up for pre bronze is with three pre-juv skaters, for bronze with five intermediate skaters (ouch) and a pre bronze skater. I am not sure what to expect sharing ice with kids taking intermediate FS. High doubles?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:41:33 PM »
You might want to read this.
http://www.usfsa.org/content/Guide%20for%20Test%20Chair.pdf

Most sessions do MITF first and then freeskate.  But not all.  I was at one that started with high freeskate , then did low moves, then middle freeskate, then high moves, then low freeskate.  It hopped around due to contingencies and also when scrapes were available.  You don't want to put moves tests after a bunch of freeskates without a scrape, because of the divots.    

I think dance has to have their own warm up, because the pattern music gets played during the warm up.

As for judges, that depends too: My pre-bronze freeskate test was judged by 3 judges, even though only 1 is needed.  They figured they were there, might as well write some comments down.  But I've also seen tests where the extra judges sit in the box and play on their phones until the next test they are judging.

Intermediate skaters will probably being doing low doubles. The test requires either a double sal or a double toe.  They have to do a combo with a double jump in it.  (Even the senior test doesn't actually REQUIRE anything higher than a double lutz, though triples are an option.)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 04:46:02 PM »
Oh very cool, thanks skittl

Scheduling Tips:
- Run figures before all other tests. This causes the least ice damage.
- Place high level tests on the cleanest ice. Pairs and dance also require clean ice.
- Place free skating tests, which damage the ice most, at the end of any group of tests and just before a resurface.
- Run moves in the field tests before free skating, especially if free skating is contingent on passing the moves.
- Be aware that the same partner may take multiple skaters through tests. Whenever possible try to separate these tests with a skater who has a different partner.
- Include time for panel changes or for panels returning to the rink following an ice cut.

If time is at a premium and you have a sufficient number of judges, you may want to run two tests of the same level simultaneously for the lower level moves in the field tests, pre-preliminary and adult pre-bronze free skating tests, pre-silver and below dance tests and all figure tests. If you are severely short on time, juvenile through novice moves in the field tests may also be double paneled. It is the norm to single panel judge the pre-preliminary and preliminary tests (moves & free) and preliminary through pre-bronze dances.

I definitely benefited from being put into the intermediate FS group. First skater after resurface!

The test chair guide has some outdated contents though, maximum bronze FS program duration is 1:50 in the rulebook but listed here as 1:40 (yes I freaked out...)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »
I definitely benefited from being put into the intermediate FS group. First skater after resurface!

That's nice.  A lot of times you would have been the last, since you are the lowest test.

Maybe they figure you won't damage the ice much.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 04:52:50 PM »
Dance is first on our schedule this time, the last time it was mid-morning.

I'm the last dancer in the flight. So I'll go at maybe 730? 740?

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »
Intermediate skaters will probably being doing low doubles. The test requires either a double sal or a double toe.  They have to do a combo with a double jump in it.  (Even the senior test doesn't actually REQUIRE anything higher than a double lutz, though triples are an option.)

I was thinking their skating abilities (contents of their competitive program), as how intimidating it will be to warm up together. Especially the group is fairly large with 7 skaters. THANK YOU for your great help as always :)

That's nice.  A lot of times you would have been the last, since you are the lowest test.
Maybe they figure you won't damage the ice much.

Thanks! I definitely care for the ice lol lol lol!! The lowest level skater in the flight is pre-bronze and skates right after me.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »
When I took my Pre-Bronze MITF I warmed up with a person taking Senior MITF.  Intimidating but I had to get judged early on in the session as I had to judge (or maybe I was just trial judging at that point...) on the later tests so they put me out there with the Senior lady...

I like this test chair document because of the explanations about who needs the best ice - it is true that especially higher level moves and FS will benefit from really clean ice - this explains why we will see higher level freestyle and dance right after the ice cut.

Some of the schedule has as much to do with judge availability as anything else as Gold judges can judge any test BUT if they are only available early morning (like before they go to work) and there are Junior or Sr. tests then that is when those tests will be scheduled.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 05:32:22 PM »
Former test chair....also my DD tested (and passed!)her Juvenile FS today

Dance and Moves are supposed to get cleaner ice.  Higher tests are supposed to get cleaner ice.  Sometimes a test chair has to work around a schedule...either a skater or a judge.  For example today,  there a senior and 2 junior moves tests (all same warm up).  They were followed by a Preliminary Moves and Preliminary Free Skate, and then 2 Intermediate Moves tests. The 2 Preliminary tests were sisters.  One had soccer try-outs so they needed to test early. 

Sometimes I would put pre-pre and preliminary moves/FS first, because they only require one judge.  If one of my judges was coming from work or a long distance away, I would usually do the one judge tests first.  That way I could keep my schedule moving. I have had judges get lost or stuck in traffic before.

Usually free skates get put before an ice cut/scrape/resurface, but not always.  Today, there were a Jr FS, IM FS, and 2 Juv FS right after the intermediate tests.  This was to accomodate a coach who had SRM, JRM, IM, and IF tests.  That way she could leave and not wait until all the rest of the moves and fs tests were done.  The Preliminary FS tests were done at the end of the test session.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »
Thank you everyone for sharing! How likely is the schedule going to change significantly after it's announced? As in, without further notice, is it ok to arrive 30 minutes prior to warm up time and be fine, or should the skater call to confirm?

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »
I'd plan on an hour ahead.  If the test runs ahead of schedule, 30 minutes isn't going to give you much time to get yourself settled.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 08:54:12 PM »
I'd plan on an hour ahead.  If the test runs ahead of schedule, 30 minutes isn't going to give you much time to get yourself settled.

I totally agree!

I think I actually got to my most recent test 2 hours ahead, because if it was running ahead, I needed to be there an hour early, and it was an hours drive- so if there was traffic, I needed time for that too.  (Last year I competed at that rink there was an accident on the interstate and I got to the rink like 10 minutes before my event started- I was so stressed out the entire drive.  I had put my skates on in the car, because my husband was driving.  My luck was with me though, as in that case, the competition was running behind...)

Early, if you can, is so much better than even "on time" is.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »
If I do attend the home rink skating clinic partially, I shall be 20 minutes local driving away from the testing rink... Plus fairly warmed up. I'll plan for 45 minutes prior :) thank you for the tips!

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 08:05:27 AM »
I'm in the UK and at my rink we always have Field Moves first, then elements, then free. The one time I've seen dance tests held here, they were at the end, not sure if there was a resurface as i wasn't there. At my other rink they had a specific dance test session.

It starts with the lowest level, although i knew one girl who was skating a high level FM test and had to go first because the judges wanted to be able to examine her tracings to ensure her edges were correct (i don't think they did this in the end, but she still skated first). They wouldn't bother doing this with low level tests.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »
Thank you for sharing, turnip! Examining tracings? Shades of figures test...

If a skater has two FS tests, is it ok to use part of the first warm up for the elements of the second event? I probably won't use up a whole 5 minutes to warm up for pre bronze FS, but may benefit from going over parts of the bronze program. This shouldn't bother the other skaters in my warm up, they are testing higher level FS, I don't want to confuse the judges though.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »
You can use the warm up as you see fit.    I've seen kids do higher elements they really like that aren't on their test- confidence builders.

However, I think it would be really bad form for someone to warm up freestyle elements on a moves-specific warm up.  I've never seen that.  I would bet the test chair might say something to that skater- but that isn't what you are talking about doing.

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 09:29:31 AM »
Thank you everyone for sharing! How likely is the schedule going to change significantly after it's announced? As in, without further notice, is it ok to arrive 30 minutes prior to warm up time and be fine, or should the skater call to confirm?

Honestly, I'd suggest planning to arrive an hour ahead if at all possible. Sometimes this isn't even enough. When my daughter tested her (I think) Juv moves, we arrived an hour ahead only to have the frantic test chair going "oh good, your warmup is in 5 minutes, hurry up and get your skates on" as they'd managed to get a full hour ahead of schedule. Which, I guess can happen if there are a lot of contingent tests and the lower test doesn't pass.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 09:38:53 AM »
Thank you! the test session starts at 9 and my first test at 12. All the contingency tests are in the afternoon. Guess they won't finish three hours of testing in two hours unless lots of testers dropped out. But I'll plan for an hour prior just in case, thank you again everyone.

Skittl, thanks for the clarification. To throw in stuff from a different discipline would indeed be poor choice, like pairs lifts on moves warm up lol.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
Usually what does the testing schedule say about arrival time, if anything? My test in July and the upcoming test are less formal, rink sponsored tests and I don't know if regular club testing sessions would usually have announcement for tests.

So if the test organizer did not specify arrival time and the skater arrives 30 minutes early only to find out the test already happened, will the skater be tested later that day? Or refund? Or rescheduled to a different testing day? These are hypothetical questions of course, I'm not tempted to testing them out myself lol

Do airplanes depart before the planned boarding time? Or they only get delayed?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 09:59:10 AM »
So if the test organizer did not specify arrival time and the skater arrives 30 minutes early only to find out the test already happened, will the skater be tested later that day? Or refund? Or rescheduled to a different testing day? These are hypothetical questions of course, I'm not tempted to testing them out myself lol.

I have seen a test session that allowed a kid to go on later that day (like 5 hours later...) because she missed her test, the session was running 45 minutes ahead, and the club had told skaters to get there 1 hour early, she wasn't there an hour early.  Most test sessions do what they can to accommodate, because the club cares about their skaters.  I've also seen a skater get to the rink an hour early to be told they'd be warming up in 5 minutes, and hurry up put your skates on.

On the competition side, I've seen skaters pushed onto the ice in tears, because they missed their warm up when they arrived 30 minutes early and found their event already on the ice.  I've also seen skaters miss their event entirely.  These were low level non-qualifying competitions.  Sometimes refs want to get ahead and stay ahead, others will order 15 minute breaks to keep from getting TOO far ahead of schedule (which can throw things off more than being delayed...)

Since almost every announcement I've seen says to arrive an hour early, I have never heard of a refund for missing out. 

I really don't think you can compare an ice schedule to an airport...

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 10:07:52 AM »
I think dance has to have their own warm up, because the pattern music gets played during the warm up.

I never thought about music being played during the warm-up. I guess that's why the dance warm-up on my test schedule is longer than the others. So how does this work exactly, if, say, 4 skaters are testing DW? Do skaters start at opposite ends of the rink? Line up and start two measures after the previous skater? Or do people just listen to the music and practice pieces of the pattern all over the place?
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 10:18:53 AM »
You would treat a dance warmup like a social dance session.  Skaters can start at opposite ends of the ice, and can also follow along behind each other, with each beginning a couple of bars or so behind the previous.  If one person is partnering several testers, they'll generally allow enough music so each tester can have a pattern partnered during the warmup.  My coach often has the warmup time cut short as soon as everyone has had a chance to get a pattern or two in with the music.

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »
On the competition side, I've seen skaters pushed onto the ice in tears, because they missed their warm up when they arrived 30 minutes early and found their event already on the ice. 

Slightly OT story: This happened to DD once...she practiced at a rink close to home the morning of a competition. We went to the competition rink an hour early, I open her skate bag in the locker room and discover ONE skate. The other had been left under the bench at the other rink!!!   >:( After a couple of expletive-deleteds (she was eleven, for gosh-sakes, old enough to pay attention, and was too busy chatting with her friends after she skated), I left her with her coach and flew back to the other rink, grabbed the skate, and flew back. Probably broke a dozen or so speeding laws.  Coach was waiting for me in the parking lot, grabbed the skate, and ran back to where DD was waiting and laced it up in a huge hurry.  DD got on the ice after they called "one minute remaining" and only had enough time to stroke around a lap or so before she had to get off.  We got lucky because it was a large enough competition group that they split it into two warmups.  She was supposed to be in the first warmup group, her coach was able to persuade the referee to let her switch to the second warmup group, but he told her that she HAD to be on the ice for the warmup or else she would not be allowed to compete.  Don't know if that is an "official" rule or not though.

Her next competition was Regionals...a 7 hour drive from home that year. Before we pulled out of the driveway I made her open her skate bag and SHOW ME two skates.  :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 10:32:38 AM »
...her coach was able to persuade the referee to let her switch to the second warmup group, but he told her that she HAD to be on the ice for the warmup or else she would not be allowed to compete.

Her next competition was Regionals...a 7 hour drive from home that year. Before we pulled out of the driveway I made her open her skate bag and SHOW ME two skates.  :)

Too funny... If you arrived with the other skate five minutes late, would she warm up power pulls in just one skate and fulfill the requirement? :)

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 11:29:07 AM »
Too funny... If you arrived with the other skate five minutes late, would she warm up power pulls in just one skate and fulfill the requirement? :)

Probably. One of her friends was joking afterward that she should have just gone out and done an entirely one-footed program. She was missing her landing foot skate though, so I'm not what her jump content could have even been? lol