You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: rules change  (Read 2464 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
rules change
« on: June 29, 2012, 09:47:36 AM »
Hi a parent told me there is a rule change that spirals have no points in a program so there is no point on putting them in.  I am kind of bummed because my dd has one of those Sasha Cohen spirals. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
Re: rules change
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »
Hi a parent told me there is a rule change that spirals have no points in a program so there is no point on putting them in.  I am kind of bummed because my dd has one of those Sasha Cohen spirals.  

Sigh.  A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  

IJS used to have a "spiral sequence" that was required in the programs and had point values with +/- GOE.  That was eliminated, which means spirals aren't scored as elements, but that doesn't mean they don't add value to a performance.  

Spirals, spreadeagles and other unscored elements add to the program's overall artistry and help garner points on scored elements.  A skater with a knockout spiral at the right point of the music builds their "second mark" by adding to music interpretation or artistry.  Under IJS, this is the "program component score."  Under 6.0, this is the "presentation score."

Spreadeagles are in the same category - there's nothing outright that says "an outside spreadeagle will add x points to your score."  Yet, watching a skater perform one and step up into a double axel adds to the artistry and the difficult entry into the axel, adding +GOE to that element.  Some skaters will perform a spiral and snap into a back camel, providing a difficult entrance and adding to their score.

I don't think I've ever seen a program without a spiral.  It's also used as a breather, to allow the skater to glide and catch their breath during the program.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 01:20:24 PM »
Spirals can also be included in the new "choreographic sequence" technical element.  However, it looks like USFS has only included this in the senior level of its system.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:06:23 PM »
Again, a little knowledge is dangerous.  At any level a choreographic step or spiral sequence was required it will be replaced with the choreographic sequence as the ChStSeq1 and ChSpSeq1 no longer exist.  In addition, a spiral is a REQUIRED piece of the new ChSeq1 for ladies although it has no requirements to length (other than "not a kick").  A nice spiral included in the ChSeq can boost GOE.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
http://usfsa.org/content/Singles%20FS%20Elements%202012-2013%20POSTGC%20062112.pdf

This updated document clearly calls for choreographic step sequences in Juvenile and Intermediate. 

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 11:07:58 PM »
That is not current (well, it is through 6/30 which is tomorrow)

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 12:59:06 AM »
It says it goes into effect July 1 2012 at the top.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 08:33:35 AM »
The Technical Notification is a moot point because falen's DD is a no-test/ISI skater.  The Well-Balanced Program guidelines for No Test are more relevent.

That's why I mentioned the 6.0 scoring - there are no element-by-element points. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »
ChStSeq1/ChSpSeq1 has been removed from the SoV and replaced with ChSeq1 (ISU communication 1672), so I am sure a clarification will be coming out soon.

If the OP's skater is in no-test, spirals were never a "scoring element" anyway and a nice spiral will make the program memorable.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 11:00:55 PM »
The domestic season has started now and results for Juvenile and Intermediate are showing ChSt1 with a base value of 2.  Since the senior choreographic sequence has the same base value, it doesn't make much difference.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 07:54:37 AM »
The base values of individual elements do not change by level.  A single flip has the same base value whether it's performed by a Juvenile or a Senior.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 11:33:59 AM »
I said "senior" choreographic sequence because there isn't a juvenile or intermediate choreographic sequence (yet).  I did not expect base values to change by level.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »
It appears they are holding off dropping it down from the Senior level on the standard track due to the lateness of inclusion in the rules for this season(since it is on the adult WBP for IJS levels).