You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Movie Discussions  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Movie Discussions
« on: June 08, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »
Without ground rules, it is hard to know what counts

Some more borderline results, obtained by random Internet searches. There are too many search results to list them all.

The World Figure Skating Museum and Hall of Fame [Colorado Springs]
"The Museum holds the most extensive collection of figure skating materials in the world. The video and film collection, consisting of over 3,500 items, dates from the 1920's..."

What an interesting sounding museum! We would have to look at all 3500+ to see what meets proper criteria. Has anyone been there?

Silent Films (old and new)
Here are some more

The Rink (1916) A very well known Charlie Chaplin movie, with lots of trick skating. He did a bunch of skating movies but some were roller skating.

http://womenandsilentbritishcinema.wordpress.com/the-women/mrs-aubrey-le-blond-mrs-main/ mentions silent film camerawomen Aubrey Le Blond involved in movies Skating  (1900) and Figure Skating on the Kulm River  (1900).

http://www.tanisparenteau.com/Tanis_Parenteau/Welcome.html says Tannis Parenteau "has been cast in a supporting role in the short silent film “Sketch“, produced by Desert Cinema Productions. She finally got to use her figure skating skills for acting!"

Anime/Manga

Ginban Kaleidoscope

Sugar Princess

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=17119 says anime series Angelic Layer TV has figure skating in one battle

Blizzard Axel

Kiss and Never Cry

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com can be searched for others

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
Re: Movie Discussions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:40:07 AM »
Does anyone know how much Snow White and the Three Stooges had to do about figure skating? "The ice skating scenes are enjoyable to watch. Olympic Champion, Carol Heiss, skates very fast and does jumps and spins in both directions. She performs a double axel and also sings." But was skating just a side show to the main movie?

The reason such a thread needs ground rules on what constitutes a figure skating movie is that there are tons of Youtube videos, and home movies on the Internet, with figure skating. And zillions of films and videos and TV shows that show figure skating performances.

If you go back before there was TV, films were used instead of TV specials and news programs. So you have films showing skating competitions, news about figure skaters, etc.

Plus, there other movies made with roller skating, both quad and inline, along with skateboards. Some of it features fancy tricks that vaguely qualifies as figure skating. E.g., Roll Bounce was quite good.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:07:51 AM »
Here's your own thread.  Make your own rules.

The other thread was "movies featuring figure skating or figure skaters."  It said so right in the original post.  Sorry you couldn't understand that; it seemed pretty straight-forward to everyone else.  The sport of "figure skating" is only done on ice; roller skating and skateboarding are different.  I thought that was a given.

I've seen most of the movies I posted, I didn't rely on random internet searches.

You should see "Snow White and the Three Stooges" - it's cheesy, but Carol Heiss' skating is good and even the Stooges lace up.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 01:08:05 AM »
BTW, artistic roller and in-line skating is sometimes called figure skating. Even some of the competitive events are labeled that way. I've met a few roller skaters who are annoyed that artistic roller never made it into the Olympics, and who think of it as entirely as legitimate an art form and sport as ice figure skating.

Having now watched I see that it is all roller, contrary to what a web page said. That's odd, because I've seen ice skating performances which were supposed to hark back to Chaplin's skating style.