You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Footwork in programs...  (Read 1883 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Footwork in programs...
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:23:45 AM »
How much does footwork effect a 6.0 scoring? I am noticing that my daughter's coach is putting a lot of footwork into dd's new preliminary programs. She has 4 months to work on it so I am sure by then, it will look much better. LOL. I'm just curious if good and more complicated footwork helps a skaters placement?

I like the added footwork, I think it will add a lot to her programs and show her growth as a skater. I like seeing more movement in her program. :)

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
Re: Footwork in programs...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:26:53 AM »
Footwork was always my daughters strength ito skating (ex ice dancer) and she has often had way more complicated step sequences than many other competitors.

Personally not convinced it helped that much although she tended to get good 2nd (artistic) scores. Some of the IJS competitions she did at the lower levels the step sequences were marked according to a level 1 no matter the steps (this was usually advertised in the competitions).

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »
Footwork can often be the "tie breaker".  If the skaters are doing the same jumps and spins- the one with better in-between steps is going to get the win.  Not to mention, it makes the programs a lot less boring than "jump"-stroke to next element "spin"- skate to next element.  Those in between moves become very important in PCS when they get to the IJS so good to learn it now!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »
I have no idea how it effects scores but my daughter was very excited when her footwork started to become "fun".  It shows her excitement well when she is on the ice.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
It's a developmental thing.  Coaches start introducing "IJS style" footwork at that level to get them ready.  In Juv, it's all ChStSeq1 now, but harder step sequences can gain higher GOEs

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:03:15 AM »
Footwork is a great thing to develop now!  I was(is) more of a power skater than a finesse skater, and I never had the polish that other skaters my level had (have).  Part of it was my coach at the time didn't emphasize it, part of it was that lower MITF were power based back in the day, the rest was lack of dedication on my part.

As an adult I find I'm way behind (twizzles will be the death of me).  I think it's great she is working on footwork now!  It will pay dividends in the long run, even if it's not scored that way immediately.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »
It's a developmental thing.  Coaches start introducing "IJS style" footwork at that level to get them ready.  In Juv, it's all ChStSeq1 now, but harder step sequences can gain higher GOEs

That is kind of what I am thinking as to why her coach is doing this. Get her ready for the upper levels. Her spirals sequences are also  something I am seeing her change. Dd is working on the Charlotte spiral. It'll be in her show program. I am interested to see how it comes together. :)

Thanks everyone!