You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Jackson support level  (Read 1771 times)

Offline SK8N

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 17
Jackson support level
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:05:57 PM »
I need new boots and am leaning towards Jacksons.  I'm just not sure what level I would need.  I look at the recommendation chart at http://www.jacksonultima.com/static/JacksonRecommendedBoot-BladeLevels2012.pdf & it states adults should be in skates with a Firmness level of 35 or 45, but can go up to 65 "with restrictions".  However, doubles start at a firmness of 65 "with restrictions".  I always thought I should be looking at boots that were for doubles since I weigh 180 lbs.  So now I'm confused what boots to buy.  If they didn't have the adults category in there, I'd just go straight for the boot for doubles.

I can't ask my pro shop.  They sell figure skates, but don't know much about them.  They are a hockey shop.  They are infamous for over & underbooting figure skaters.  I just don't trust them.  I need to know exactly what I want when I walk in there.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Jackson support level
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:17:56 PM »
What kind of skills are you attempting?

We have a larger adult at our rink (I can't even attempt to guess her weight, so I won't try) and she got Elites Supreme (the  right off the bat.  She does only small half jumps and a one foot spin.  I don't think she had any freestyle elements when she got them.  From talking to her- she loves them. (I assume she got the "F" style that has a rating of 69, which is actually lower than the non-supreme Elite skate).  It looks like a really comfortable boot, but I would think it is like concrete...  Her coach fits Jacksons and Edeas, and he has tons of skaters in both- so they knew what they were getting into and he recommended these.

I personally think something like the Competitor or Premier might be good.  I weigh less than you, and do small jumps through loop and find the Premier to be PLENTY stiff.  I almost think moving up to it was maybe too much- but I didn't want blades that come with the Competitor now.   

Can you have a few in mind and try them on?

Offline SK8N

• Sour Cow Herd
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:34:09 PM »
I can do small jumps through the flip.  I'm just starting the lutz.  I'm in LTS Freestyle 5, but my jumps are move advanced than my spins.

I really don't want blades, but I can change them out if I need to.  I currently have MK Pros and will either keep these if they fit or buy new MK Pros or Coro Aces.

I do plan on trying some on to size them, but it'll be hard to tell if it's the right level just by trying them on.  I'm sure they'll all feel stiff compared to my currently broken down Riedell's. 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:53:50 PM »
Oh- I forgot you just passed Pre-bronze! Duh!

I weigh about 40 pounds less than you, and we are a similar level.

If you don't want blades, you'd likely be fine in the Premiers.   I mean- I don't even come close to putting pressure on these things.  My coach doesn't even want me lacing the top hook so I can bend better.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:03:02 PM »
I think you'd be fine in Premiere's..  What model Riedell are you skating in now?

Moving from Riedell to almost any other brand, odds are good you will need a different size blade (shorter).  Kinzie's closet has a size chart that lists blade sizes for Jackson, so you can see if what you have might fit or not.

Offline SK8N

• Sour Cow Herd
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 01:30:26 PM »
I believe I'm currently in Gold Stars, but I'm not positive.  I've had them for about 5 years and the markings are no longer readable.  This was probably too much boot when I first started, but I got a good deal on them.  I definitely grew into them (skill wise).

I've decided I'm definitely going with Jackson Premiere's.  I'm planning on getting a new blade too.  I bought my MK Pros used and I think they are near the end of their life now.

Thanks for the help.  Everyone I know either wears Riedell or Harlick.  It's funny though because our pro shop stocks Jackson's, I just don't know anyone that wears them or even knows anything about them.

Offline Jennymd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:32:31 AM »
I've decided I'm definitely going with Jackson Premiere's.  I'm planning on getting a new blade too.  I bought my MK Pros used and I think they are near the end of their life now.

I only just found this thread now, but I would agree that Jackson Premier would be the best choice...

I have Jackson Premiere boots and I weigh the same as you and I am at the same level too! :)  The Premiere is a great boot, very supportive and comfortable, and perfect for that level.

The lady at the pro shop was worried they might be too stiff for me since I'm not up to Axel or doubles yet, but it has been fine. It only took a few hours of skating (2 or 3 sessions) to adjust to the stiffness (I had Jackson Freestyles before, which are firmness level 45, so it was a jump up of 20, skipping one boot). I had no choice anyway, I had to get Premiere as it's the lowest level boot that Jackon will do custom widths on, and I have extremely wide feet and couldn't squeeze into a stock size boot anymore.