You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dress help!  (Read 17055 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Dress help!
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:10:57 AM »
My daughter will be skating to the Jurassic Park theme song(John Williams) for her preliminary freeskate program. Not sure of the cut yet, but here is the song:

What style of dress do you see with this song? Colors? We're likely going to custom make it. Another mom will help me design it and cut the pattern for it, but I need ideas! :) Her coach will likely help by drawing some ideas as well... but I would love as many ideas as possible!

THANKS! :)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Dress help!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:26:08 AM »
I really liked the gold/flesh color of the costumes from this week's dance moms.    I thought it would look pretty on the ice.

I could also see a blue and yellow dress with the music - it reminds me of the wind.

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:11:06 AM »
Girl at our rink is having a dress in black, red and gold to that music.

PS - its a great music choice. My daughter is insisting on Witches of Eastwick for her next program and must say I'm not completely sold on the idea. She wants a witchy costume.

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:01:38 AM »
Must be something in the air because we have a skater doing that music right now too.  Her costume is green.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:34:06 AM »
I really liked the gold/flesh color of the costumes from this week's dance moms.  I thought it would look pretty on the ice.

I could also see a blue and yellow dress with the music - it reminds me of the wind.
Keep in mind, anything "all nude color" will look just that-nude. If you add more color it will tend to have more impact and "pop" on the ice which does tend to wash out a lot of color.  I do like the costumes in this dance number and loved the sleeve detail. If they were done in color (especially different colors like variegated greens and yellows) they would be beautiful.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline isakswings

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:36:25 AM »
 Her coach actually picked this one out. Dd loves the music from the super 8 sound track. She approves of this one too. Green might work! Dd is very fair so light colors wash her out on the ice. She once had a lime green dress. It liked great on her until she was on the ice! Lol I am interested in what ideas her coach has. What style of dress? Something less formal looking?

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 11:30:37 AM »
Keep in mind, anything "all nude color" will look just that-nude. If you add more color it will tend to have more impact and "pop" on the ice which does tend to wash out a lot of color.  I do like the costumes in this dance number and loved the sleeve detail. If they were done in color (especially different colors like variegated greens and yellows) they would be beautiful.

Yes, they do look nude without more to the costume.  I just like that light color - it's an interesting look.  :D  On my dd it would look less nude - she has darker skin.  But that color with aqua would be really pretty.

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »
Yes, they do look nude without more to the costume.  I just like that light color - it's an interesting look.  :D  On my dd it would look less nude - she has darker skin.  But that color with aqua would be really pretty.
Oh yes, I wasn't aware what color your daughter was. Aqua on ice is def a gorgeous color! And mixed with nude would be so beautiful!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »
Makes me excited about when dd can have custom costumes!  You know after I panic about costs....   ;)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 03:54:21 PM »
Makes me excited about when dd can have custom costumes!  You know after I panic about costs....   ;)

My daughter has only had one "custom" dress made from a dressmaker. I quote custom because our experience was not a good one at all. I like the lady who made it, but I won't ever go to her for a dress again. She has made beautiful dresses for other skaters, but my daughter's dress was so NOT up to par. The dress I made her last year turned out MUCH better and I am an amatuer. lol. This year, we are either buying a dress OTR(off the rack) or we will make one if we can't find one we like. Another mom will help me with the dress pattern. I cannot self draft my own pattern so she will make it for me. I can modify a pattern, but not draw my own. lol. I am both nervous and excited about this! It will be cheaper for me to make it then to have a seamstress make it but I only hope I can make it look fabulous! Last years freeskate dress turned out fabulous but I was nervous the entire time! HA! Both her freeskate dress and her showcase dress cost me under 150 together. I am budgeting 150 total for this years freeskate dress. I am hoping I luck out and can find deals on fabric again!

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
My daughter will be skating to the Jurassic Park theme song(John Williams)

What style of dress do you see with this song? Colors?
 but I would love as many ideas as possible!

THANKS! :)

I see dark pink, dark green, and black.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 04:47:35 PM »
She has made beautiful dresses for other skaters, but my daughter's dress was so NOT up to par. The dress I made her last year turned out MUCH better and I am an amatuer.

Honestly because you can sew, this will *always* be the case, I'm sorry to say. Just wait until you start picking apart issues with RTW dresses and modifying them is just what you do because you wouldn't be happy if you didn't "fix" them :)

Pattern drafting is really not that hard, and if you have a dress pattern you like it's easier to modify things from there than starting from scratch, but if you have someone who can even help with that part, there's no reason to hire someone else to do what you can easily do.  Often times "professional" seamstresses don't have better sewing skills than the average person, they've simply developed a business (particularly locally) because they conveniently fill a niche.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 10:59:10 PM »
Honestly because you can sew, this will *always* be the case, I'm sorry to say. Just wait until you start picking apart issues with RTW dresses and modifying them is just what you do because you wouldn't be happy if you didn't "fix" them :)

Pattern drafting is really not that hard, and if you have a dress pattern you like it's easier to modify things from there than starting from scratch, but if you have someone who can even help with that part, there's no reason to hire someone else to do what you can easily do.  Often times "professional" seamstresses don't have better sewing skills than the average person, they've simply developed a business (particularly locally) because they conveniently fill a niche.

Ha ha! You must be speaking from experience! :) I am pretty new to sewing. Until a few years ago, I hadn't sewn in years and the only article of clothing I made was a sweatshirt in the 7th or 8th grade! When my daughter was a baby, I tried to make a dress for her. My sister in law made it because I became too flustered! LOL! Not long after dd started competing, I got the ever so brillant idea to make her a dress. I got as far as a bodice and the panties and stopped. It took me another yr and a 1/2 to attempt it again. The only reason I gave it another shot was because my mother was going to help me. That dress took me 2 weeks to finish. The next dress took just a couple of days and before long, I had made a couple more dresses. A yr later, I bought a serger. LOL!

I agree it is pretty easy to modify a pattern. That is actually what I did with the dresses I made for dd's programs. The freeskate dress was my favorite. I modified a basic pattern I had. My dresses are very simple. I've actually drawn up a design we might use for her new dress. Dd and her coach liked it! It's a pretty simple design.  Dd wanted a dress with ruching. So... this one will be my first attempt at ruching!! Thankfully, another mom canhelp me with the ruching. I'm tossing around color ideas now. grays, black, green, the suggestion of pink might work. We'll likely go with a colored mesh over a solid color. Hopefully the dress will turn out like I have it pictured in my head. :) 

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 07:24:50 AM »
Once you find a pattern that works-stick with it. You can modify it and do different things with it. I did that with a Kwik-Sew pattern that fit my daughter perfectly (after a few adjustments).  Then I could slash, insert mesh here & there, color-block, etc.

I also agree that pink would look really good with the grays, black, and greens you are thinking of.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 02:04:38 AM »
Once you find a pattern that works-stick with it. You can modify it and do different things with it. I did that with a Kwik-Sew pattern that fit my daughter perfectly (after a few adjustments).  Then I could slash, insert mesh here & there, color-block, etc.

I also agree that pink would look really good with the grays, black, and greens you are thinking of.

I have mostly used a particular kwik sew pattern for dd's newest dresses. I use Jalie as well but it is the kwik sew that I have modified the most. She competed tonight and one of the judges commented on her dress. She said she loved it! What a nice compliment! :)

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 09:03:53 PM »

Yes. Keep in mind that nude, gold, white, and silver are terrible skating dress colors because they blend right in with the ice.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 11:26:55 PM »
My daughter's showcase dress is gold, but it is a metallic gold and it looked great on the ice. It probably depends on the color of the fabric. I do agree that a nude color may wash out on the ice. I DO love the costumes from Dance Moms tho! sooo pretty!!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 12:03:41 AM »
I guess I'm still in love with Sasha Cohen's gold dress!

It might blend bit it was also beautiful.
http://www.newsgab.com/attachments/celebrity-pictures/77361d1189284013-sasha-cohen-spreading-white-gold-skate-outfits-41673_44332_122_1145lob.jpg