You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: sole replacement?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
sole replacement?
« on: January 29, 2012, 05:47:13 AM »
Has anyone here ever had the soles on their boots replaced? I may end up having to do it, but I would like to hear information from anyone who has done it before, and also maybe why you had to have it done.

Thanks

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
Re: sole replacement?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:00:28 AM »
I had the soles of my last pair of Riedells replaced when the leather rotted out after "only" six years of use and one blade fell off when the screws ripped out of the heel.  (I say "only" because my precious pair of Riedells lasted 12 years so I was disappointed.)  Riedell replaced the soles - and rebuffed the uppers as well so the boots looked brand new - and and only charged me the price of the one-way shipping because they said the rotting had ben caused by "a batch bath of leather." 

If I remember correctly, it only took about a week to ten days.  I was very happy with the process.  Of course, it was several years ago and I don't wear Riedells any more so I can't vouch for the current process.

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:12:04 PM »
What kind of boots do you have? On some, like Risport, the soles can't be replaced because they're partly leather-covered plastic. But seriously, if the soles need replacing, you may want to re-evaluate the entire boot. I think having skates 12 years is definitely more the exception than the norm.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:13:43 PM »
These boots are Jackson Elite Plus customs and they are barely even broken in yet - getting another pair of skates is not an option.  It isn't a manufacturer problem; there have already been 2 blade placements so there are an excessive number of holes, and I wanted the right blade set slightly to the inside which means fewer places to put screws.

I ended up telling them just to set them both normally, which means more struggling for me to skate, but I figured at least I have skates to skate in.

Unfortunately, now I am having issues with that one blade scraping and skittering on the ice.  Another skater is having the same issue with one of her new Coronation Ace blades (same as mine).  Hers were set at a different place, and neither place can explain what the problem is.  Maybe it is a manufacturing problem, like a visually undetectable bend in the blade.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:22:27 AM »
If you pound 1/8" wood dowels into the holes (assuming they used #6 screws), you can start over again and drill new holes, including holes that overlap with the ones already drilled. If the soles are leather, they will also rot less quickly if unused holes are filled.

Can't you order insoles from the boot maker?

To make new insoles, carefully trace the old ones on cheap insoles from the dollar store or drug store that are a little too wide, and cut the new ones to match the tracings. Then add tape or adhesive foam underneath to give them the same thickness and top contour (if the same is what you want). Should take about 5 minutes. If the fit isn't close enough to stay in, add a glue or double sided tape underneath that doesn't stick too well, so you can take them out and redo them if the new ones go bad too.

Why did the old ones wore out so much faster than the boots?

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Oops. I don't remember if 1/8" is right for the dowels. Too thin and they come out. Too thick and they are hard to pound in - should be between the inner and outer diameter of the screw thread. Plus, use the rubber mallet to break off the dowels and make them roughly flush with the boot bottom.

I've also used Shoo Goo instead, but my expert says wood works better, when it comes to overlapping holes. Plus, Shoo Goo takes a long time to set.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »
My blade guy uses several pieces of a leather shoelace to fill unnecessary mounting holes, glueing them in with a special screwable glue.  He told me he's tried using matchsticks, skewers, and disposable chopsticks over the years, but prefers the shoelaces as they are the most similar to the original leather and will behave the same way.  Once the glue is cured, he can screw into it as if it was the original sole, which means he can mount "half a screw hole" over if needed.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:17:43 PM »
I love the match stick concept. What a "cool" idea!

Phosphor side out, of course. Drill lots of holes, add matchsticks, and light them all at once for a very impressive display.