You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Just a vent...Dress issues...  (Read 2752 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Just a vent...Dress issues...
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:54:01 PM »
I ordered dd a dress through a local dance store for her artistic program mid November.  After 2 weeks of placing the order (and paying for it)  I started calling weekly to see if it came in.  Long story short they have finally called and the dress will not be made.  The company making it no longer makes the dress and they have none in stock.  I have been waiting almost 8 weeks.  So now I have to rethink the dress - it is not available online anywhere and no local stores have it.  Now I have to deal with getting a refund and being very upset at being put off for so long.

And of course we have no dress.  Turns out it is difficult finding a white dress that is ethereal and child like. I really hope I can find a white leotard and someone to add a skirt locally (and quickly).

I am really bummed.  I have one dress that needs alterations and I'm missing the dress I was counting on.  :(

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
Re: Just a vent...Dress issues...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:49:20 PM »
This dress comes in children's sizes and in white.  I've known people to have delayed deliveries with this company, so you should call them if you want to give it a try. You would have to have the skirt shortened.

Another one from the same place.

My glass is half full :)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:19:57 PM »
The links just bring up different catalogs on a dance website.  I have been looking at that site ever since they called me.  I'll have her coach look as well.  For skating is it ever okay for the bottoms to wear the "booty" short bottoms that a lot of lyrical costumes use or is a traditional leotard bottom only acceptable?

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 01:30:40 PM »
As long as everything remains covered, it's fine

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »
This dress comes in children's sizes and in white.  I've known people to have delayed deliveries with this company, so you should call them if you want to give it a try. You would have to have the skirt shortened.

Another one from the same place. 

The links don't seem to go to the dresses, but I purchased a dress for my daughter from this company (River's Edge Dancewear) and I thought they were very helpful.  You might call them, explain what you need and your time constraints and see if they can suggest something that might work.  The woman I worked with (Chris, I think?) was very helpful in pros and cons of various leotard options, how long different things would take, sizing, colors, etc.  Good luck!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 12:11:12 AM »
My daughter has a white dress that they used for an egyptian number in an ice show that I thought might work, but apparently it only comes in black, red, and blue now http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_N8430.html?pid=6030&Shop=Style&SID=308478416

They have this one that might work also   http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/srelated/style_n8600c.html?SID=308478416

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:56:58 PM »
Thank you!  I had a shop tell me they had a dress.  I went in, it was too big so they called in a smaller size.  I called to see if it was in it and they said it was - but not the size I requested it was the larger - I told them You already had the larger size and it didn't work! 

I THINK I have a dress though.  It has shipped, but we will see....  it is the wrong color, but that might be okay in the long run.

I won't feel relieved until it's in my hands, and she has tried it on and it fits.  This is stressful.

Offline LilJen

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 56
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:31:39 PM »
If you still have difficulties, I highly recommend Dancewear Solutions. Have ordered several things from them--always quick (arrives within a week of ordering--usually less) and really reasonable prices. No, not super-duper high quality, but they are always adequate for the intended use.

They have this in ivory: http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/dancewear/dresses/D3717.aspx
And this in white (goes over a leotard): http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/dancewear/dresses/D3620.aspx
And this also in white (another overdress): http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/dancewear/dresses/D2660.aspx

Good luck!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »
Thank you!  I have one in my hands but it is a little small.  They are sending me a second dress - it should be here by Tuesday.  :)