You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Nerves after Falls  (Read 15552 times)

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
Re: Nerves after Falls
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2012, 11:04:08 AM »
was either skater watching where they're going?
  Senior Lady had just left the ice on a jump take off.  The other skater apparently was not and her coach wasn't paying attention either

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2012, 01:13:23 PM »
We had an mid-air collision on Thursday, too.  A girl in a lesson went up for 2Lo and was hit mid-air by a low FS girl. I was in a lesson with my coach off to the side and my coach saw it out of the corner of her eye.  Neither girl was hurt, but the girl in the jump was just so stunned by what happened that we thought maybe she was hurt.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2012, 06:48:57 AM »
  Senior Lady had just left the ice on a jump take off.  The other skater apparently was not and her coach wasn't paying attention either

Hopefully the other skater will learn now that she shouldn't rely on the coach watching but should take responsibility for her own and other people's safety.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
That's a hard way to learn that lesson (head injury, hospital visit, 8 weeks off the ice...)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2012, 03:59:17 AM »
That's a hard way to learn that lesson (head injury, hospital visit, 8 weeks off the ice...)

It is, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, and I'd hope most people learn the lesson from less serious incidents.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »
a) worst injuries due to falls my kids have had was when they were trying not to hurt other skaters who were crossing right of way or jumping carelessly. Sadly, the other kids now get out of the way and watch for my kid who is the biggest, strongest and most powerful jumper on the ice: they're scared of getting hit, so they watch out.  thus, their fear is making them more cautious and careful.

b) if you are really nervous about falling, try some martial art or gymastic training.  In martial arts in particular, you are taught how to fall so as not to injure yourself, and how to use your own momentum to "roll up" back on to your feet without a jarring stop. Years of martial arts training has paid off in terms of minimizing injuries on falls, and in removing the "fear of falling".  I would suggest aikido, something like that where you are throwing or being thrown.