You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adult skaters interacting with "muggles"  (Read 18711 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Adult skaters interacting with "muggles"
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 04:40:34 PM »
I've two doctor stories:

Doctor one: Orthopedic surgeon. I was complaining about not being able to get enough arc for a decent backbend. He looked at my records, and said, "What are you? 55? Give it up!"
He is no longer my ortho.

Doctor two: OB/GYN at the VA. She asked if I needed help getting down from the table, I said no and just hopped off. She blurted out "My goodness you're amazingly graceful." "Figure skating," I said. "Well, keep it up." she said.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline ls99

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »
The following is more along the lines of cheering. Read on.

Today at the rink a grandma, her daughter and daughter's 4 yr old son were skating. They were visitors from out of town.
Grandma on the boards white knuckled, daughter chasing son. Son spent more time falling than standing up, grinning the whole time.

Grandma fell pretty hard, so I skated over to inquire and help if needed.  She slowly climbed up, declining help. Once upright, she said, you know by the fifties it gets really hard to learn skating.

I smiled, nodded my head. Did not tell her I'm 64.
Do admire her courage though.
There must be moderation in everything. Including moderation.

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »
Maybe I'm not an "adult skater" just yet, but this was me interacting with a guy. This is kind of a direct rip-off from my Intro thread, but not everyone can read that and most people don't look there often, so here:

I sat down at one point next to an older fellow who was having obvious trouble out there, with the intent to lend some advice. He went on a rant at me immediately, I imagine taking his anger out on me. He went off saying that once you stop as a kid, you'll never be able to do it again. He kept telling me I need to lay off the fat boy food and leave Burger King alone. He was saying that he can't believe I even tried, I'm too fat to do that. I sat there and smiled and joked along with him, thinking... He's gonna hate this... I hopped up after a little while and said, while I'm gonna get back out there. He ended the convo with "Remember, when you fall, use your cushioning!" --- I got on the ice, and as he watched me, I saw his jaw drop. I purposely went out there like a damn speed skater, and went gliding into a turn, and came out speeding again, and after the lap, got to where he was.. I smiled and said "Third time, imagine that?" -- He took off his skates and left shortly after.

Quote from: Google Translator
Somehow I doubt that a competitor not only lamented that did not skate her best, because the ice cake.

Offline TheAquarian

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 04:58:32 AM »
Skating here is a pretty popular recreational activity judging from the crazy rink crowding,  however  there are few adults that are really serious about wanting to learn figure skating here in South Korea and very few men.   

The second time I skated here I went to the Lotte world rink, and when I felt that the crowd was thin enough I practiced a few basic spins and jumps.   The reaction of the people around me was hilarious first bewilderment, and then fandom.  Every time I passed  one half of the rink I had people waving and cheering.   Mind you, I was only doing waltz jumps.  It was quite amusing.

Even now when I tell people I like to skate, that I am a figure skater,  and that I can do some basic spins and jumps there's often either a mystified "Whoaaaaa..." or a  "Wink wink nudge nudge"  from guys who think I'm telling lies to impress the ladies. 

The kids here who are figure skaters are also funny.  Unlike in the USA where they mostly ignored me while on the ice,  they are very curious about what I am up to, try to talk to me, and are eager to help with Korean skating terminology.  I suspect that this is a combination of both being an adult skater, male, and (usually) being the only white person on the ice.
Pawn takes queen; reality check mate.

Offline TheAquarian

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 05:03:11 AM »
Less amusing however..   when I was still in the USA  I had a lot of people  tell me things like "Don't get your hopes up" with regard to being able to actually do anything beyond recreational skating  when I started.   Honestly my personality was way too stubborn to take them seriously,  and I derived a special satisfaction from accomplishing things people seemed to think I wouldn't be able to do.   My coach was supportive and that was all that mattered.   

I didn't need to justify myself to anyone else,  but when I did I truthfully said that it's a really fun way to keep myself healthy all year round.
Pawn takes queen; reality check mate.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 08:05:52 AM »
Less amusing however..   when I was still in the USA  I had a lot of people  tell me things like "Don't get your hopes up" with regard to being able to actually do anything beyond recreational skating  when I started.   Honestly my personality was way too stubborn to take them seriously,  and I derived a special satisfaction from accomplishing things people seemed to think I wouldn't be able to do.   My coach was supportive and that was all that mattered.   

I didn't need to justify myself to anyone else,  but when I did I truthfully said that it's a really fun way to keep myself healthy all year round.

I started lessons at 18, and one of the moms told me "I hope you don't really expect to DO anything. It's not like you'll ever be able to pass a gold test" - I passed my gold dances just after her daughter did and my Class 1 skills (like Senior MITF) just before she did (her daughter is only a couple of years younger than me and had been skating since she was 6, and is now a good friend of mine). The rest of the moms and all the kids were always very supportive of me, though.

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 02:05:46 PM »
I'm in the Boston area; I don't think anyone bats an eye that I'm 45 and have never stopped skating. There are a lot of us, I guess. That said, I don't really talk about it much to non-skaters. I mean, we've got over-60 hockey leagues; figure skating's no different.

Offline rinkrat

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 69
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »
Well I'm 16, but started 6 months ago and am homeschooled, so I skate in the adult community. All my skating friends are over 40.

This is a legit convo with a girl I met in an art class.

Them: Can you do a triple axel?
Me: Nope.
Double?
Nope.
Single?
Nope.
What can you do?
A waltz jump, two-foot spin, mohawks, 3-turns, etc.
Cool, so do you like compete?
Not yet, but I'm going to start.
Like the Olympics?
Um, no, basic skills. It's going to be filled with a bunch of 6 year olds, but it will be fun.
Haha, that's embarassing.
I don't really care.
Can you do that thing where you like sit and spin?
A sit-spin? Um, no.
Well those look really cool, you should learn how to do those.
My coach hasn't taught me yet, I have to learn other things first.
Oh, you have a coach? But isn't that for like Olympians?
No, most skaters have coaches.
How much do you pay her?
$50 for an hour.
You know how much weed you could buy with that?
Um, I don't do drugs...
Well still, that's a lot of money for a person who is competing with 6 year olds.
My parents pay for it, but I love it, so it's worth it for me.
Wow, you are spoiled.

Then the teacher came in.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »
Well I'm 16, but started 6 months ago and am homeschooled, so I skate in the adult community. All my skating friends are over 40.

<SNIPPED>
Then the teacher came in.

GREAT POST ... +64 GOE ... WELCOME TO SKATINGFORUMS!
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »

The girl is right. I could likely get a TON of weed for what I pay in skating.  At least, I think.  I've never priced it, so I don't really know.  But I do know I think of everything in terms of lessons "Oh- cute shirt, but that's like 2 lessons..."

My answer to the "Can you do a triple axel" (it is always that or "Can you skate backwards") is "No, but I know the only person in Iowa who can."   I'm not sure if I'm entirely accurate on "only person in Iowa", but it is unlikely there are more than a few others, and even this guy has moved to Indiana... but he was back last night. 

Offline Laneybug7

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 25
  • Unicorns and glitter:P
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 12:56:52 PM »
Okay, some of the typical comments or questions I've gotten are:

-Do you compete?  A) Well I did and would like to again
-Can you do a triple salchow(this was when I was first starting) A) No, not yet
-Thats so cool, are you good? A) Umm I guess
-You just have to jump up more(this was when I was working on a really bad 2sal)  Answer: No sh**.
-Can you jump and do a spinny thing  A) A what? Axel? I'm working on it

And my personal 'favorite' from my mom: See Laney it's okay to skate for fun. But doing shows and competitions are for the kids.  You're too old to compete and take lessons.  (I'm in my 20s mind you)

Here's the winner..this was when my skates were broken and I had to buy a new pair:
Me: I'm going to (insert city) to get my skates fixed
Dad: Why are you going all the way there for skating?
Me: Either I spend alittle money on gas or have to pay medical bills for a twisted ankle.
Dad: Just give it up
Me; NO!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 02:31:58 PM »
I see the same dedication in skaters as I do in runners!  Every time I see this particular runner (a guy in his early 30's), he has yet another overuse injury- most of the time it is a stress fracture.  His goal is to run a marathon in every state, so far he has completed 8.  He has heard it all as well: "Why don't you just quit, you keep getting injured!", "You are too old for all this pounding!".   He just straps on his brace and keeps going! 
If you read runners forum boards, you'll see what I'm talking about.  It is some passion!!!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 07:26:50 PM »
Back when I was skating on publics still, I got to the rink just too early, and there was still a birthday party going on, for maybe an eight-year-old girl. However, as they were off the ice, and all over by the kiosk eating cake, I figured no harm in getting ready.

Big mistake! As soon as I took my skates out of my bag I had about ten little girls crowding me! First question:

"Are you like a professional?"

Me (thinking): I WISH!

That's actually the most common question I get from muggles, I find. "Are you a professional?" It's an odd one, but I think maybe it has more to do with the fact that fewer people in Australia would consider it a sport (and therefore an Olympic sport), but more of a performance thing.

Also the only shows we usually get are the Imperial Ice Stars or, occasionally, Disney on Ice. Never a show-show, like Kings on Ice or Stars on Ice or anything. Pity, but I wonder if that shapes the thinking.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »
Also the only shows we usually get are the Imperial Ice Stars or, occasionally, Disney on Ice. Never a show-show, like Kings on Ice or Stars on Ice or anything. Pity, but I wonder if that shapes the thinking.

Even in the United States, these shows are very rare.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 07:44:13 PM »
Even in the United States, these shows are very rare.

But they still get them. Also, figure skating is televised over there. Trying to get an Australian TV station to televise it outside of the Olympics would be like pulling teeth.

(Yet they'll happily fill their channels with the worst shows known to mankind...)
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »
But they still get them. Also, figure skating is televised over there. Trying to get an Australian TV station to televise it outside of the Olympics would be like pulling teeth.

(Yet they'll happily fill their channels with the worst shows known to mankind...)

It is only televised if you can get NBC.  I don't get the channel, so I have no access to skating on TV.

Stars on Ice is only making 10 US stops this year. It isn't at all what it once was.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 11:59:30 PM »
It is only televised if you can get NBC.  I don't get the channel, so I have no access to skating on TV.

Stars on Ice is only making 10 US stops this year. It isn't at all what it once was.

One of the stops is near me, but tickets start at like $95. :( it's too expensive.

Offline Kat

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2012, 09:04:23 PM »
I told my partner today I'd gone to my skating class this morning.  He asked me, "Did you do any tricks?"

I looked at him, wondering if he's so clueless he really has paid no attention to anything I've told him about my skating (well, his work schedule is stupid so we don't always get to talk much, but still.  Does he seriously think I go to a figure skating class just to skate around and around on the ice or something?)

So I say carefully, "Define 'tricks'." 

He sort of twirls his hand in the air and says, "You know, tricks."  Yep, he means what I think he means.

"Yeah, I did some jumps and spins," I say.
"The only thing you have to be afraid of is to not fly."

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »

Does he seriously think I go to a figure skating class just to skate around and around on the ice or something?

Sounds awfully like a power class, or moves in the field, or ice dance, or beginner learn to skate... I know we're talking "muggles" here but yeah... ;)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2012, 11:30:42 PM »
I and friend went to 4CC and visited her brother there.
Brother to colleague: my sister is coming for an international figure skating competition!
Colleague: Is she skating in it?

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2012, 09:13:21 AM »
What is frustrating to me sometimes is that friends and family have are not at all impressed by my skating - until they see my scratch spin.  Granted I have a good scratch spin, but so do most other figure skaters!!  It's one of the first things you learn to do!  I show people video of my skating moves - flying spins, double jumps, and the response I get is "that's nice".  And then they see my scratch spin and they cant stop gushing.  "Wow, you spin so fast, that's amazing!"

Really?  Thousands of hours of practice and thousands of dollars and the only thing people like is a scratch spin?  Why do I bother, lol!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »
So there was a birthday party on ice yesterday with a man with a big camera accompanying the kids. He was okay on his feet, not an Ice Tourist, but someone that had not skated in decades. I skated up to him and asked if he'd like me to take a picture of him and his daughter. I took four for him and gave the camera back, saying "This is expensive, I hope you don't drop it."

It was a nice moment before I skated away, he looked so happy that he had a picture of himself and his little girl.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2012, 01:46:20 PM »
Granted I have a good scratch spin, but so do most other figure skaters!!  It's one of the first things you learn to do!

Ouch.  I consider a scratch spin to be pretty advanced (but not compared with a flying spin).

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2012, 04:44:08 PM »
Ouch.  I consider a scratch spin to be pretty advanced (but not compared with a flying spin).

Sorry to have phrased it that way - I didn't mean to offend.  I was just frustrated because I don't think non-skaters really appreciate how much effort it takes to do a lot of the jumps and spins ("tricks", as some might say).

But to turn the table, a lot of skaters (particularly male russian coaches, in my personal experience) talk about how easy back flips are.  One of the current coaches at my rink says it's "way easier than axels".  Now, if I ever tried one of those I'd probably break my neck, haha.  So I get what you are saying!

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2012, 08:44:25 PM »
Granted I have a good scratch spin, but so do most other figure skaters!!  It's one of the first things you learn to do! 

I can't spin to save my life and I've been trying to learn how for nearly 10 years.  It's not that easy.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)