You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Practicing off ice @ hm?  (Read 3055 times)

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
Practicing off ice @ hm?
« on: September 04, 2010, 03:03:29 AM »
So being new 2 skating I've been trying to work on my stuff off the ice since it pretty simple - e.g. 1 foot glides are not steady, so I try to practice standing 1 foot at home to improve my balance.

I convinced my mother to take up skating @ the same time & she attends a different class, her coach told her not to practice like that too much, its different on the ice - basically don't waste you time.... my coach encourages us all to practice standing in spiral position @ hm to improve it on the ice...

I'm not misguided in my attempts to improve without having to get on the ice am I?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Practicing off ice @ hm?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 07:39:55 AM »
Off-ice balancing is called "static" balancing and it develops stability and balance.
It's more difficult. 

On-ice balancing while gliding is called "kinetic" balancing.  The momentum allows you to carry your weight more easily.

It's fine to do off-ice balancing in an upright or spiral position.  It's also very good (later on) to practice one-foot spin positions because it makes the movements more fluid.  Yoga and Pilates can help increase balance, and so can the Wii balancing games.

If your rink offers off-ice training, balancing might only be a small part of it because they also incorporate plyometrics and other exercises.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:16:52 AM »
Try doing your spiral position while slowly rising and lowering on your skating knee; that will strengthen muscles while adding some of the kinesthetic component that ISK8NYC is referring to. If you find yourself toppling over, start by holding on then work up to where you are able to do the exercise one-handed then no-handed.

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 05:09:47 PM »
cool, thanx guys

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 09:08:11 PM »
Balancing off the ice will help you, but you will get the greatest benefit by standing on either a 1/2 foam roll, air filled disc, or balance board.  Just standing on one foot won't get you too far, but adding a dynamic component is key.  A lot of the exercises in our programs have a dynamic balance component, which means that you are moving your arms and/or leg away from the center of your body while trying to stabilize your standing leg.  Or you do a functional exercise (body weight resisted) with one of both feet on a balance challenge.  In skating, your body is always being tested dynamically, and this type of training will significantly improve your skating skills.
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more