You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skates - fsf  (Read 4804 times)

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Skates - fsf
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:27:34 PM »
isakswings
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Title: Skates
Posted: 03-07-2008, 04:53 PM

This is my 3rd attempt at trying to post my question. HOPEFULLY it actually posts today! Anyway... I bought some cheaper skates about 3 weeks ago. They are Glacier(Jackson) skates and are a very basic skate. Anyway... they are TOO BIG, which is very frustrating to me. Clearly they won't do. So, when I was at the rink Tuesday, I asked the skating director if he could measure my feet for me. They sell Riedell's there, so that is the brand he measured me for. I need a 6 in Reidell's and my current skates are a 7! From what I understand, Jackson skates run large so I must be swimming in my current boots. ACK!

The skating director suggested the Medallion series for me. He also said, if he were me, he would buy the Gold Medallion. Now, I absolutely want a boot that fits right. I'm already seeing how a boot that is too large can cause problems. Not to mention, I do not care for the blade on my current skates. All that said, I am leary of dropping 250-300 on a pair of skates for myself. Currently, I am skating about 3 days a week(sometimes more...). I don't see this stopping anytime soon and if it were possible, I would skate 5 days a week. I do love it! I'm planning on being a recreational skater. At this point, I am not planning on doing jumps, but that doesn't mean I won't change my mind and try some later. I am no where near that stage and imagine I won't be there for quite awhile. So, in your opinions, should I consider the Gold Medallions? I've thought about the Blue Ribbon model with an upgraded blade, but I imagine the Gold Medallion would have a stiffer boot and would hold my weight much better. *sigh*

TIA 

Skittl1321
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 03-07-2008, 05:29 PM

As an adult skater I wouldn't get the ribbon series- the Medallions will be a much better place to start. However, if you aren't planning on jumps it's possible you don't need a Gold Medallion- maybe one lower in the series?

$250 is about right for your "first real skates" that still come with blades. It seems like a lot, but they should last for a good while. 

jcookie1982

Posted: 03-07-2008, 07:31 PM

If you can find a skate shop that sells Jackson skates, I would look into a pair of Jackson Freestyles. The blade is pretty good, and can also be changed when you need to upgrade. They are also a bargain and you can purchase them for about $180. 

kayskate

Posted: 03-07-2008, 08:46 PM

I have silver medallion for quad roller skating. They have served me very well. I recommend them for basic adult ice skating. They may even serve you though your single jumps, should you decide to start jumping.

Kay 

isakswings

Posted: 03-07-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcookie1982 
If you can find a skate shop that sells Jackson skates, I would look into a pair of Jackson Freestyles. The blade is pretty good, and can also be changed when you need to upgrade. They are also a bargain and you can purchase them for about $180.

There is a sporting goods shop that sells Jacksons, but I certainly wouldn't call them a skate shop. They are a smaller shop but I trust them more for my son's hockey gear then I do for mine or my daughter's ice skates. I Think they carry Freestyles. They had some Jackson skates there for 215.00 and I THINK they may have been the Freestyle model. I considered them too, but I am leary since I don't know that they can fit me like my rink can. I seriously considered them since I can also get a hold of a 20% off coupon. :-)

Anyway, thanks! 

isakswings

Posted: 03-07-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayskate 
I have silver medallion for quad roller skating. They have served me very well. I recommend them for basic adult ice skating. They may even serve you though your single jumps, should you decide to start jumping.

Kay

Thanks! I really do appreciate the feedback! 

isakswings

Posted: 03-07-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittl1321 
As an adult skater I wouldn't get the ribbon series- the Medallions will be a much better place to start. However, if you aren't planning on jumps it's possible you don't need a Gold Medallion- maybe one lower in the series?

$250 is about right for your "first real skates" that still come with blades. It seems like a lot, but they should last for a good while.

Thank you! If I do go with Riedell I may just go for the Gold Medallion. I was searching the difference in price and really, it's a matter of 40.00. If I am going to spend 200+ I may as well buy the best model I can. KWIM?

Thanks again! 

momsk8er

Posted: 03-08-2008, 09:37 AM

If you can try on both the Jacksons and the Reidells, it would be good. They fit very differently, so depending on the shape of your foot you might be more comfortable in one over the other. Try on the Reidells first, and get all the expertise from the fitter about the shape and size of your foot, plus what to look for in the fit (ie. no heel lifting, can wiggle your toes, etc). Then go try on the Jacksons and decide which one fits you better. Only you can really make that decision, although a good fitter can give you advice, its your foot.

I offer this advice because I have been skating for several years in Reidells, and they always hurt my feet. I didn't know any better - I thought skates just hurt. But I switched to Jacksons and they don't hurt at all. This is because, as we've said here a lot, the Jackson fit better on a foot that has a wide ball and a narrow heel.

Just my opinion, YMMV 

CanAmSk8ter

Posted: 03-08-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isakswings 
There is a sporting goods shop that sells Jacksons, but I certainly wouldn't call them a skate shop. They are a smaller shop but I trust them more for my son's hockey gear then I do for mine or my daughter's ice skates. I Think they carry Freestyles. They had some Jackson skates there for 215.00 and I THINK they may have been the Freestyle model. I considered them too, but I am leary since I don't know that they can fit me like my rink can. I seriously considered them since I can also get a hold of a 20% off coupon. :-)

Anyway, thanks!

Your instincts are right here, IMO- shops that don't specialize in figure skating euipment generally have employees with only a very basic knowledge of skate fitting, if that. If you're already having issues with the fit of your current skates, I think you're right to go with the skate shop and spend the extra money.

As far as the boot, I don't recommend the Ribbon series for adults- they're just not made for much more than a 75-pound beginner. I think our pro shop usually puts brand-new beginning adults in the Softec skates, and from there if they stick with they go to a Silver or Gold Medallion, depending on size, weight, how much they're skating, etc. Unless you're very petite, I think skating three days a week means the Gold Medallion is probably the best Riedell for you. If you knew of a competent fitter who sold Jacksons and could fit you and have you try them on, it would be great, but it sounds like the Gold Medallion should work for you. 

Bunny Hop

Posted: 03-08-2008, 06:10 PM

I have Riedell Gold Medallions. Although I am working on teeny tiny waltz (three) jumps, I would basically say I don't jump. I'm no lightweight. I've had the boots several months now and I love them - no more foot pain. They fit very well, even though I was worried because everyone says Riedells aren't good if you had wide feet (I told the fitter that, and he was quite puzzled!). So I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Gold Medallions for what you're planning, but as someone else said, everyone's feet are different and this affects which boot brand you prefer. 

isakswings

Posted: 03-08-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsk8er 
If you can try on both the Jacksons and the Reidells, it would be good. They fit very differently, so depending on the shape of your foot you might be more comfortable in one over the other. Try on the Reidells first, and get all the expertise from the fitter about the shape and size of your foot, plus what to look for in the fit (ie. no heel lifting, can wiggle your toes, etc). Then go try on the Jacksons and decide which one fits you better. Only you can really make that decision, although a good fitter can give you advice, its your foot.

I offer this advice because I have been skating for several years in Reidells, and they always hurt my feet. I didn't know any better - I thought skates just hurt. But I switched to Jacksons and they don't hurt at all. This is because, as we've said here a lot, the Jackson fit better on a foot that has a wide ball and a narrow heel.

Just my opinion, YMMV

Thank you. Unfortunately, I cannot try on Riedells. I cannot find anywhere that sells them locally. The rink sells them, but they do not have models you can try on. They measure your foot and do tell you what width and size you need, but there is no way for me to know until they come in, how they will feel on my feet. That is part of the reason I am scared to spend so much!

I did go and try on a pair of Jackson Competitor skates and they felt A LOT better then the model I am now in. They were a 7(which is the size of the saktes I am in now that seem too big!) but my heel fit nicely into them and my foot felt snug in them. I'm seriously thinking about them now. I actually would likely go with the Freestyle if I get Jacksons. I am a little concerned about the toe pick on the blade of the competitors! :-)

Thanks again 

Skate@Delaware

Posted: 03-08-2008, 07:06 PM

You will adjust to the toepick. It won't take but a week or so of that as often as you skate.

And, as often as you are skating, it is in your best interest to spend the $$$ and get the skates that do fit the best. Over time, you will get your money out of them. 

isakswings

Posted: 03-08-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAmSk8ter 
Your instincts are right here, IMO- shops that don't specialize in figure skating euipment generally have employees with only a very basic knowledge of skate fitting, if that. If you're already having issues with the fit of your current skates, I think you're right to go with the skate shop and spend the extra money.

As far as the boot, I don't recommend the Ribbon series for adults- they're just not made for much more than a 75-pound beginner. I think our pro shop usually puts brand-new beginning adults in the Softec skates, and from there if they stick with they go to a Silver or Gold Medallion, depending on size, weight, how much they're skating, etc. Unless you're very petite, I think skating three days a week means the Gold Medallion is probably the best Riedell for you. If you knew of a competent fitter who sold Jacksons and could fit you and have you try them on, it would be great, but it sounds like the Gold Medallion should work for you.

Thanks! I tried the Jackson Competitor skate on today. I liked how they felt, but quite honestly, I am still leary for all the reasons I stated before. They were very helpful when we purchased my son's hockey gear, but the guy who helped us, plays hockey and knows about hockey equipment. He was very attentive and spent over an hour with us.I feel quite content with the fit of my son's hockey gear. But when it comes to figure skates, he doesn't know too much. My feet definately felt more secure in the Competitors then in my current skate. They were the same size as my current skates, but they fit much more securely then my skates do. My heel fit nicely in the boot and my toes seemed to be in the right place. BUT honestly, I cannot be 100% sure about the fit. I know it is better... but I don't know how to tell if it is the right fit. KWIM? One idea I DO have is to get those skates(or order a pair of Freestyles off the internet) and take them to my friend's house. She used to be a competive skater and would gladly look at how they fit me before I used or sharpened them. THEN if they don't fit me correctly, I can return them. I just need to be sure I don't sharpen them or use them and returning is not a problem. Anyway... thanks for your feedback! 

isakswings

Posted: 03-08-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny Hop 
I have Riedell Gold Medallions. Although I am working on teeny tiny waltz (three) jumps, I would basically say I don't jump. I'm no lightweight. I've had the boots several months now and I love them - no more foot pain. They fit very well, even though I was worried because everyone says Riedells aren't good if you had wide feet (I told the fitter that, and he was quite puzzled!). So I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Gold Medallions for what you're planning, but as someone else said, everyone's feet are different and this affects which boot brand you prefer.

Thank you! Your post was very helpful! I appreciate the feedback!

Angie 

isakswings

Posted: 03-08-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skate@Delaware 
You will adjust to the toepick. It won't take but a week or so of that as often as you skate.

And, as often as you are skating, it is in your best interest to spend the $$$ and get the skates that do fit the best. Over time, you will get your money out of them.

Thank you. The skates were like these:
http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/sit...80F44898194C25 but I think the blade was different. I think it was an MK blade? Hmmmm

I called and was told that their skates have either a Mark IV or Ultima Mirage blade on them. I still swear I saw an MK symbol. Does MK manufature those blades? 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Re: Skates - fsf
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
CanAmSk8ter

Posted: 03-09-2008, 01:50 PM

I think the Mark IV is an MK blade. 

isakswings

Posted: 03-10-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAmSk8ter 
I think the Mark IV is an MK blade.

Thanks. Now if only I can decide what I want to do. Dh says these skates will be my b-day gift. YIPPY!