You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Icercize DVD  (Read 2757 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Icercize DVD
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:12:39 AM »
I've seen this video advertised and a local ice rink actually offers an "Icercize" on-ice class once a week.

Icercize
Valerie Palencar
$40 / DVD

Introduction:

Demo #1:

Lots of good advice and information on that site.  They're offering an instructor certification, if anyone's interested:
http://www.icersize.com/For_Instructors.html
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Icercize DVD
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 11:26:58 AM »
I only watched the first video but the toe steps across the ice they are doing at 0:37 tells me she expects signifigantly good skaters that it doesn't seem like they need to be doing this sort of exercise, which off ice seems geared toward an aerobic beginner, but in skates, on ice seems like a challenge- just go do a regular freestyle session or power class.  Ice time seems too expensive and limited to do basic stretching and simple aerobics on it.

Our rink has started offering Zumba classes in the party rooms during LTS.  Unfortunately, it's only like 6 year olds who do it, so I don't really want to join in.  None of the freestyle kids go, or parents- which is what I think was the original intention (exercise while your kid skates)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 05:32:56 PM »
I only watched the first video but the toe steps across the ice they are doing at 0:37 tells me she expects signifigantly good skaters that it doesn't seem like they need to be doing this sort of exercise, which off ice seems geared toward an aerobic beginner, but in skates, on ice seems like a challenge- just go do a regular freestyle session or power class.  Ice time seems too expensive and limited to do basic stretching and simple aerobics on it.

I don't know about the step across being for skaters with experience, I learned that in Beta, so it seems okay for beginners. Honestly I've toyed with the idea of what a skating exercise class would be like, bec. you burn up about 30% more calories skating than doing aerobics.

What I'd really like is something that I could put on my iPod with music that has some coach barking in my ear :  "Stoke....hooooooold.....stroke.....hold....3 turn! now alternating crossovers, GET DOWN IN YOUR KNEES!"
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »
Really? You could do those kind of.grapevine steps in beta? I find most adults to be terrified of that kind of sideways movement...especially having to do it at everyone's speed, and not on their own. Many adults (myself included) are very frightened about doing anything on their toe picks, like those step touches.  I would be uncomfortable doing that and have my bronze moves.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »
I agree with Skittl, I am really uncomfortable stepping on my toepicks.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 10:26:17 PM »
I don't know how useful is this DVD for someone to get by without actually enrolling in a lesson. Does not seem to have enough instructions.

To complement lessons, maybe.

I agree with Skittl, I am really uncomfortable stepping on my toepicks.

When I first took power classes around FS1-ish, coach had us tip-toe laps around the ice fast: forward backward sideways and what not. That's the single exercise I was not able to keep up with and absolutely dreaded. Worked the calves nicely though.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 11:25:51 PM »
When I first took power classes around FS1-ish, coach had us tip-toe laps around the ice fast: forward backward sideways and what not. That's the single exercise I was not able to keep up with and absolutely dreaded. Worked the calves nicely though.

That sounds awful and terrifying.