You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Common questions before the first competition / test session  (Read 20701 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Common questions before the first competition / test session
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2012, 11:33:22 PM »
My coach said if we have to get a sharpie and write the order out on my hand for the test session, that it's okay :)

I was so thinking about a cheat sheet, too!

she said that the thing a lot of people get dinged on with their first few tests is not stopping fully between each move, and skating before the judges are ready.

This is a great tip, thank you!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2012, 12:25:56 AM »
USFSA has standard music for the tests.. you can buy it on a disc from them, I think it's about $20.  As far as who is responsible for bringing it, I have no idea.. I would assume your coach would gladly supply it.

The test chair supplies the music.  I always used the one from USFS.  Although when my DD tested dance at other rinks, I heard some other music.  The good news for dancers is that you should get to hear at least one minute of your dance music during the warm-up.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2012, 12:39:51 AM »
Good luck on your tests!!  You'll do great ;)  What tests are you taking?  As Caraskates had said, if the judges ask you to reskate anything, it is because they want to pass you!!  Just some encouraging words, at the last test I took one of the judges said to me how awesome she thought it was that I, as an adult, was skating and taking tests.  She said she and the other two judges had the easy job of watching :)  They were really nice and it made me feel really relaxed.  Actually I think I skated that test better than any other test or competition I've ever skated in my life!!

Yes, from talking with many judges (when I was the test chair), the judges don't give you a reskate unless you are very close.  

My coach always tells her skaters to do the practice before the reskate.  If nothing else, you can get a drink of water and catch your breath.  So I would consult with your coach before reskating an element. Just let the judges know you are ready before you reskate - to make sure they see you.

If you don't pass, you can request to talk to the judges through the test chair.  Almost all of them would be happy to speak to you. Sometimes the writing can be hard to read and it's good to get clarification.  My DD did that once when she didn't pass a dance test.  She politely asked about some of the comments on the form.  The judge was very encouraging to her and she got some good tips that helped her pass the next time.

Remember the judges are volunteers and always appreciate a thank you at the end of your test.

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2012, 08:51:39 AM »
After practicing for months with nice finishing presenting glides after each element was finished, in my test I just skated from one to the next. In the UK (at the rinks Iv'e skated at anyway), you only stop long enough to show you've stopped, you don't have to wait a length of time or for a signal from the judges). I think it might be so they can see you can get power up in jsut a few pushes.

I think they only get you to do the reskate if they think your mark in the reskate will bring you up to the total pass mark. I didn't hit the pass mark on my crossovers or my landing positions the first time round. They told me I needed more extension on my landing positions (and spirals), and asked me to reskate them, which I then passed. I still hadn't passed the crossovers, but my mark on the edges was high enough that it didn't amtter, I still passed over all.

Good judges should be happy to give feedback. There's no point saying someone is failing without telling them why.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2012, 06:15:01 PM »
There was one dance test session my daughter skated that had quite a few reskates on dance tests. A lot of them were at the Silver level where you first start having to do a solo in addition to partnering.  A certain coach's skaters were not doing the right number of patterns Solo - 3  - on the Rocker Foxtrot solo because the other two dances - Tango and American Waltz only needed 2 patterns.  The judges were kind enough to let the skaters skate one more pattern.

This is odd because there are only two patterns required on the solo for the Rocker Foxtrot...

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2012, 06:28:49 PM »
This is odd because there are only two patterns required on the solo for the Rocker Foxtrot...

I think PinkLaces may be a non-US skater.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2012, 06:48:13 PM »
I think PinkLaces may be a non-US skater.

OOOOOHHHHHHHH.  Thanks (duh!)  ;)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2012, 11:02:53 AM »
Where do judges sit in general? For the free skate program, should I present to the audience side (bleachers) or the judges side (likely the hockey box)?

I only skated shows / exhibitions so far and always presented to the audience, did not occur to me that judges may sit in the opposite direction lol.

I guess it's probably not life or death important, during dance tests we presented to the audience side because we had to start from the other end of the rink. Oh well :)

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
Skaters in my area are told to always present to the judges for a competition or a test.  After you present to the judges, it's ok to glance at audience and acknowledge them as well for a competition.  I wouldn't acknowledge anyone in audience for a test - that's a more formal situation. 

And skaters in my area always bow to the judges first at end of their FS at a competition.  Audience is always secondary.  You are skating for the judges in a competition or test.  In a show or exhibition, you are skating for the audience.

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2012, 08:04:37 AM »
In competitions and tests, everyone I know orients the program with the judges as the "front", and bows to the judges first.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »
Cross-posted for future reference:

Word of warning, make sure after three weeks your test is registered with USFSA. The one Drew took with one of your clubs down there isn't and I cant register him for regionals until I get it taken care of.

It was fairly straightforward for new members to request login credentials on USFS website. I logged in and my test from July 22 was not reflected as of today (2 days from 3 weeks). Many thanks to twokidsskatemom for the nice tip.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Thanks Live2Sk8 and turnip. I'll hopefully end the program facing the hockey box :)

Where do judges usually sit? I guess if the direction is unexpected, one could alway flip the program?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2012, 03:31:08 PM »
I guess if the direction is unexpected, one could alway flip the program?

Yes, and in fact practicing it this way is good if you plan on performing it at an unfamiliar rink because you'll already be more accustomed to figuring out where on the ice you need to be rather than looking for landmarks around the rink.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »
Every rink is different in where the judges sit.  Sometimes it is on the same side as the audience and sometimes it is on the opposite side.  So yes, I always practice my programs in both directions if I have a competition coming up and don't know the rink layout.  It is amazing how disoriented one can get when changing the program direction!  And I truly didn't think I was relying on any rink landmarks.  It doesn't help when you have multiple programs but only know a few jumps and spins, so the programs all have similar elements but in a different order and placement on the ice surface.  Keying elements to phrases in the music helps, too, so you're not thinking 'do the salchow at this place on the ice' - instead you're thinking 'do the salchow when you hear these notes in music'. 

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2012, 09:30:24 AM »
Every rink is different in where the judges sit.  Sometimes it is on the same side as the audience and sometimes it is on the opposite side.  So yes, I always practice my programs in both directions if I have a competition coming up and don't know the rink layout.  It is amazing how disoriented one can get when changing the program direction! 
I have done my program in so many different rinks at this point that I'm liable to get disoriented even in my home rink. I finally had think about it and realize that after starting in the center, I then go to the left back corner. Before I had just relied on what felt right. Now I just remember which direction to go in initially, and I'm fine after that.

It doesn't help that my rink is also not a full-length rink, so I also have to figure out how to stretch it out. I think this creates more issues for the skaters used to longer rinks who come and compete or test in ours.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2012, 05:27:43 PM »
What amount of practice / lesson is recommended the day before a test and on the test day? I know the decision depends on individual skater, just curious what are the general dos and don'ts? :)

My test is Saturday morning, the last lesson leading into it is Wednesday (or Friday night but I thought it's late). It seems a very long break in between and I could practice Friday early morning, Friday late night, or Saturday early morning for like an easy half hour, not to wear myself out. Friday night is probably the best as long as the test is not in the early morning... :)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2012, 05:34:07 PM »
I think I would go to that early morning Saturday session just to get your feet on the ice that day.

Other than that it may be okay to go late Friday night but not TOO late as you may not sleep well that night and then that will just make you more nervous (it would me).

Otherwise going just a few days before that will probably be fine.  It is always a little tricky to know how much to skate RIGHT before a test.

Good luck and have fun!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2012, 08:47:09 PM »
A certain coach's skaters were not doing the right number of patterns Solo - 3  - on the Rocker Foxtrot solo because the other two dances - Tango and American Waltz only needed 2 patterns.  The judges were kind enough to let the skaters skate one more pattern.

Something of this sort happened on the test session I just attended. I vaguely heard it was about the number of patterns on her European or Foxtrot. Must be really frustrating!

What to do while the judges deliberate...

The norm seems to be standing about 3 feet away from the boards waiting. There was a coach who called her skater to back up, that the skater stood too close to the judges. The skater backed up by a foot. Coach yelled "2 back swizzles!" The skater did 2 back swizzles that covered maybe 6 inches. It was a double paneled intermediate moves test, and the other skater just stood by the boards and watching the judges. Hilarious :P

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2012, 08:52:37 PM »
Something of this sort happened on the test session I just attended. I vaguely heard it was about the number of patterns on her European or Foxtrot. Must be really frustrating!

Both the European and the Rocker only have two patterns for the solo and I didn't understand this comment the first time.  Three patterns is a lot to solo for any dance - but now going to look up the rule for testing Solo Dance vs testing Standard with partner...