You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Delta/JFK THREW OUT Skates  (Read 7967 times)

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
Delta/JFK THREW OUT Skates
« on: March 13, 2011, 05:36:31 PM »
Not sure where this should go, but it really only affects skaters, so I'm putting it here.  Moderators feel free to move or repost on anther forum for a wider audience.  

An adult skater I know showed up with new skates today and told me why.  She was flying from NY to FL, and thought she could carry her skates on.  The line for the security checkpoint was 2 hrs long, and when she got to the front, they said the blades were sharp and she couldn't carry them on.  They then took the skates and threw them out right before her eyes!  Luckily, they were not expensive skates/blades, but even so!  Since many of us fly with skates, I thought I should remind us all that the TSA is capricious, and you risk your skates if you try to carry them on.
My glass is half full :)

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
Re: Delta/JFK THREW OUT Skates
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:49:27 PM »
OMG--how heartbreaking and infuriating!!

I heard a rumor once that the USFS had somehow arranged for skaters to bring skates on board if the skater showed proof of being legit. I am skeptical.  I guess if you hate the idea of checking your skates, you could double check your insurance.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 06:00:02 PM »
OMG--how heartbreaking and infuriating!!

I heard a rumor once that the USFS had somehow arranged for skaters to bring skates on board if the skater showed proof of being legit. I am skeptical.  I guess if you hate the idea of checking your skates, you could double check your insurance.

As a side note, the skater's luggage was lost, and finally recovered, two days after her flight.  She was going to FL for a cruise and was just lucky that she had planned to arrive a few days early.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 06:18:43 PM »
It's not DELTA that would reject the skates, it's the TSA, which is independant.  Granted, Delta lost her luggage.

I flew out of JFK last May with two pairs of Klingbeil skates in my carry on.  I usually check a bag, but I didn't that time for various reasons.  The TSA agents didn't say a thing and let me through with no problem, which really surprised me. 

I arrived prepared with a printout of the TSA's list of banned items - figure skates aren't on the list of sporting goods.  I told the TSA agents that I had figure skates in the bag, so they wouldn't be surprised.  They do look dangerous on the x-ray, like big knives with pointy things at the end.

The TSA agents are capricious, though: some friends have said that the TSA agents at other airports didn't let them bring the skates a carry-on even with the list since skates AREN'T on the list of "Okay Items."  Too bad your friend didn't think to ask to have the skates gate-checked rather than letting them be tossed out; that's what my friends did on their way to competitions. 

Did you friend have hard guards on the blades?  Without guards, they are weapons or at the least, something dangerous that could fall out of an overhead and hurt someone.  I put hard guards on both pairs, using twist-ties to secure them in place. 

Sorry for her loss, but new skates are always nice.  How long ago did this happen?

PS - A woman started to leave with my bag of skates!  She didn't speak english, so it was hard to explain that she had the wrong bag.  She mistook my PSA bag for her own carryon, which was in the next overhead compartment. 

When I saw her bag, I knew it was a simple mistake.  Can you imagine her reaction when this 70-year old granny opened what she though was her bag and found ice skates?  She laughed all the way off the plane when she saw what my bag contained.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 07:34:17 PM »
This happened in the past 3 weeks.  I think she just came back from her cruise.  I don't know if she had hard guards on them, but I do know she did not have time to get them checked after waiting 2 hrs to get through security.  If they had been expensive skates, I'm sure she would have put up some kind of fuss and demanded an alternative.  The whole problem is that the TSA is so capricious!  I don't think they are terribly competent, and there are far worse things than losing one's skates in that case.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 09:22:55 PM »
ITA - there should be one, consistent policy instead of it being handled on a case-by-case basis. 

I was really surprised  with my flight - I expected to have no problem flying into JFK (and I didn't), but I assumed I'd be given a hard time flying back out of JFK, especially after doubling the number of skates.  Four bolo-blades, no waiting.  I'll bet it varies based on security level and who's working that day.

I usually check my skates, but I don't fly to shows or competitions where I actually have to skate. I'm usually just bringing them so I can go hang out with Renatele in Joisey.  If they get lost, they buy me new ones. 

If they weren't expensive and she was going on vacation, why didn't she check them? (I'm just wondering out loud.)  She was willing to gamble checking the clothing, and at least she got that back in time for the cruise.  At least she had a shot at getting the skates back.  Really stinks that they tossed them out.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »
When we flew with the synchro team, the coaches put all the skates in big, hard-sided luggage and checked them.  It was all or nothing after landing, which is a calculated risk. 

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 07:33:19 AM »
In other countries it's not possible at all to take your skates as carry on. Both the British and Australian government regulations regarding cabin baggage specifically mention ice skates as being prohibited in the carry on bags (Europe will be the same, as Britain follows EU guidelines). So it's not even a choice for a lot of people outside the US. There is minimal risk of luggage being delayed (or, even more rarely, lost) if you arrive at the airport in plenty of time, leave plenty of time for any connections where applicable (i.e. at least an hour, so your bags have time to get from one plane to another), and label your bags properly.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 08:03:29 AM »
. . .  There is minimal risk of luggage being delayed (or, even more rarely, lost) . . . 
Hmmm, considering all the competitors who have had this very problem in the last several events (lost luggage, delayed luggage, NO skates to compete in) I'd say the risk is significantly higher than 'minimal'.

RE the TSA throwing out the skates; that's outrageous. They are supposed to give the passenger the option of going back to check the item or arranging to mail it. Or the passenger can elect to throw the item away. I can't imagine the TSA did not offer these options before tossing the skates -- of course, these options would probably result in a missed flight unless they allow them to gate-check it, but at least it's then the passenger's call.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 08:17:36 AM »
I'm guessing that there's more to the story than "They threw out my skates."  Generally, unless the items are classed as weapons or drugs, the passenger is given the option to put the items into their checked luggage or to check the bag separately.  TSA would direct the passenger to go back to the ailine counter to do that. 

Of course, checking the bag with the skates in it would probably mean that the passenger would have to pay the checked bag fee, so maybe she just decided that it was cheaper to let TSA discard the skates and then buy new ones when she got home.

I always check my skates on a plane trip.  It's not as if I need them in the plane and I'd rather have space in my carry-on for stuff I'm actually going to use.  I've never had my skates lost, and in all the competitions I've flown to, I've only heard of a couple people who did - and even then, they got them back within a day or so.

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 09:39:15 AM »
The TSA indeed doesn't list a policy.

I don't know about other U.S.-located airlines, but Continental has this policy:

Continental accepts ice skates as checked baggage.

Ice skates are not permitted in carry-on baggage.

If the ice skates are checked as an individual item, it will be counted as part of the baggage allowance.

It's probably the case with the other airlines, too. Maybe that's a good reason to keep old skates. If you want to skate on vacation, bring those. For competition, I guess you just have to hope for the best and maybe fly out a little earlier in case you have to spend a few hours at the airport tracking your bags.

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »
If you go to the TSA's website, they specifically list forbidden sports equipment here:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1038.shtm
You can also point out to them that the figure skate is pictured with the other allowable equipment. If you must carry them on, I would take a copy of that page with you. I never carry mine on because they weigh a ton and I figure if the airline loses them they will pay for new boots, which I would love to have!!

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 06:19:43 PM »
I suspect that photo is just for decoration and isn't meant to signify allowed items. The full list doesn't mention skates one way or another, but it does say, "The prohibited items list is not intended to be all-inclusive and is updated as necessary. To ensure travelers' security, Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) may determine that an item not on the Prohibited Items List is prohibited."

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 06:51:54 PM »
Doubletoe says that she goes to the TSA supervisor and gets them to approve or reject the skates by stamping/signing a copy of the allowed items list.  http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1038.shtm

Then she presents it to the screeners.

Good suggestion!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 07:07:09 PM »
I have a professional acquaintance in the TSA. I asked him this question and he stated categorically that 'figure skates are not carry on authorized.'

Those of you who have used the picture from the TSA website to validate carrying skates aboard, have got lucky. Maybe you got a new guy or someone who is inexperienced.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 07:17:55 PM »
I have a professional acquaintance in the TSA. I asked him this question and he stated categorically that 'figure skates are not carry on authorized.'

Those of you who have used the picture from the TSA website to validate carrying skates aboard, have got lucky. Maybe you got a new guy or someone who is inexperienced.
Sorry, that's his OPINION, regardless of how well-connected he is within the TSA.  Unless it's in writing, it's not a rule.
Rules have to be fair and applied to everyone.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 07:51:28 PM »

Rules have to be fair and applied to everyone.

We are talking about the TSA, right? :laugh:

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »
Anyhow, the TSA did put in writing that they can ban any item they deem unsuitable for carry-on luggage on the spot. So their rule says they can make up the rules as they go. :-\ :bash

"The prohibited items list is not intended to be all-inclusive and is updated as necessary. To ensure travelers' security, Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) may determine that an item not on the Prohibited Items List is prohibited."

But it is a good idea to go early to ask the supervisor on duty if they will allow carry-on skates that day and then ask him or her to give you a document to show the TSOs.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 08:07:33 AM »
Lexi Rohner mentioned this story in her Adult Nationals blog.
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110413&content_id=17721904&vkey=ice_news

Transportation can be difficult these days, and carrying skates on board airplanes can make it worse. The TSA does allow skates as carry on items, however it is up to the individual airport if they feel it is not appropriate. Always be prepared to check them if asked. Rumor has it a skater once had their skates tossed in the trash at security. The choice was between keeping them and taking a later flight, or making the flight without the skates.

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 02:54:07 PM »
Lexi Rohner mentioned this story in her Adult Nationals blog.
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110413&content_id=17721904&vkey=ice_news

How could arriving without skates be a logical option? Unless it was a family emergency and the skates were not the main reason for the trip. Or maybe they were flying home and they had more skates there?

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
Skates are too expensive to let them get trashed.  A decent pair of skates and blades are like $750+ for a lot of people, MORE if you have a higher end blade with custom skates (i.e. Custom Klings and Gold Seal Blades...).  I would never have that happen.  I would miss the flight.  It wouldn't even be an option for me.

And I'd probably get arrested if any TSA agent even thought to toss my equipment in a trash can.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 06:09:55 PM »
How could arriving without skates be a logical option? Unless it was a family emergency and the skates were not the main reason for the trip. Or maybe they were flying home and they had more skates there?

As I mentioned in the original post, the skater whose skates were tossed was headed to Florida for a cruise.  It was not a skating related trip.

Skates are too expensive to let them get trashed. 

Not everyone's skates are.  As I stated earlier, they were not expensive skates.  Her new ones are another story.