You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Sizes.. ARGH!  (Read 1820 times)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Sizes.. ARGH!
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »
I realized as I was getting dressed to skate today, that I am wearing 3 different sizes of pants... extra large mountain hardware integral tights (these are basically wool leggings), large under armour base 2.0 leggings, and medium under armour coldgear pants.  They all fit the same!  Two are even the same brand!  The sizing makes NO SENSE, and I've always gone with "what fits" but this is isnane :D

To top it off I am wearing an XXL old navy tank under a large old navy running shirt... and the running shirt is a bit loose, and the tank is skin-tight (I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it on it's own).  I don't get it!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Sizes.. ARGH!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:34:30 AM »
If it's any consolation, I'm finding it with all clothes and not just skating ones. But I'm mildly fed up that I'm a medium in non-skate wear (unless they've resized things again) and that I'm XL in skatewear. Given that we've got standardised sizing across manufacturers (or that was the aim but an 8 in one store might be a 6 or a 10 in another) how come skating manufacturers haven't adopted the same sizing?
And I've never worked out why competition fit is so tight. I'd never actually get into a dress that small let alone skate in it.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:17:32 AM »
Given that we've got standardised sizing across manufacturers
Oh that's so not true!  I can wear a 4 at white house black market, and at JC Penny's I'm a size 12 pants!  (And petite small in tops...)

I think skatewear runs so small because, well have you seen skaters?  Except for the thighs, they are TEENY compared to the general population.  They don't make skatewear for normal sized adults.  "Adult" size skatewear is meant for teens who are slight.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Oh that's so not true!  I can wear a 4 at white house black market, and at JC Penny's I'm a size 12 pants!  (And petite small in tops...)

Well I think it was meant to be standard. (It's got a bit screwed up in recent years).

I think skatewear runs so small because, well have you seen skaters?  Except for the thighs, they are TEENY compared to the general population.  They don't make skatewear for normal sized adults.  "Adult" size skatewear is meant for teens who are slight.

Yeah, but not all teen skaters are slight (I know the Junior level ones will be but the teens of the same age who aren't Junior level are slightly more normal sized). I know just as many who are a similar size to me (or larger), who want to do competitions and the shops manage to make clothes to fit all sizes.