You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate Swaps  (Read 4196 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Skate Swaps
« on: March 29, 2011, 04:59:13 PM »
What are some effective techniques to organizing Skate Swap sales?

Do you collect the labeled items ahead of time, then issue credit chits or just let people collect the money themselves?
How do you handle less-than-worthy items, like broken-down boots, sunken blades or worn out/damaged blades?

Online or special event?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Skate Swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:04:15 AM »
For smaller rinks / clubs selling online is very difficult IMO. But promoting the event itself online never hurts.

I've been to two skate swaps at the rinks I skate at. Both organized by the rink and they handle $$, all I did was to drop off labeled items. They deduct a commission if anything is sold.

Rink 1 had specific time windows for drop off and pick up (all on the day of sale, and they confiscate unclaimed items), rink 2 was much more flexible and items were dropped of at concession stand days in advance and unsold items picked up days after. Both rinks had disclaimer saying they are not responsible for lost items.

IIRC items for sale were mostly costumes and skates tended to be low-end. Don't know if anything could be done to turn way fully-broken-down skates. I believe at Rink 1 there was some display board about choosing skates but can't remember well.

I think a local craigslist-type listing for skates would be an excellent idea (my recreational skates were sold on craigslist but serious skaters don't usually list there). Or maybe all the (worthy) used skates end up with our local Rainbo store? Who knows ;)  

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »
Our rink keeps a rack of skates and costumes in the skate director's office.
You tag your item with a price and your name/phone number.  There is a honor system to pay the person whose item you took.

I've been paid for everything I left- often by people I had never met before.  I've never heard anyone complain they weren't paid.
Some have actually called me, some have just left an envelope of money with the skate director.

The club doesn't take any sort of commission.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:36:58 AM »
Our rink keeps a rack of skates and costumes in the skate director's office.
You tag your item with a price and your name/phone number.  There is a honor system to pay the person whose item you took.

Wow I think I like this system, ease of consignment sale without having to travel. Some responsibility for the rink even if they disclaim it, but since it's actually an office, parents are probably comfortable leaving expensive skates there.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:38:40 AM »
I think part of the comfort is that if they DO get stolen (and none ever have) it's really no worse then them being left in a closet at home for 10 years- either way, they are useless to the skater.  This way there is at least a way to get them sold.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 11:08:51 PM »
What are some effective techniques to organizing Skate Swap sales?

Do you collect the labeled items ahead of time, then issue credit chits or just let people collect the money themselves?
How do you handle less-than-worthy items, like broken-down boots, sunken blades or worn out/damaged blades?

Online or special event?

Our club does this periodically. The most successful swaps have been held in conjunction with a competition or a LTS Bridge night. We're going to try to have one the night of the club's show dress rehersal. There are quite a few LTS kids in the show, so I think it will be successful. A couple of years ago they tried having them every couple of months or during club parties, but that wasn't very successful. The most successful swaps seem to be the swaps where LTSkaters are present.

If our club is hosting the swap, they do take a 20 percent comission. The swaps act as a fundraiser for the club, so I don't mind paying the 20 percent. Sellers are asked to tag their items and collect them after the swap. Advertise a week or 2 in advance by posting flyers at the rink. We ask that all items be in good condition. We haven't had to turn anyone away but that doesn't mean it won't ever happen. :) Good luck!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 11:17:19 PM »
One of my LTS students tonight (makeup class) was wearing SP-Teri skates that had to be two sizes too big.  Her dad bought them at the swap they had last year.  I guess they are the target audience, not the higher-level skaters.  Those parents are resigned to buying new.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »
One of my LTS students tonight (makeup class) was wearing SP-Teri skates that had to be two sizes too big.  Her dad bought them at the swap they had last year.  I guess they are the target audience, not the higher-level skaters.  Those parents are resigned to buying new.

You know, you bring up a good poit about used skates and LTS parents. I wonder if there should be some kind of flyer available by the skates for sale explaining the "do's" and "don't's" of buying skates? I have noticed a lot of the LTS skate parents asking coaches for advice, so that is good but I wonder if it would be helpful to have some kind of "cheat sheet" flyer available for parents to read? Whenever I sell skates, I tend to make sure they are aware of what they need to do to make sure skates fit properly. I also refer them to people who are more "in the know" then I am. I think I got lucky when I bought dd's first skates. I bought her Riedell Blue Ribbon skates which were perfect for her. She wore those until she outgrew her skates. I really didn't know what I was looking for. By the time dd needed a newer pair of skates, I asked the skating director for advice and he measured her feet for me. Anyway, I think I might look into this idea for our next swap. There may even be something available on the USFS site. Hmmmm...

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »
When we run our skate swap, it's a one-day event. Skates arrive early; they are tagged and priced, and ordered by size. They are put on tables with people guarding them - to avoid 5-finger discounts.

Then, we set up a central "try on" area with carpet and chairs. This cuts down on damage to the skates and the blades.

We use senior skaters who know what they are doing to ask for skating level, choose, and fit the skates. People aren't allowed to just "grab" and fit themselves; they get assistance, which helps on many fronts, including preventing damage to the skates and theft. 

Where there is a question aboiut suitability, we suggest the skaters text/call/go find their coach to ask for direction.

We also keep a cheat sheet of the retail price of the various models and blades so that people have an idea of what they are saving. Particularly good for newbie parents.

Yes, the club takes a cut; it goes to charity.

Skates that aren't sold but are good ones in reasonable sizes: if the parents want to leave them with the club, they are there in case somebody wanders in looking for a pair, and they will be sold on an individual basis.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 11:10:29 PM »
Cheat-sheets would be great!

Chart of major manufacturers' boots / blades and recommended skating levels.

Quick pointers on assessing the remaining life of used boots or blades.

Retail price that gives perspective about the quality of the skates, else they all look the same to new skaters / new skating parents.

Rules of thumb on the maximum amount of growing room. Warnings and measuring tips for wide or narrow feet that require custom boots.

(Do custom boots sometimes wind up on skates swaps? e.g. skates labeled as EE ball and AA heel?)

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 09:35:56 AM »
Cheat-sheets would be great!

Chart of major manufacturers' boots / blades and recommended skating levels.

Quick pointers on assessing the remaining life of used boots or blades.

Retail price that gives perspective about the quality of the skates, else they all look the same to new skaters / new skating parents.

Rules of thumb on the maximum amount of growing room. Warnings and measuring tips for wide or narrow feet that require custom boots.

(Do custom boots sometimes wind up on skates swaps? e.g. skates labeled as EE ball and AA heel?)

I know a few skaters in custom used skates that just happened to fit perfectly. Its very weird, but does happen. They were not sold a swaps though, they were sold at a proshop that sells used skates.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »

(Hey, hands off my skates!!)