You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: The "No Undies" Rule  (Read 31995 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: The "No Undies" Rule
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 10:55:56 PM »
Okay, well, we pay a very nice lady to make dresses that fit properly so that the entire crotch area is completely covered, regardless of leg position, and she uses elastic that doesn't roll or pull aside.  I have seen other dresses where the crotch is so narrow that it is potentially indecent should the skater not have additional coverings. At one point, the international competition videographers were directed to avoid shooting up skater's skirts due to potential issues.

Now, undies. Commando for the girls, because they find it more comfortable not to have another layer of fabric shifting about, and neither care for thongs or high cuts, and both dislike panty lines.  And, frankly, by the time you layer undies, tights, and snug fitting skate bottoms, there is - chafing - potential.

We have a very famous pic of our elder DD skating in a comp - on a Sunday - and you could clearly read "THURSDAY" on her day of the week panties. For comps, they wear lighter weight tights than for daily wear, and there is no way panties could NOT show through.

I do think though that whatever the choice, the skater should do runthroughs with the undergarments of choice to avoid surprises on competition/test day.  If a skater does wear undies, then, a pre-skate "butt check" should be done (bend over, touch toes, make sure all is neat and tidy and in place). 

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 08:24:13 AM »
So 99% of the "look" is perfect, but that ruins it all for you?  C'mon - cut the kid some slack and just blur your eyes from the distraction. 

I see it as another detail... heck I could care less what other kids (or adults) do, but my kid is not going to wear flowery bunched up underwear under an otherwise beautiful outfit.   We take care to make her hair look neat, her performance to be as clean as possible, pick out an appropriate outfit, clean her skates and then..... underwear bunches....not happening here.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 08:25:56 AM »
Why is everyone focussing on the undies showing, when I would be worrying about the dress not providing adequate coverage. If you wear big undies then you need larger dress coverage. Same applies to the top end for the teenagers. They have assets which shouldn't bounce out.
As an adult I buy dresses which provide adequate coverage at the top and at the bottom.

Not necessarily...one test session, my then 9 year old dd was wearing her competition dress with some underwear that was a big too big for her, so it was hanging down on the leg.   She forgot about it when she got dressed so back to the bathroom we went.   The dress had plenty of coverage but the underwear didn't fit right.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 08:51:07 AM »
Here's my "big idea" of the day.  The sporting goods stores sell "sleeve adjusters" for shortening shirt sleeves temporarily.  We can use them to hike up the sides of saggy pants, lol.

Sleeve Flexers

Having a special pair of undies for skating dresses makes perfect sense -ones that fit properly and don't show.  I don't think thongs really serve the purpose, to be honest.

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 09:11:44 AM »
Here's my "big idea" of the day.  The sporting goods stores sell "sleeve adjusters" for shortening shirt sleeves temporarily.  We can use them to hike up the sides of saggy pants, lol.

Sleeve Flexers

Having a special pair of undies for skating dresses makes perfect sense -ones that fit properly and don't show.  I don't think thongs really serve the purpose, to be honest.

I found some for my dd's unitard called Barely There-- they are thin and seamless and don't dig into the legs so the line is barely noticeable.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:52 PM »
Let's not forget the guys too. I really hate seeing the outline of a pair of jockeys (Y-fronts) or bikini panties under a pair of pants ... or, even worse (hopefully the mods will not block this ...) - the line of - nothing at all.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 04:44:43 PM »
Sk8mum - agree completely.  Men, meet dance belts.  You can buy full-backed ones if you don't like the usual kind.

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 07:53:35 AM »
So wait - some parents here want their children to have underwear on under the costume/tights, and have some that don't show - well, what difference does that make anyways?  If they don't show then they are not covering anything that has to be covered, as in, something that would show!

Also, wellgroomed women  ;D shouldn't have to worry about anything showing, savvy?  :angel: