You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Paramount mid-freestyle blade  (Read 3447 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Paramount mid-freestyle blade
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:33:36 PM »
So I talked to coach about getting a new set of blades with 9 foot rockers--I need the stability. He said okay, but no dance blades--I still need the freestyle tail. The only freestyle blade I can find with a 9 foot rocker is the Paramount mid-freestyle blade. It has 'smaller toepick" which is still a lot bigger than the rec blades I'm in now.

Anyone have any comments about these? The toepick doesn't look *that* big. But pictures aren't everything.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: Paramount mid-freestyle blade
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 10:40:14 PM »
I've heard you might need a special jig for sharpening them. I don't know much else other than there are a bunch of girls at my rink that love them.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:51:06 PM »
I've heard you might need a special jig for sharpening them. I don't know much else other than there are a bunch of girls at my rink that love them.

Maybe you're thinking of parabolic blades?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:13:02 PM »
The paramounts do require a special holder to be sharpened correctly.  From what I understand it 'can' be done without it, but not as accurately... if I had paramounts I know I would want it done right.  Just check with your sharpener (or pro shop) to see if they can handle them.  The blades are popular enough now that it's probably not a problem like it was a few years back and the blades were newer.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 11:48:21 PM »
The paramounts do require a special holder to be sharpened correctly.  From what I understand it 'can' be done without it, but not as accurately... if I had paramounts I know I would want it done right.  Just check with your sharpener (or pro shop) to see if they can handle them.  The blades are popular enough now that it's probably not a problem like it was a few years back and the blades were newer.
My sharpener had never even heard of them when I asked if he had ever sharpened a pair...  88) Then again, he doesn't keep up with the skating world at all anymore.  I think the majority of his clients are my coach's students and my coach is a gold seal snob.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 01:29:19 AM »
So I talked to coach about getting a new set of blades with 9 foot rockers--I need the stability. He said okay, but no dance blades--I still need the freestyle tail. The only freestyle blade I can find with a 9 foot rocker is the Paramount mid-freestyle blade. It has 'smaller toepick" which is still a lot bigger than the rec blades I'm in now.

Anyone have any comments about these? The toepick doesn't look *that* big. But pictures aren't everything.
The mid blade according to this page is NOT Stainless Steel like the others.
[url]http://www.ultimateskate.com/Paramount-Skate-Blades/?gclid=CMqziLCz3KcCFRFOgwodCFyb_g[/url

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 02:27:43 AM »
Are Coronation Comets on a 9ft rocker as well? I know they're a lot flatter than the Coronation Ace, but can't remember what they actually are. I've heard of pairs skaters wearing them because they're looking for more stability.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 07:12:07 AM »
Comets have an 8.5 ft rocker.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »
I have a pair of decent comets in size 9.5.  If you can use them, they are yours for the shipping.
My glass is half full :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 07:20:55 PM »
Thanks I'm sending you a PM.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 10:03:18 AM »
I thought the Paramounts have an 8' rocker.  I found one website that says they have a 9', but the Paramount website doesn't say that... 

I skate on the mid-level blades and honestly, they took a small amount of time to transition to from my Gold Seals (which took some time to transition to from my Mirages) but the Gold Seals were so worn down (got them on used boots- I'd never pay for blades that expensive) that they had nothing left to them, so I think that was the main transition.    Otherwise, I really haven't been able to tell the difference between any of the blades...