You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Thinking of going back to adult LTS -- but I really need skates  (Read 3216 times)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
I learned crossovers, both forward and backward, could to inside and outside edges on a circle, backward one foot glide...it was fun.   Now my dd is at the rink every Saturday doing off ice class and I started thinking of doing the adult LTS for fun and some exercise but my skates really stink.   

I have wide feet and I don't want to spend too much...any recommendations?

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: Thinking of going back to adult LTS -- but I really need skates
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
http://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/Jackson-Classique-JS1990-Womens-Figure-Skates-JS1990.htm

Jackson Classiques have a nice blade and they are a similar stiffness to the Freestyle. I know the blade can take you through beginning jumps and spins (Toes, Sals, scratch, and sit) but not much else. They are also not a ton of money to spend. If I were giving advice to a friend I would suggest them and then eventually move on to a Competitor or Premier with an Ace or Protege if they want to stick with skating.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »
I agree with the Classique recommendation. 

Jacksons run a little wider, so a regular width might be enough for a slightly wide foot.
The only problem is that the Classiques don't come in "C" (wide) widths, so get measured before you order.
I take that back - the Classiques come in "B" and "C" widths. (I was thinking about the boys/men's Marquis - one M width fits all.)

Definitely get measured, though.  I was talking to our pro shop's fitter and she showed me that the sticks are almost a full length-size off for adults.  (Riedell vs. Jackson) 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:53:21 PM »
Also, don't Jacksons come in split widths?  I remember the Big Guy telling me he was so duckfooted that only Jacksons would do.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:01:45 PM »
Maybe it's an option on the higher level skates, but not on the PVC-bottomed beginner skates.  I asked for a student once.

I seem to remember that they charged a little bit more money for split-width on stock skates because they were customizing the boots.

-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 09:13:19 PM »
There is a $100ish fee for split widths. SP Teri and Riedell can do it too for a fee, but not in the lower level Riedells adn SP Teri doesn't have low level stuff anyway.

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:05:07 PM »
I have a pair of split-width Jackson Freestyle skates that I might try to sell after my new Jackson Premier boots arrive.

I've been jumping a lot -- half-jumps and singles -- since I got back into skating this spring, and I need a sturdier boot that also is a true D-width in the front and B-width in the heel.

Our head coach, who fitted me with my new skates, said I wouldn't be able to sell mine because they've been bumped out too much, but my freestyle coach said you never know. So, mine are a size 7.5 with a C front and a B-width back. The front is bumped out to almost be a D-width.

Anyhow, just in case this size isn't somehow miraculously your size and you still need to hunt for a pair, I only paid $250 for this pair including the blades. My Reidells were like $300+ 10 years ago, so I thought these Jacksons were a deal at the time. Even though they are "freestyle" skates, they are soft enough for a beginner, I think.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:51:57 PM »
Good idea about the Classiques.  Be careful you don't end up with Mystiques or Artistes by mistake, as they all look very similar but only the Classique has the decent beginner blade - the others have rec blades.

There is a $100ish fee for split widths. SP Teri and Riedell can do it too for a fee, but not in the lower level Riedells adn SP Teri doesn't have low level stuff anyway.

When I ordered my Jacksons boots 9 (?) months ago, I was charged $50 per split.

Jacksons leather-soled boots come as "X" width heel = "X + 1" width ball (eg:  A heel = B ball, C heel = D ball).  If you want B heel plus D ball that costs one split, being the standard C ball plus 1.  If you want A heel and E ball, that costs 3 splits.  The A heel comes standard B ball.  To go from B ball to C ball is 1 split; to D ball is 2; and to E ball is 3.  (I used the boot punch to get the F ball!!)