You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Synchro Blades - Seriously - 9' Rocker?  (Read 4393 times)

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
Synchro Blades - Seriously - 9' Rocker?
« on: March 09, 2011, 03:02:48 AM »
GAM G20S are advertised as having a 9' rocker  :o and saying these make intricate footwork easy  :o
Seriously? 

I am currently in Ultima Freestyle, considering switching to synchro blades as I mostly do Synchro & dance now but still like toe-picks.
Was thinking a 7' rocker might be best, but is 9' really better for footwork ???!!!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Synchro Blades - Seriously - 9' Rocker?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:26:04 AM »
GAM G20S are advertised as having a 9' rocker  :o and saying these make intricate footwork easy  :o
Seriously? 

I am currently in Ultima Freestyle, considering switching to synchro blades as I mostly do Synchro & dance now but still like toe-picks.
Was thinking a 7' rocker might be best, but is 9' really better for footwork ???!!!

I'm in Ultima Synchro (for synchro and dance) and Ultima Legacy (for freestyle). I prefer this as it means there's no transition time between boots as they are on the same rocker. Apparently my ISE Sterlings were the same but the profile was really a lot flatter (due to not having the same spin rocker) and it didn't make turns easier. If anything things were actually harder.
I think it's all personal preference, but if you're happy in the Ultima Freestyle, I'd consider switching to the Ultima Synchro blade as it should be a comparable profile and the toe-pick is still nice and beefy if you do still want to do the odd jump.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:49:30 PM »
That's an interesting question. I think 9' rocker must be the flattest blade around.  Back when I was still doing figures the rule of thumb was that the flatter the blade, the better the glide. I don't see how it would improve your footwork. I noticed that GAM publishes a 'torque factor'. If this is the amount of torque to turn on the blade, the information shows that the torque required to turn on the G4 is 1.634, while the torque needed to turn on the GS20 is 1.796. If 'torque factor' means amount of effort needed to turn, then the lower number is better. However, The website says the 'torque' is "High torque factor for good boot to ice clearence". This makes no sense. Torque is a moment of force about an axis. I know what torque is. How it's related to 'boot to ice clearance' I got no idea.

I went to the GAM website first, and this blade is not on there.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:56:40 PM »
After a moment of searching I came across this on a hockey site.
"Now, some of you may have heard other players say, "I have a forward radius, or I have a 9' radius." What they are saying is they had their rockers changed to one preferred by forwards, or one shaped to 9' radius. Radiusing (also called Profiling and Contouring) is a proven process that allows you to select exactly how much blade is in contact with the ice. More blade = faster speeds and more stability; less blade = easier pivot, turns, and agility. Another option with radiusing is to change the factory pitch or lie of the blade, which will balance the skate for better maneuverability and control. These changes will improve your skating and hockey game. A blade shape that is not right for your style and stance can cause muscle fatigue, reduced skating efficiency, and less power for shooting and passing. It's all about proper body balance. "

So, if the GAM 20S has  flatter rocker--you get more speed and stability. However, if you go with a blade with a 7 foot rocker, less contact with the ice--less speed and stability--better turns.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline katz in boots

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:38:35 PM »
More blade = faster speeds and more stability; less blade = easier pivot, turns, and agility... So, if the GAM 20S has  flatter rocker--you get more speed and stability. However, if you go with a blade with a 7 foot rocker, less contact with the ice--less speed and stability--better turns.

And that's exactly what I thought!!!  Which is why I was amazed to see a 9' rocker being described as making intricate footwork easy.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 03:09:46 AM »
And that's exactly what I thought!!!  Which is why I was amazed to see a 9' rocker being described as making intricate footwork easy.

Well it's meaning you're more stable on your feet so perhaps that's helping making the intricate footwork easier?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
Well it's meaning you're more stable on your feet so perhaps that's helping making the intricate footwork easier?

This is what I was thinking also.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 03:54:53 PM »
I want these blades.

But the pictures I've seen show no difference between the synchro and the dance version. Yet there is a hundred dollar difference.

Offline katz in boots