You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How do "copy cat" blades compare?  (Read 5853 times)

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
How do "copy cat" blades compare?
« on: March 06, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »
I have a friend that's in Pattern 99's and they are running out of metal to sharpen so she is going to need new ones in around 2-3 months. She is looking in to Paramounts because she thinks they look cooler  88) anyway will the Paramounts and Ultimaa (brands that say their blades are copies of others) feel the same and act the same on the ice? I've been curious about it, but I've never asked a skate tech.

Offline toepix

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 1
Re: How do "copy cat" blades compare?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:48:01 PM »
I can't help but to jump in on this one, even though I think this is my first post on this board. I had skated for years on Pattern 99 blades, I love them and was very very hesitant to switch. The lady that has down my skates for me forever recommended I try Paramount 420s, they were cheaper and I was on very tight budget, they are lighter( not that I cared, I am an adult and weight was not the big of a deal), and they hold there sharpening much longer. I used to have to have my blades done every 4-6 weeks, and now I can hold out and not need a sharpening for 6-8- or even 10 weeks. The time between sharpening has been great since I drive my blades over an hour to be sharpened. And in addition my skating has improved I am landing 2 new doubles, I love them, they cut the same if you put them next to my Pattern 99 (I still teach in these on a different pair of boots), they look the same. I can't speak for other blades, but Pattern 99 and Paramount 420 are both great blades, but I will not go back now from Paramounts they are awesome. The different colors are also nice, but it is just an added bonus.

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:22:13 AM »
I also went from Pattern 99 to the comparable Paramounts.  The Pattern 99's had been sharpened down to the point of uselessness and there was a minor adjustment there, but no different than when I had replaced my original Pattern 99's with another pair.  I have the 420's and love that they stay sharp for a good 3-4 months (skating 2 to 3 times a week right now) as opposed to maybe 6 weeks on the Patterns.  

And yeah, the colors are a lot of fun.  A friend of mine said she heard that the judges in her area don't like to see the colored blades so she bought the (boring IMO) chrome ones so she didn't get "dinged" on any tests she might take.  I have blue ones and have tested and the judges haven't said a word about them (and honestly, they're watching the wrong thing if they're that hung up on the color of your blades anyway - also IMO).

ETA, the only way I can personally see non-silver blades being a big deal is on a synchro team where it very well might cause that skater to stand out from the others when they shouldn't...

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »
Have heard more than one judge comment that they don't care for the coloured blades; they are distracting, and, I've also heard the comment that "cutesy doesn't work above the 10 year old level" - regarding the pink ones. (Just quoting, not endorsing).

I must admit, I was watching a skater with pink blades - and I did find them distracting, partially because I kept looking at them because I was trying, at first, to see what was making me think there was something "different" them, and I did thus end up missing some of the skating. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:52:51 AM »
They should offer blades in pure white so the judges can't see what edge you're on, roflol!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
They should offer blades in pure white so the judges can't see what edge you're on, roflol!

Or totally transparent! (just in case some ice surfaces are tinted)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 12:07:49 PM »
Or totally transparent! (just in case some ice surfaces are tinted)
"Cinderelly, Cinderelly, gotta help our Cinderelly..."  (Apologies to Walt Disney)

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »
I don't think many, if any, judges would actually ding someone for colored blades, but they do draw attention to the feet because they're different that what one normally sees. And there are definitely times I do not want attention unnecessarily drawn to what my feet are doing... (that said, I wouldn't have any problems with students getting them if they want them, regardless of age - skating should be fun!)

And, yes! Transparent blades would be perfect. How better to achieve the look of effortless flow than to appear to be floating above the ice?

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 12:19:26 PM »
"Cinderelly, Cinderelly, gotta help our Cinderelly..."  (Apologies to Walt Disney)

Off topic:

I <3 Cinderella...one of my nicknames as a kid was Kimberella because 1) I have a fairy godmother and 2) I used to complain about having to clean the house on Saturdays while my parents went grocery shopping and my brother watched pokemon...

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »
Paramount does offer a white, but the runner is still chrome.

For a few days last summer we had an equipment problem at the rink and there was a lot of fog.  There was a test session planned and I joked that I would test in my white dress so the judges wouldn't be able to see me do anything wrong.  The problem was fixed in time and I didn't test, anyway.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 02:25:35 PM »
I also went from Pattern 99 to the comparable Paramounts.  The Pattern 99's had been sharpened down to the point of uselessness and there was a minor adjustment there, but no different than when I had replaced my original Pattern 99's with another pair.  I have the 420's and love that they stay sharp for a good 3-4 months (skating 2 to 3 times a week right now) as opposed to maybe 6 weeks on the Patterns. 

And yeah, the colors are a lot of fun.  A friend of mine said she heard that the judges in her area don't like to see the colored blades so she bought the (boring IMO) chrome ones so she didn't get "dinged" on any tests she might take.  I have blue ones and have tested and the judges haven't said a word about them (and honestly, they're watching the wrong thing if they're that hung up on the color of your blades anyway - also IMO).

ETA, the only way I can personally see non-silver blades being a big deal is on a synchro team where it very well might cause that skater to stand out from the others when they shouldn't...
I was thinking of getting Paramount next time and I would get the Icy Purple.  Has anyone seen these in action?  I imagine that they would not be as distracting as, say, hot pink.

If I get Paramount, though, I may switch to Pattern 99 as I am currently in Phantom because the Paramount Pattern 99 is cheaper than their Phantom.  We'll see...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 02:32:08 PM »
I've seen Icy purple on skaters at ISI Synchro Nationals.  (I was a little worried about my Icy pink blades, but my coach said no big deal, and we placed exactly as we should).  The teen teams often had 4 or 5 skaters with different colored blades.

They don't really stand out that much.

If you were competiting at high levels or on a serious synchro team, stick to tradition- but below the singles intermediate level, who cares?

I've never met a judge who said they would take off for blade color, or even an ugly costume as long as it was acceptable to the standards of a sport.

I personally love my Paramounts (I want hot pink next, they weren't available then) and find that I spin very well on them.  I don't jump well no matter what I would wear.  I switched to them from Gold Seals, which came on my used skates - but I have no need for expensive blades. (I wear the cheaper paramounts)

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 03:47:39 PM »
I've seen Icy purple on skaters at ISI Synchro Nationals.  (I was a little worried about my Icy pink blades, but my coach said no big deal, and we placed exactly as we should).  The teen teams often had 4 or 5 skaters with different colored blades.

If you were competiting at high levels or on a serious synchro team, stick to tradition- but below the singles intermediate level, who cares?

I've never met a judge who said they would take off for blade color, or even an ugly costume as long as it was acceptable to the standards of a sport.

I personally love my Paramounts (I want hot pink next, they weren't available then) and find that I spin very well on them.  I don't jump well no matter what I would wear.  I switched to them from Gold Seals, which came on my used skates - but I have no need for expensive blades. (I wear the cheaper paramounts)

That's good that they won't stand out much.  They don't look much different than the chrome, and I will just feel better knowing that there are purple blades underneath me.  My next pair of boots will be SP Teri beige.  I hope it looks good with the purple blades!

Does anybody know of any problems with sharpening the Paramounts?  I looked through old threads and didn't see anything.  Last time I had my blades sharpened, I asked my sharpener if he had done them and he had never even heard of Paramounts... He is really good, but just hasn't kept up on the skating news for the past, oh, twenty years...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 03:53:41 PM »
The Paramounts used to require a special jig that the pro shops were unwilling to buy when the blades first came out.  Early on, people would buy two sets of runners so one could be installed while the others were sent away for sharpening.  The blades have become more common, so many pro shops bought the tool to service those blades. 

If he's resistant to change, and has never seen the Paramounts, he might be a holdout.   If you know of someone else with those blades, ask who sharpens them.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 04:00:55 PM »
He has been around a long time, but just does sharpenings as a side job and obviously doesn't have any clients with Paramounts.  I doubt he would be willing to buy a special attachment just for me.  There is one skater in the area that I can think of with Paramounts, so I will ask who sharpens her blades.  Thanks!

PS:  Paramounts have interchangeable runners?  I thought that was just the Matrix series?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 04:07:30 PM »
You could see the pink blades quite clearly on the ice, but, they weren't Paramounts - they were the Matrix ones; they were very obvious from the stands. Perhaps because it was a single skater instead of synchro? 

It's the same argument as the hair and makeup thing.  Do judges have a column for "messy hair" as a deduction? No, they don't. However, as threads in the forum have noted, a good overall impression, at any level (from low up to adult) does help.  Do some judges dislike the coloured blades? Some sure do. And some also dislike strappy dresses on little girls; too much glitter makeup or glitter on the hair; coloured illusion; neon colours on dresses; etc etc etc.  You can't please everyone, unfortunately. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 04:09:15 PM »
Now that you ask, I don't know if the Paramount runners are removable.  I was thinking about the Matrix blade system.
I think you're right that they don't come apart: they're only sold as one item, unlike the Matrix where you can buy the chassis and the runner separately.

Sharpening info:

http://www.paramountskates.com/ourblades.php
Paramount Sk8s new sharpening machine. Coming Soon...
This skate sharpener will duplicate all three blade profiles shown in the About Our Blades section of the website. This machine will repair and restore profiles to their original form. It will repair and restore Jackson and Wilson blades to the perfect 7 or 8'' profile. See the below link:
http://www.paramountskates.com/Sharpening.php

http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?product=e78LATowxaOUgFFiTs7OkQ1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

Note about the jig:
Skate Technicians - Matrix Sharpening Jig available - contact by email at info@jacksonultima.com or by phone at 1-800-263-1666 for further details

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
Paramount runners are not removable and do require a slightly different set up to sharpen them.  None of the sharpeners in my area (middle of nowhere- no proshops) have a problem. One told me she needs a different set up for them though.  She didn't buy any sort of special attachment, just has to rig the machine differently.

I can't figure out how to post a picture on the forum here, but if anyone wants to see what they look like on the ice PM me your email and I will send a picture.  You can TELL they are colored, but I don't think they stand out.  Gold stands out a lot more.

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »

The "icy" colors are pretty subtle and don't stand out that much at all...we have people with icy pink, purple, and blue at our rink and you ***really*** have to look closely to see that they're colored at all.  I've seen photos of myself skating in the icy blue ones and it's really hard to tell.

We have one coach who has the bright pink ones (she's a lot of fun, they sort of fit her personality), and a skater in green ones, and yeah, those do stand out a bit, but in a fun way. The girl with the green blades competes either Int. or Novice....I can't remember which right now...and I'd think the green might clash a bit with certain colors of dresses, but I really can't say it's distracting when she's practicing, anyway.  Maybe because we have so many kids in the colored ones that I'm used to them.

Offline chowskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 03:21:30 AM »
I agree the paramount's "icy" colors are barely visible on the ice. I have sold many Paramounts and the most "distracting" one was the skater who wanted bright red on one skate and green on the other. Another skater had yellow fading to turquoise, very very pretty...

The "icy" colors are pretty subtle and don't stand out that much at all...we have people with icy pink, purple, and blue at our rink and you ***really*** have to look closely to see that they're colored at all.  I've seen photos of myself skating in the icy blue ones and it's really hard to tell.

We have one coach who has the bright pink ones (she's a lot of fun, they sort of fit her personality), and a skater in green ones, and yeah, those do stand out a bit, but in a fun way. The girl with the green blades competes either Int. or Novice....I can't remember which right now...and I'd think the green might clash a bit with certain colors of dresses, but I really can't say it's distracting when she's practicing, anyway.  Maybe because we have so many kids in the colored ones that I'm used to them.