You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Soft tissue injury?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
Soft tissue injury?
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »
My dd- 10, somehow landed funny in her off ice class when doing a jump -- she sort of landed on the outside of her foot a tad, and I guess she bruised the soft tissue-- it isn't black and blue and it isn't really even swollen, but she says it hurts when she pushes to her outside edge, or tries to land a jump.   I assume just ice and rest for a couple of days? 

It was hurting when she walked, which it isn't anymore, so there is some progress...

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
Re: Soft tissue injury?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:37:18 PM »
It could be one of several things: she may have sprained one of the smaller ligaments on the side of the foot, or strained the peroneal tendon on the side of the foot.  Yes, ice and rest for a few days, and avoid the things that hurt.  Try skating again in 3-4 days to test it, and if it still persists, take a few more days off.  If after that it continues to hurt, see a doctor.  A primary care MD would send you to an orthopedist or physical therapist to get a specific diagnosis.  Hopefully you won't have to get to that point.
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »
I'm overly cautious about any injuries to knees, joints or feet, as these are critical to skaters, and young skaters in particular have a great deal of vulnerability in these regions. Myself, it would be a) to the paediatrician and b) to the physiotherapist, and, depending on their recommendation, moving forward from there (x-rays, MRI, physiotherapy, ultrasound ... etc etc etc). You could have a small fracture in there, or a soft tissue injury; it's impossible to diagnose yourself, and not treating it properly could lead to a long-term problem. 

My guys are healthy, and structurally sound because we've always been aggressive about any injuries in these areas, and take all of the time off that we are directed to do. 

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »
I ended up taking her to the orthopedist...luckily, no fracture...he believes she just gave it a good bruise and that because of its proximity to her growth plate, it is causing a bit more pain than expected...a couple days rest and he thinks she will be fine

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:44:25 PM »
I have friends who are pediatric ER doctors and they told me that, in young children, many of the joint injuries classified as "broken" aren't really bone injuries, they're growth plate injuries.  I never knew that.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »
I have friends who are pediatric ER doctors and they told me that, in young children, many of the joint injuries classified as "broken" aren't really bone injuries, they're growth plate injuries.  I never knew that.

One of my dd's skating buddies dad is a sports medicine guy...so he gets they need to be healthy, but also that they need to practice and does a great job of balance...called him!

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 11:43:02 AM »
All is better...nearly no pain, and all double jumps landed up through double lutz first try--- she was so much happier.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »
I'm late to this, but I wanted to make a comment based on personal experience.

You can bruise the bones in your foot fairly easily, and it can take months to stop hurting. I did this by getting thrown off a horse. Within a few hours my feet hurt so much I ended up in an orthopedist's office, and the diagnosis of 'bruised bones.' The delay of pain for a few hours and the fact that heat will relieve the pain early on, I was told is indicative of bone bruises.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/