You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: chrome on blades peeling  (Read 2454 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
chrome on blades peeling
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:21:08 PM »
I am a new adult skater. I bought a new Riedell 133TS with the Quest Onyx blade last week, and I've used it only for a total of 7 hours (2+3+1).

For some reason, the chrome on my right blade below the toepick has peeled, and I am worried that it might rust if not replaced. On the other hand, I am also worried that if I have the blade replaced, the blade might be out of alignment.

The part where the blade peeled does not directly touch the ice -- it is right above the unplated area of the blade (the part which can be sharpened), and is directly under the toepick. The peel is not visible from the side, since it peeled on the underside of the blade.

So which is more likely: having the blade rust, or having the replacement blade mounted incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: chrome on blades peeling
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:32:53 PM »
If you have a new blade remounted at a good proshop it will probably be better than the factory mounting. I've been at the pro shop for sharpenings and buying tights and I've seen them not sell skates to kid bc the blades aren't mounted right or remount blades on the PVC soles because the mounting is off.

Offline toronto_skater

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: chrome on blades peeling
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:39:41 PM »
I had that same problem with one of my skaters blade (same model) and they replaced it for free. It shouldn't rust though (at least that is what I was told when the chrome on my ultima blades pealed). The chrome is cosmetic so if you would prefer to keep your current  blades, go for it.