You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What video cams do you use to tape your practice/things you're working on?  (Read 6690 times)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
Wondering what others are using for on-ice video?  I need a new iPhone and want the 6+ for the video stabilization but it's so big for carrying around on a daily basis/won't fit in back pocket - how I carry my phone now most of the time.

A photographer friend suggested a GoPro but not sure if that's overkill as I'm not going to wear it.  Just the opposite, I want to video my skating.  Also thinking of what will sit on the boards best and not fall over and the iPhone is definitely not the best for that, especially the new ones.  (I have and use a 4S now but have virtually no space on it so can only do 1-2 minutes of video).
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
I borrowed a Sony HDR-AS15 a while ago.   The lens was very nice and it did 120fps (in 720p) which makes for lovely slow-mos.

e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1vwABDpGiI

Also the shape seemed much less silly than a gopro for strapping to the side of a helmet,  though I only tried it on a tripod.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
Is that your video?  Your dogs? 

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Is that your video?  Your dogs?

No, that's just a random example I found to show what 120fps is like.   I picked it because it shows jumping and lots of footwork though admittedly not very much spinning ;)

My own skating footage was summarily deleted in a pique of embarrassment.   I'm still trying to forget it ;)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
Aww ok you - shouldn't be embarrassed!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
I use an Ipad with a heavy duty rubber cover.  This way the video is big enough to see right away and I can actually see myself in it from a distance to make sure I am in the frame.  The cover keeps the ipad from sliding and will protect it if it falls.  I have a slow mo app on mine- Video Pix, but I am sure there are others. 

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
This isn't quite true slow motion, because the original frame rate is still probably 30 frames/sec, but there are a bunch of programs out there which smoothly interpolate between original frames to create synthetic slow motion.

The advantage would be that you could use your current camera (or mobile device or smart phone with a camera), and get a very cheap software program instead of buying an expensive new camera. The disadvantage would be that something could hide in the original frame gaps that you wouldn't see.

Like maybe an under-rotated jump landing?

I haven't tried them, so am not sure how well they work. I am not a good enough skater to be video'd.

Has anyone tried one of these?

There are lots of software reviews, which you can all find using a search engine, like:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fappcrawlr.com%2Fandroid-apps%2Fbest-apps-slow-motion-video&ei=tfqmVO3KAoOegwTGkoHQCg&usg=AFQjCNG-CeT7ZJPtjEpQENZJUfsAfstaFw&bvm=bv.82001339,d.eXY

http://gadgetstouse.com/app-reviews/best-apps-for-slow-motion-video-recording/20119

http://techpp.com/2013/12/05/slow-motion-video-apps/

Also, Microsoft Windows Media Player can do these sorts of things too, and more or less slow down the sound too, provided the video is in a format that Media Player supports:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6916841_do-motion-windows-media-player.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n2erdXeKQ8

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Example of using Windows Media Player (under Windows 7) to drop video play speed by 2.

1. For an example video, download a random Youtube video, such as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbfRRXHqLm8

which happens to be Michael Wiess's "Ice Skating - How to Perform the Six Basic Jumps" video.

If you don't have a way to do that, try:

A. Make sure you have Java and Firefox installed:
   http://java.com/en/download/ -> "Free Java Download"

B. Go into the Firefox browser:

C. Change the video address, by adding an "ss" in front of "youtube" to get
  https://www.ssyoutube.com/watch?v=MbfRRXHqLm8
Type that into the address bar, and hit enter.

D. Wait a minute or two until a set of "Download links" labeled
  FLV 240p
  MP4 360p
  WebM 360p
  3GP 144p
  3GP 240p
  Audio MP4 128
appears.

Click on "MP4 360p", the highest res common format choice available.

Chose to "save" the result rather than go directly into Media Player.

Open the download folder, by clicking on "My Computer" or other folder, and navigate to
  c:\Users\<my user name>\Downloads
where the video appears as file
  "Ice Skating - How to Perform the Six Basic Jumps.mp4"

2. Open that file with Windows Media Player
(Right click on that the video file -> "Open With" -> "Windows Media Player".)

3. It starts to play at normal speed. Pause the video (click on two highlighted parallel vertical lines), click on the little box at the upper right hand corner of the window to make it full screen, right click in the window, select
Enhancements -> Play speed Settings.

Move the bar to ".5", Right click on the "x" to kill the settings window, and click the Play (Highlighted blue right-arrow).

It plays at half speed. Michael Wiess sounds a bit weird, and the video isn't perfectly smooth, but you are being much too picky.

You can now notice some of the details of these jumps

I'm sure some of the other apps can slow things down by more than a factor of 2, and maybe with fewer artifacts, but this gives you the general idea.

Offline amkw

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
I use my iPhone as well, but I have a 5 with 32gig of storage so the video quality is probably a little better and I can store a ton of practice videos on my phone. For filming I will typically use the built in camera but then I use the Coach's Eye app to watch videos later. It's a really great app and it costs $10 I believe, but it has been so worth it. You can slow down, watch frame by frame, draw, and also if storage is an issue on your device I know that there is a cloud based storage option. Something to possibly look into with your next phone or in the mean time while you search for a camera :).

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
The GoPro camera has a suction cup mounting system that could be mounted almost anywhere in an ice rink. I think the default setting on GoPro is a wide field of view, which sometimes can give a fish eye look when viewing the video but I think that is correctible.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
Re: What video cams do you use to tape your practice/things you're working on?
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »
Oh thanks, great information!  I am so torn.  I like the idea of everything on my phone - then would get the 6+ so there aren't any really protective cases for it yet.  The other cams sound way more fun though.  Then I'd probably just upgrade to the iPhone 6.

Ooooo, someone should come out with a suction up accessory for that!  Or really for all phones.  :  )  Love the idea of the suction cup for the GoPro, if it works well.

Offline amkw

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 02:32:10 PM »
Oh thanks, great information!  I am so torn.  I like the idea of everything on my phone - then would get the 6+ so there aren't any really protective cases for it yet.  The other cams sound way more fun though.  Then I'd probably just upgrade to the iPhone 6.

Ooooo, someone should come out with a suction up accessory for that!  Or really for all phones.  :  )  Love the idea of the suction cup for the GoPro, if it works well.

Wasn't sure if you were familiar with the otterbox defender line for iPhone, but that's the case I put on my phone when I skate. It makes it thick enough to prop on the boards http://m.otterbox.com/apple-iphone-6-plus-cases/apple-iphone-6-plus-cases,default,sc.html I just looked and they have one out for the 6 plus if you go the phone route. Looks like they're running a 20% off sale right now as well.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »
Nice!  Thanks for letting me know @amkw!

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 11:40:16 PM »
  Love the idea of the suction cup for the GoPro, if it works well.
I mounted my GoPro with the suction cup mount on my sea kayak and paddled in 32 mph winds with no problems. Other kayakers have used their suction cup mount to film themselves doing eskimo rolls without any problems.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 11:53:39 PM »
Wow cool  Now I'm eyeing the HERO 4.  I need to get action shots of dogs too....

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 01:10:52 AM »
Check photojojo for suction cup things for phones... I know they carry little tripods for them! I have an iPhone 6 and occasionally use that. I used to have a 5 and the video was great as well.

If I am remembering right, you can play back any video in slow motion on an iOS device. Will go look that up

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 01:13:41 AM »
http://www.technipages.com/play-video-in-slow-motion-on-iphone-ipad

There we go. If you get the video in the videos app (ie edit and then import or sync) you can watch it in slow motion. Also the 5s and later can record in slow motion

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 10:48:11 AM »
Wasn't sure if you were familiar with the otterbox defender line for iPhone, but that's the case I put on my phone when I skate. It makes it thick enough to prop on the boards http://m.otterbox.com/apple-iphone-6-plus-cases/apple-iphone-6-plus-cases,default,sc.html I just looked and they have one out for the 6 plus if you go the phone route. Looks like they're running a 20% off sale right now as well.

Just a note: a lot of the Amazon reviews for the Otterbox cases for iPhone 6 say that they don't fit properly.  Apparently, they're mis-sized for the latest model.   Which is why I have a Speck case on my iPhone 6.

I've used Otterbox Commuter cases for my iPod and iPhone 4.  They're great - I've dropped the devices on the ice, on tiled floors and paved driveways/sidewalks without any damage to the device.  I also use a screen protector religiously 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 02:00:16 PM »
Good to know, thanks @Isk8NYC!