You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Used Blades Help  (Read 2203 times)

Offline madionice

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Used Blades Help
« on: July 11, 2021, 11:15:21 AM »
So one of my coaches recently switched to Edeas and couldn't use her old blades since Edeas typically size down 1/4 inch for blades compared to other boots. So when I said my blades were actually 1/4 inch too long for my boots, she mentioned that her old blades were JW P99's in 9 3/4, the exact size I need. She offered them up and I'm definitely interested in them, but I have a few concerns:
1. I trust her, but I've heard buying used blades can be risky and I haven't physically seen the blades.
2. I'm not going to lie, the picks on those things seem scary!

Any advice? I've been considering new blades for a little while, and I feel like I got really lucky for my coach to have exactly what I need. They're really nice blades and I feel like they would take me far but I just feel like I need a few extra opinions in case I haven't thought of something. I'm also not sure what questions I should be asking about them before I make my decision.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Used Blades Help
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 12:05:31 PM »
I wouldn't buy sight unseen. Have your coach bring them in and look at how much chrome relief is left on the side of the blade as a first step. If it's less than half what chrome relief is new, I'd probably pass. I have photos of new Pattern 99s in this thread - http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=8464.0

I suspect that your sensitivity to the picks will depend on your skill level. Even if it's a problem at first, like many things in skating, I predict that you will get used to them quickly.
Bill Schneider

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 3
Re: Used Blades Help
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 10:52:04 PM »
Is she offering them to you for free? What blades are you skating in now?