You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Training for the Olympics?  (Read 24517 times)

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
Re: Training for the Olympics?
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2010, 12:26:21 PM »
That is a shame for her.  Why Japan?

Mom from Japan, grandparents live there. They sent her alone for a year.Parents stayed here.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2010, 12:58:22 PM »
Mom from Japan, grandparents live there. They sent her alone for a year.Parents stayed here.

My dd has a friend from Bulgaria, and she goes there (with her parents) every summer.  Her mom was telling me how the focus is so different, that these little kids can jump, but they cannot really skate.  I didn't realize Japan was a great place to train.  I would think there are plenty of places here in the US.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2010, 09:33:39 AM »
Japan has a lot of great singles skaters now.  Ladies - Mao, Miki, Suguri, Kanako Murakami... Men-Takahashi, Kozuka, Oda... Their training methods are different than ours, but maybe the parents really wanted their skater to get to know the grandparents while there? 

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2010, 01:11:50 PM »
Japan has a lot of great singles skaters now.  Ladies - Mao, Miki, Suguri, Kanako Murakami... Men-Takahashi, Kozuka, Oda... Their training methods are different than ours, but maybe the parents really wanted their skater to get to know the grandparents while there? 
I really wish I  could say that was the reason :(Her mom had this idea of how she would come back with D/A and go to Jr nats.She did improve over the past year but then so did my my skaters lol.Her grandparents speak little English.
They do things very different there and I am sure she got alot out of it . Its not her going that I find odd, its her going by herself at age 10.She told my DD she hated it,missed her brothers and sisters and her own bed. She came back and started with her back hurting her.
Its a shame, as she is a good skater. Its the Mom that has her own issues.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
Unfortunately, skate mom (or dad), is not an uncommon occurence in this sport.