You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating callus?  (Read 9597 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Skating callus?
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »
Um so far I have one hard callus on the ball of my right foot. Since the left is negligible guess it comes from how my right foot reacts on jump landings. I used to live with it ok but it now hurts in new skates... Although having soft skin for break-in is likely worse? LOL

Just curious what typical skating calluses are out there? ;) fun stories welcome!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Skating callus?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:27:26 AM »
I have calluses on both of my big toes- my boots are just a bit too narrow (even after moving to wides) and they rub.

It's never hurt or blistered, but they aren't pretty :(

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:13:21 PM »
Calluses on my fingers from tying laces.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »
baby toes from too small skates. If you're getting a callus on the ball of your foot ... sounds like your foot is perhaps slipping in your skate, which is not good, yes?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 12:55:24 PM »
I have one on the outside ball of my right foot, but it's really from my sneakers because I tend to lean that way when I walk.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 01:39:54 PM »
Bingo! Really should have asked this question much earlier to realize that my skates *were* too big. Better late than never, and thank you everyone!

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:02:22 PM »
No calluses on my toes or anything, but I actually miss the calluses I had as a kid on my ankles that prevented me from having to wear bunga pads (not that there was such a thing or that they would have been allowed)...I need to just get up the guts to skate without the bungas, but last time I did that, my ankles were slightly a mess.

Offline axelbaby

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 02:50:01 PM »
One thing you can try to take the pressure off the callus are "dance paws."  You can get them from any dance store or online dance distributor (dancewearsolutions.com or discountdance.com). I started using them in my skates after getting stress fractures in the bottom of my foot. 

They sell several different version.  Personally, I like the extra padded ones for additional cushion.

Offline sk8Joyful

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 07:25:45 PM »
Um so far I have one hard callus on the ball of my right foot. Since the left is negligible guess it comes from how my right foot reacts on jump landings.
I used to live with it ok but it now hurts in new skates... Although having soft skin for break-in is likely worse? LOL

Just curious what typical skating calluses are out there? ;) fun stories welcome!
Never had a callus, 'til started skating: on ankle right side of my R-foot, about the size of a half-dollar.
Lotioning, it just gets bigger. As it doesn't hurt, I just ignore it. - More fun things to think about, lol

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:58:21 PM »
On the sides of my big toe joint. Way too much time on my inside edges trying to do pretty stroking, I guess.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »
Based on the replies so far, misfitted boots are huge factors. Assuming the equipment is perfect (for elites I *hope* that's mostly the case after break-in), what marks does the sport leave on the foot? Just heard about "pump bump" today and not sure what is it...

Allegedly skaters and ballet dancers have ugliest feet. Definitely saw horror pictures in the "Conditioning for Figure Skaters" book by Carl Poe...