You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Box splits  (Read 5684 times)

Offline kayskate

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 88
    • Figure Skating Journal
Box splits
« on: October 31, 2010, 10:41:49 AM »
Is anybody here trying to get their box splits or is able to do them already?
I am working on this. I already have standard splits on both legs and want to have the full set. I am about 3-4 inches off the floor. The exercises I have been doing are V stretches standing and sitting. Lean forward and place head/chest on the floor. I also do a straight split and pivot to a box split. Does anybody have other suggestions? So close and yet so far.

Kay
Kay
Visit my skating journal
www.skatejournal.com

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Box splits
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 11:03:43 PM »
Straight splits are also called straddle splits, right? 

I wasn't sure what a box split was, but I'll assume it's a front-to-back split that a skater would perform during a split jump.  (As opposed to a Russian Split, which is a straddle split.)

One stretch I learned about recently is to use a wall for the forefoot while the rear foot stays on the floor, so you're upright facing the wall.  Facing a barre/railing is another stretch, and I think Doubletoe used a barre with the rear foot up.  She spread the split by stretching the hamstrings.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:30:30 AM »
I think the term "box split" is referring to the more commonly term "straddle" split.  As a former gymnast - the only tried and true way to get your splits is to hold the stretch for a VERY long time.  No bouncing, just hold.  Once you've held that split for as long as you possible can, do it again!  Also - "breathe" while you're holding your splits.  It's crucial!!!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »
Since the OP said she does a straight-to-box split, I don't think they're the same thing.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »
Box splits are straddle/side/Russian splits. I think straight splits refers to front/standard splits.

edited to add: I don't have any advice for the OP - I've never had full splits in any direction, despite years of dance.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 02:51:59 PM »
Oh, I thought straddle splits were side-to-side and straight splits front-to-back.  Thanks!
Pay no attention to what I posted earlier.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 03:28:43 PM »
Is anybody here trying to get their box splits or is able to do them already?
I am working on this. I already have standard splits on both legs and want to have the full set. I am about 3-4 inches off the floor. The exercises I have been doing are V stretches standing and sitting. Lean forward and place head/chest on the floor. I also do a straight split and pivot to a box split. Does anybody have other suggestions? So close and yet so far.

Kay

Wow, I could have written his post!  Only difference is, I'm afraid to pivot from a a straight (forward) split to a box (side/middle) split.  I'm scared I might pull something./  :-\

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:07:22 AM »
doubletoe, use your arms to help you pivot through.  Also - try and lean back as far as you can in your forward splits - it'll help the flexibility needed to pivot through (eventually).   

Offline kayskate

• Mohawk of Doom
    • Figure Skating Journal
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 12:28:52 PM »
I do use my arms to pivot from straight to box.
Here's an interesting vid I found of a kid doing box splits w pillows as a stretching aide. Might be worth a try if I can find that many pillows.

Kay
Kay
Visit my skating journal
www.skatejournal.com

Offline Doubletoe

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 01:49:18 PM »
doubletoe, use your arms to help you pivot through.  Also - try and lean back as far as you can in your forward splits - it'll help the flexibility needed to pivot through (eventually).   

I'm not really picturing what you mean about the arms.  When you get a chance, do you think you could give me step-by-step instructions on "pivoting" from the forward split to middle (box) split?

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 11:36:57 AM »
when you are in your forward splits - lets use the left leg in front for an example.  place your hands on the floor, right next to your hips.   Slowly shift your weight to your right hand.  As you're doing this, rotate your hips to the right as well.  You may need to use your hands to gently lift yourself off the ground, leaving your feet on the ground.  Bring your left arm to the same side as your right as you are rotating.  As you do this continue to rotate to the right.  Eventually, you will find yourself in the straddle position.  You may, depending on your hip flexors, need to bend your arms once they are on the same side.  Lean on your forearms for a good stretch of the hip flexors.   Hope this helps  - also trying googling "split stretching".

Offline Teresa

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 10:51:28 PM »
I can do these on the floor. In cheerleading we called them chinese splits. It helps to be very flexible and have open hips. When you warm up don't bounce! Hold the position and then try to go a little further than comfortable. If your not naturally flexible it will take time. To be honest, sometimes it just won't happen. My best friend in high school tried really hard and it just never happened. I never had to work at it and it did. Even though I'm not as flexible as I was, I can still do them without effort. I think body design has a lot to do with it. Good luck.

teresa

Offline Doubletoe

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 05:35:28 PM »
when you are in your forward splits - lets use the left leg in front for an example.  place your hands on the floor, right next to your hips.   Slowly shift your weight to your right hand.  As you're doing this, rotate your hips to the right as well.  You may need to use your hands to gently lift yourself off the ground, leaving your feet on the ground.  Bring your left arm to the same side as your right as you are rotating.  As you do this continue to rotate to the right.  Eventually, you will find yourself in the straddle position.  You may, depending on your hip flexors, need to bend your arms once they are on the same side.  Lean on your forearms for a good stretch of the hip flexors.   Hope this helps  - also trying googling "split stretching".

Yeah, that's what I've been afraid to try, for fear of forcing the stretch and pulling something.  But I guess the higher I lift myself up with my arms during the transition from the forward split to the middle split, the more leeway I'll have and the less I'll be forcing it. . . right?

Offline kayskate

• Mohawk of Doom
    • Figure Skating Journal
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 05:52:14 AM »
Other things I try are standing straddles. I do a v-stretch standing and lean forward to put my chest on the floor then try to slide down farther. I also do a v stretch on the floor sitting and lean forward, chest on floor and push my legs into a wider split. Also from the sitting straddle, I rock forward to push my legs into a wider position then reach my arms forward and put my chest to the floor. All of these methods produce a wider split. I also try to slide from standing to a box split.

Whatever you do, be very warmed up. And don't bounce. You should feel the pull but not pain.

Kay
Kay
Visit my skating journal
www.skatejournal.com

Offline Doubletoe

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 03:28:44 PM »
Other things I try are standing straddles. I do a v-stretch standing and lean forward to put my chest on the floor then try to slide down farther. I also do a v stretch on the floor sitting and lean forward, chest on floor and push my legs into a wider split. Also from the sitting straddle, I rock forward to push my legs into a wider position then reach my arms forward and put my chest to the floor. All of these methods produce a wider split. I also try to slide from standing to a box split.

Whatever you do, be very warmed up. And don't bounce. You should feel the pull but not pain.

Kay

Yes, those are my standard stretches as well.  It sounds like we are in just about the same place with these splits!